Hit and RUN!

Home of the traffic rant.
321lexus

Hit and RUN!

Post by 321lexus »

I know this is probably a pointless post but my fingers are crossed,
Saturday afternoon (November 2nd) between 1pm and 5pm my vehicle was hit very badly on the drivers side door and rear quarter panel. My Vehicle was parked between Future shop and Interior Savings @ orchard plaza. The vehicle is a 1991 deep red/maroon lexus ls400 4 door sedan. The culprit seems to have been backing out and turned too hard into the side of my vehicle and just kept reversing. There is a long streak of silver paint down the side of my car and I assume there will be red on theirs.
ANY WITNESSES would be a god send. I am a college student who was working at the time of the incident and so far have zero leads and my alberta insurance is basically useless in the situation. Anyone who saw the vehicle or could have any leads please let me know! Thanks in advance.
mxtaylor
Fledgling

Re: Hit and RUN!

Post by mxtaylor »

report to police. they will/should notify body shops for any silver vehicles needing repairs.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

mxtaylor wrote:report to police. they will/should notify body shops for any silver vehicles needing repairs.

They don't notify body shops.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
321lexus

Post by 321lexus »

I attempted calling the police but was told they do not attend hit and runs. :(
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Why would they attend unless there were injuries?
Why can't your insurance (Alberta) cover it?
If you are living and working in BC (not just going to school) shouldn't you have BC insurance?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
321lexus

Post by 321lexus »

The difference between me having coverage and no coverage for hit and runs is about $50-$80/ a month on top of my already high insurance. I am not a permanent resident yet as I have only been here since august, wouldn't make much sense switching my insurance to bc for the school months and back to alberta for summer.

Although this isn't this issue at hand, I whole heartedly agree the police have more important things to do than come look at my damaged car. Please keep this on topic and only post if you know the culprit or have any leads. Thanks again.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Approximately how much damage was caused to your vehicle in $ ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
321lexus

Post by 321lexus »

Well I know for a fact insurance would write it off seeing as it is a rear quarter panel, to cut out the damage and re weld a new panel in and re paint would be close to the 5k range. (going by alberta auto body standards and pricing.)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

321lexus wrote:Well I know for a fact insurance would write it off seeing as it is a rear quarter panel, to cut out the damage and re weld a new panel in and re paint would be close to the 5k range. (going by alberta auto body standards and pricing.)

That's a lot of damage for a parking lot collision. Call ICBC and see what they say.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

321lexus wrote: Please keep this on topic and only post if you know the culprit or have any leads. Thanks again.

Actually you brought it up.

321lexus wrote: my alberta insurance is basically useless in the situation.

As to whether you should have BC or Alberta insurance was just a question. I know in some cases it's not mandatory to switch if your permanent residence is Alberta. Wasn't sure if you were going to school and working if that was the case.
I believe with ICBC a hit and run might be covered with your basic insurance and not an add on. Doesn't hurt to check.

Just checked the ICBC website and you would be covered with them, maybe that's the same with your Alberta insurance.
Or maybe you can put in a claim with ICBC seeing as it happened in BC.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Not to derail this thread:
According to this from ICBC scroll down to just visiting or going to school http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/mo ... /moving-dl
Last edited by GordonH on Nov 5th, 2013, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:As to whether you should have BC or Alberta insurance was just a question. I know in some cases it's not mandatory to switch if your permanent residence is Alberta. Wasn't sure if you were going to school and working if that was the case.
I believe with ICBC a hit and run might be covered with your basic insurance and not an add on. Doesn't hurt to check.

Just checked the ICBC website and you would be covered with them, maybe that's the same with your Alberta insurance.
Or maybe you can put in a claim with ICBC seeing as it happened in BC.

If you are not touring you have 30 days. If you are a full time student at an approved school you can operate on your AB plate while full time.

I don't believe you need to have even basic ICBC coverage to place a hit and run claim, that's why I suggested 321lexus give them a call. The damage has to be over $750, that's why I asked how much damage there was.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

321lexus wrote:The difference between me having coverage and no coverage for hit and runs is about $50-$80/ a month on top of my already high insurance. I am not a permanent resident yet as I have only been here since august, wouldn't make much sense switching my insurance to bc for the school months and back to alberta for summer.

Although this isn't this issue at hand, I whole heartedly agree the police have more important things to do than come look at my damaged car. Please keep this on topic and only post if you know the culprit or have any leads. Thanks again.

There is really not much hope of this staying within the topic parameters you are hoping for. You do know where you are don't you? If I were you I wouldn't expect it to stay on topic for more than a page or two.

As for your particular situation, you should try Mall Security. They have cameras in that parking lot and one may have been trained in your vehicle's direction at the time of the collision. Then maybe you will have a make/model to go with. But do it quickly. Sometimes video is stored only for very short periods of time. And there is a possibility that security, if they have the video, will want the request to come from police who can then hand it over to you or your insurance company.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:
If you are not touring you have 30 days. If you are a full time student at an approved school you can operate on your AB plate while full time.

I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure which is why I asked.

KL3 has good advice as well as check with ICBC as you never know.
321lexus

Post by 321lexus »

No mall security cameras, I have talked with save on, future shop and the bank. None had cameras in the area. Thanks "my5cents" for the useful info! I will give it a shot as soon as class is done!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”