Kelowna's Bad Drivers and Big Accidents

Home of the traffic rant.
Spocky
Fledgling

Re: Kelowna's Bad Drivers and Big Accidents

Post by Spocky »

No more than 15 minutes ago, I was headed south on 97 and was probably 100 yards from the "Your Choice: Vancouver" sign before the connector ramp when a late model orange Challenger passed me on the right at such a ridiculous speed that by the time I got to the point where I could see the connector ramp, he was already gone! That had to be at least 220-240 kph. *bleep*? RCMP? Help! :200:
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Casus Belli

Post by Casus Belli »

And of course all you complaining about speeders are all perfect drivers yourself - probably half of you are the ones who can't figure out to turn into the closest lane when turning onto a cross street, or are the ones holding up traffic so that only two people can get through an intersection....
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Spocky wrote:No more than 15 minutes ago, I was headed south on 97 and was probably 100 yards from the "Your Choice: Vancouver" sign before the connector ramp when a late model orange Challenger passed me on the right at such a ridiculous speed that by the time I got to the point where I could see the connector ramp, he was already gone! That had to be at least 220-240 kph. what the heck? RCMP? Help! :200:

I've been passed by a late model orange Challenger on Clement at a ridiculous speed.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

crookedmember wrote:I've been passed by a late model orange Challenger on Clement at a ridiculous speed.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same yahoo. He went by so fast I didn't stand a chance to get his plate number.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Nicolette_Fuller
Fledgling

Post by Nicolette_Fuller »

Kelowna has plenty of bad drivers and you can't just limit them to the speeders, there are the people who simply don't know where they're going and swerve from one lane to the other, people who don’t use their signals, people who FORGET their signals are on. One I’ve noticed now on SEVERAL occasions are the dumb *bleep* who are hot boxing their vehicles while driving. It seems that lack of common sense has become an epidemic lately.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

I bought a gopro last week to run as a dashcam in my car. Hopefully all these dumb drivers wreck in view of it so I can rake in the youtube hits :)

As bad as it seems, the to/from work drivers will always be the worse kind. If I'm on the roads during those morning/evening times, I'll usually have a driver in front of me doing 5-10 under the limit and a driver behind me a foot off my bumper.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

What I have been doing the last few years when someone is tail gating me is that I tap the brakes.
If they do not back off I will tap the brakes a few more times and if they still do not back off then I
will ease off the gas and gradually just go slower and slower.
I will not be bullied into going faster since I had already been going over the speed limit already.
If the "bleep" gets off my a** then I will speed up.
You want to get into an accident jerk, go for it just don't involve others.
By simply not tail gaiting alot off accidents would not happen.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

It does seem unbelievable that so many accidents have occurred lately, i mean there have been two or three at Dilworth/Harvey then today the one out by the airport (what the hell was going on there?)
I saw a car yesterday being towed by a tow truck (or so i thought) turns out the woman driver of the silver Cobalt was tailgating the tow truck so close it was plain madness. If he had stopped quickly that huge metal bar across the back would have wiped out her car. She did this for about 4 blocks until she turned off.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

And yet another bad one tonight and the driver of the truck does a runner. Never mind eh just another friggin maniac who shouldn't hold a licence.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/87 ... f-accident
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Too many bluehairs in this town, that's all.

:popcorn:
Your bias suits you.
Pacific
Fledgling

Post by Pacific »

Other common Kelowna driving things are almost causing accidents by swinging across two or even three lanes immediately after making a left turn at lights with no signal and just generally not using signal lights.

The drinking driving thing is scary and Kelowna needs some bloody checkstops and speed traps, I've never seen one checkstop in 5 years and I see a speed trap 1-2 times a year. Hate to say it because I know how unpopular it is (and it will hit me too) but we should have photo radar if they aren't actually going to set up radar traps.

I get how stretched the police are here with all the knuckdragging gangster wannabes but traffic enforcement is just totally ignored it feels like.
Last edited by Pacific on Apr 16th, 2013, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Woodenhead wrote:Too many bluehairs in this town, that's all.

Disagree. It's the eighteen to twenty-something gang that are the worst. And women as much as men. Make that "boys".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

What gets me is the severity of damage caused in these primarily in town accidents all you have to do is take a look at the vehicles involved and you know right away excess speed is involved and distracted driving ( texting and yapping) can be attributed to some of them "pure stupidity"
I hope the cabbie is going to be ok in the case of this crash tonight I am not saying that this cab was at fault or partly at fault here because I dont know.

However Its been my observation that taxis are some of the worst offenders of our traffic laws (speeding, non use of signals and just poor driving habits) combine a drunk and a speeder and you have the potential for severe carnage .
Leader

Post by Leader »

I think that ICBC should have people do their road test again every 10 years and get the bad drivers off the roads. Problem solved? maybe, maybe not. And ALL ages should be included...not just seniors or young people. 16 is way too young to be driving and as for others, well, you pick up bad driving habits along the way so if you re-do the road test you will get nailed with scewing up and you would be off the road. As for the idiots that drive without their licences altogether, well that is another topic altogether.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

It is spring...happens every year.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”