2013 - Bike Lanes & Right-Hand Turns

Home of the traffic rant.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: 2013 - Bike Lanes & Right-Hand Turns

Post by SurplusElect »

Why don't people drive on the sidewalk to beat the people who are driving in the bike lane to make a right hand turn?

Same difference.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

SurplusElect wrote:Why don't people drive on the sidewalk to beat the people who are driving in the bike lane to make a right hand turn?

Same difference.

Heck, why not? I've seen people who park on the sidewalk plenty of times. :purefury:
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Does it mean the car can not enter/cross the bike lane at all?

As Kg Cayenne says, yes you are correct. Its a bike lane and has a solid white line. The right lane is there for you to turn, the left can be used to go straight, the small narrow lane with a bike symbol and solid lines is a BIKE LANE!

Actually if you go back a few intersections to the one at Cooper and Springfield they have made a good job of that one probably because space allowed. That has 2 straight though lanes and a right turn lane and a bike lane and there are dotted lines between right lane and bike lane showing you can cross over into the turn lane. Simple stuff really.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are quite a few intersections where there are dotted lines on the bike lanes that indicate you can cross them for a right turn. Of course you still need to make sure there are no cyclists in the area.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Drivers are completely out to lunch in Kelowna when it comes to cyclists! I like riding my bike sometimes, and I can't tell you how many times i have seen people pull off completely boneheaded moves like they are the most amateur of drivers! Everybody says that cyclists must always ride on the side of the road if there is a bike lane or not. I do things a bit differently. If there is a bike lane I will use it, but if there is no bike lane like on Harvey or parts of Gorden, I will ride on the sidewalk. There's absolutely no way that I will ride with traffic when there are so many dangerous drivers in Kelowna.

Its not just drivers, sometimes its the bikers that pull off dumb moves. An example is the countless number of bikes that use the left turn lane to make a turn. That's a pretty daredevil move if you ask me. I just use the crosswalk twice if I want to make a left turn onto another street.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

i wish I wasn't driving Id have a picture .Young lad with the oval sticker in the rear window of your compact import.You do not need to sit in the bike lane when there are 10 cars in front you cant get around anyway.
Peace be with you.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Cumungala wrote: Its not just drivers, sometimes its the bikers that pull off dumb moves. An example is the countless number of bikes that use the left turn lane to make a turn

This is the legal and safe way to ride.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

quote "Its not just drivers, sometimes its the bikers that pull off dumb moves. An example is the countless number of bikes that use the left turn lane to make a turn."

SurplusElect wrote:This is the legal and safe way to ride.

You're quite right. It can be a little intimidating to do at first but I've tried every other way I can think of to make a safe left turn and taking the turning lane is definitely the safest. Motorists can see you and know what you're doing. You can make your turn, signal, and then get back to the bike lane. I feel safer doing this now than using the crosswalk.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Bump
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Whoever you were in the dark grey SUV: When you used the bike lane to turn right from Ethel to Sutherland, the person turning left in the little red car couldn't see there was a bicycle behind you. I'm glad I suspected this was the case and covered my brakes to avoid being run over.

Disc brakes on a bicycle are superwickedawesome.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#124519
A cyclist is fighting for her life in hospital after being struck by a truck and pinned underneath.

According to unconfirmed reports by witnesses, the cyclist was in the bike lane when the 5-ton water truck turned into her and caught her underneath.

Fire Department crews had to use jacks to lift the truck enough to pull the woman out from underneath the vehicle.

Witnesses tell Castanet the woman was suffering from serious injuries including visible broken bones.

Kelowna RCMP are urging motorists to avoid the area of Pandosy Street and Cadder Avenue where the accident occurred.

An RCMP Collision Reconstructionist has been called to the scene and traffic is expected to be affected for a significant amount of time while a detailed analysis of the crash is completed.

Cst. Kris Clark says it is a very serious collision and they expect the road to be closed for at least several hours this afternoon.

I hope this woman survives! I am constantly seeing vehicles using the bike lane for a turn lane. It's not the shoulder anymore like it was in 1975, folks.
mconzatti

Post by mconzatti »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1IbnhjRiNU

Speaking of using bike lanes as their own personal right hand turn lane. Not one, but THREE morons decided to use the bike lane AND the shoulder on Rutland Road to turn on to McCurdy Road. There's even an RCMP vehicle at the intersection and not one person received a ticket!

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 16th, 2014, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal info removed.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Hillbilly boneheads, all of them.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That first one is totally unbelievable!

I saw 2 RCMP cars following several 1 person vehicle through 3-4 lights driving in the HOV lane.
No one got pulled over. Why bother!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:That first one is totally unbelievable!

I saw 2 RCMP cars following several 1 person vehicle through 3-4 lights driving in the HOV lane.
No one got pulled over. Why bother!

When Kelowna first got those HOV lanes, CHBC asked the RCMP the question about enforcing it and they replied that they won't be.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”