Speeders on Bridge and Westside

Home of the traffic rant.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Speeders on Bridge and Westside

Post by Poindexter »

When the #1 was being expanded in the lower mainland speed limits stayed relatively the same. Obviously because construction workers had a barrier between them and the motorist so logic prevailed. What makes kelowna drivers different than those in the lower mainland. Have our vehicles learned to levatate over barriers designed to keep semi's at bay? I have yet to see a construction vehicle merge onto the highway so no need for flaggers. I have yet to see a worker on the hwy side of the barrier so no risk of them being struck by a motorist. Let's face it, the same barriers line 97 throughout the okanagan and are considered safe enough for children to walk to school behind them. So why set a speed that causes such maheim?

And before the high horse brigade starts thier assault let me make something clear. It's not the time or inconvinience because we all know there are lights that sandwich the bridge so we're all going to be gathered there anyway. So I doubt it takes any more time now than it did before to cross the bridge. My problem with the 50k limit is it creates an unsafe situation. As many posters have noted, if you actually try to drive the posted 50 other drivers change lanes to get around you around as though you're an obstruction in the road.

Obviously the number one goal should always be to improve the safety of our roads and in reducing the speed to 50 they've only made that section of hwy more dangerous.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Poindexter wrote:When the #1 was being expanded in the lower mainland speed limits stayed relatively the same. Obviously because construction workers had a barrier between them and the motorist so logic prevailed. What makes kelowna drivers different than those in the lower mainland. Have our vehicles learned to levatate over barriers designed to keep semi's at bay? I have yet to see a construction vehicle merge onto the highway so no need for flaggers. I have yet to see a worker on the hwy side of the barrier so no risk of them being struck by a motorist. Let's face it, the same barriers line 97 throughout the okanagan and are considered safe enough for children to walk to school behind them. So why set a speed that causes such maheim?

And before the high horse brigade starts thier assault let me make something clear. It's not the time or inconvinience because we all know there are lights that sandwich the bridge so we're all going to be gathered there anyway. So I doubt it takes any more time now than it did before to cross the bridge. My problem with the 50k limit is it creates an unsafe situation. As many posters have noted, if you actually try to drive the posted 50 other drivers change lanes to get around you around as though you're an obstruction in the road.

Obviously the number one goal should always be to improve the safety of our roads and in reducing the speed to 50 they've only made that section of hwy more dangerous.

I agree and the only reason i could see they put it at 50 and not 60 was due to the sharper bend they have now temporarily created. Heading towards Kelowna its not as bad as heading out because as you come off the bridge and start climbing the hill you naturally accelerate and all of a sudden you are almost up and the limit becomes 50 so you find yourself backing off and everyone else is then passing on both sides. What is more of a pain is why oh why is this 50 limit 24hrs 7 days when they only work 8 hrs 5 days?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Because they don't have different speed limits for cars as they do for tractor-trailers.

Do you want a tractor-trailer beside you in that new temporary corner doing 60km/h+?

I don't.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

GoStumpy wrote:Because they don't have different speed limits for cars as they do for tractor-trailers.

Do you want a tractor-trailer beside you in that new temporary corner doing 60km/h+?

I don't.

That's why it's called a limit. Rumor is you can drive under it if you feel it is safer to do so.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I'm sure it has been said elsewhere. To the idiots that run up the overpass and down the other side to gain a couple hundred meters, I HATE YOU!! I watch the cars doing it behind me and I will never let you in. You SUCK!!!!!!
burner
Fledgling

Post by burner »

Couldn't agree with you more!!! My question is, Why is it designed that way? Who engineered that and was it part of their design or just a screw up!! Very frustrating and I too make it difficult for them to merge, only problem is the people that are legitimately merging from Westside Rd or the shopping centre, hard to differentiate, so I don't do it unless I am sure.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I hear you on the legitimate mergers. I feel for them but 90% are jerks going up and over. Is there even anything that can be done to stop this childish ,arrogant driving?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Regarding the above i am guessing that the line ups that occur due to the Boucherie lights will be greatly reduced when the new road is opened behind the shopping center as many will turn off at the new intersection currently being built to avoid waiting at the lights for the left turn, this in turn will fix the problem as there will be no need for "line jumpers"

I do agree with the comments that anyone who does this is an idiot and has no excuse to be doing it. I have said it before but to be honest it points towards a very bad bit of road design when it is actually quicker to leave the highway, travel over the top, through a set of lights and rejoin ahead of everyone that was already in front of you. How many other similar intersections around North America are like this?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

logman wrote:To the idiots that run up the overpass and down the other side to gain a couple hundred meters, I HATE YOU!! I watch the cars doing it behind me and I will never let you in. You SUCK!!!!!!

At the moment, the new underpass being built seems like a waste of money but hope it does limit this behavior. Back in Calgary, I had a few friends that worked in the deep south of town and lived in the north. They could do this exit hopping at least 4 times and save themselves 20 minutes or so getting home. Not supporting it, I can see the temptation in a situation like that, here on the weestside I've caught up to people doing this by Westlake or Ross Road so seems kinda pointless.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

All they had to do was put a meridian at the end of the offramp forcing drivers to turn either left or right. There's really no reason for anyone to drive up and straight over the overpass.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Poindexter wrote:All they had to do was put a meridian at the end of the offramp forcing drivers to turn either left or right. There's really no reason for anyone to drive up and straight over the overpass.

Surely that's not an option, what about those coming from the shopping area or First Nations offices and needing to turn left onto the down ramp towards Westbank? A meridian would prevent that turn i guess.
gmeikle
Fledgling

Post by gmeikle »

Teemu Selanne said he got fined 240k in finland for speeding. If it were me...8 bucks
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

"Exit hopping". Now that's a new one to me. Is that a common Alberta driving technique?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Poindexter wrote:All they had to do was put a meridian at the end of the offramp forcing drivers to turn either left or right. There's really no reason for anyone to drive up and straight over the overpass.

Transit Bus?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

logman wrote:"Exit hopping". Now that's a new one to me. Is that a common Alberta driving technique?

Just thought that term up all on my own. Thinking of trademarking it.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”