Speeders on Bridge and Westside

Home of the traffic rant.
cmaxi

Speeders on Bridge and Westside

Post by cmaxi »

I saw something on the bridge late afternoon today that utterly disgusted me. I'll set the story up first.

I live near the hospital, and recently have a new job where I have to drive near to the Gorman Mill.

I am amazed at how fast people drive over the bridge and to the Westside. Every morning I see people weaving in and out of traffic, to try and reach their destinations as quick as possible.

I drive in the far right lane over the bridge (speed limit 60), and I do 70 to 80. EVERY single car flys by me. I drive in the right lane for safety, and because I am not in a rush. However I often have some yahoo riding me to go faster. The funny thing is, all the cars that pass me, get caught at the red lights, and I catch up to them. Idiots!

Anyways, on the way home, just past the new theater, a grandma was driving in the left lane and had just passed me. I was in the right. We were both going the speed, or a little faster. A truck was aggressively riding the elder lady. Dangerously, close to her bummer. This went on for some time. Going up the bridge, the old lady (she had to be 80), pulled into the right lane ahead of me.

I watched the truck speed past: Nice looking truck, middle aged man, looked like someones Dad. He then proceed to pull next to the old lady, lay on the horn, and flip her the longest *removed*/ferri You I have ever seen! (I was able to read his lips). In proceeding to flip her the bird, and release his anger for not being able to drive 100, he almost crashed into her.

What kind of a person tells off a grandma? How do you sleep at night? Think of the old lady going home, and trying to shake off the aggressiveness of this *removed*/ferri .

If you ever get road rage, because you feel like you are above the law, and should speed aggressively, I urge you to take a look in the mirror. What kind of example are you setting.

Venting done.

Do not use offensive language. Do not use workarounds to the word censor. viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3627
delSol97
Board Meister

Re: Speeders on Bridge and Westside

Post by delSol97 »

cmaxi wrote:I live near the hospital, and recently have a new job where

... Well we now know who turned Pandosy into the 35-40kmh crawl ...

But seriously why is a 5 lane divided highway only 60kph? Even Benvoulin is faster.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I travel to Peachland every Thursday and Friday.

Today, a young fellow ALBERTA plates, texting as he passes me. I'm travelling the limit. He is observed in and out of traffic heading out of the City, I only wish the RCMP would start hammering these people.

We have too many unnecessary accidents in this City and it affects us all, long term high insurance rates which suck.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

if my grandma was still around shed have flipped him the bird right back, miss that ol girl
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

cmaxi, I soooooo agree with you.
These speeders are IDIOTS!
I will gladly buy them a gun if they want to off themselves,
just don't take innocent lives with you.
Every single day I'm back and forth over the bridge
and every single day I have an a** on my a**.
Its really really getting me mad lately.
I'm going 70,80, sometimes faster and yet I still have
an a** on my a**.
So what I do now if I have an a** behind me is I quickly tap
my breaks (hey buddy wake up).
If the a** does not back off then I will just ease off the gas
and as my car goes slower and slower then the a** has to go
slower and slower which is not what the a** wants to do.
If the a** backs off and quits tailgating me then I will resume
a faster speed.
Winter is coming, quit driving like an a**!
cmaxi

Post by cmaxi »

Post removed. Issues with moderation are to be addressed directly to the appropriate moderator via the private message system available on the user control panel, not on the open forum - fluffy
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

cmaxi wrote:I was in the right. We were both going the speed, or a little faster. A truck was aggressively riding the elder lady. Dangerously, close to her bummer. This went on for some time. Going up the bridge, the old lady (she had to be 80), pulled into the right lane ahead of me.

One of the biggest piss-offs (regardless of the speed) is when two people are travelling nearly the exact same speed side by side when there's open road in front of them. If she was just slightly ahead of you, then you were hanging in her blind spot, a very dangerous place to be for no reason.

delSol97 wrote:But seriously why is a 5 lane divided highway only 60kph? Even Benvoulin is faster.

Probably because some dummy didn't make the sides of the bridge very tall.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Speeding has become the norm as there is no true enforcement and if caught the penalties are way too low.
The BC government is looking again at increasing speed on some highways. What it will accomplish is even higher speeds for speeders. And since there is hardly any control, it be another free for all but just faster. On the oher hand driving from Kelowna to Vernon as an example it is 50k, then up to 70k then up to 80k then up to 90k then down to 70k down to 50k then up to 70k then up to 100k down to 90k down to 70k and 50k into Vernon. Maybe some adjustment is required there?
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

Lore wrote:cmaxi, I soooooo agree with you.
These speeders are IDIOTS!
I will gladly buy them a gun if they want to off themselves,
just don't take innocent lives with you.
Every single day I'm back and forth over the bridge
and every single day I have an a** on my a**.
Its really really getting me mad lately.
I'm going 70,80, sometimes faster and yet I still have
an a** on my a**.
So what I do now if I have an a** behind me is I quickly tap
my breaks (hey buddy wake up).
If the a** does not back off then I will just ease off the gas
and as my car goes slower and slower then the a** has to go
slower and slower which is not what the a** wants to do.
If the a** backs off and quits tailgating me then I will resume
a faster speed.
Winter is coming, quit driving like an a**!

Tapping the brake pedal isn't good because the brake lights come on (obviously). Try easing up on the emergency brake handle. Not hard enough to lock up the rear wheels but the sudden change in the gap without warning is a much more effective "back off" message.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

maxx wrote:Tapping the brake pedal isn't good because the brake lights come on (obviously). Try easing up on the emergency brake handle. Not hard enough to lock up the rear wheels but the sudden change in the gap without warning is a much more effective "back off" message.

There isn't a facepalm in the world big enough for this post.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

Thankfully someone saw the humor..........
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

maxx wrote:Thankfully someone saw the humor..........

I was not taking your post seriously.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

Wouldn't all these terrible people going faster than than the idiotic speed of 60 maybe indicate that 60 is way to flipping slow!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

nikonfan wrote:Wouldn't all these terrible people going faster than than the idiotic speed of 60 maybe indicate that 60 is way to flipping slow!

I thought 60 was during construction, but it never changed. The reason cannot be because of snow or ice in the winter either, because it's already a law to drive according to conditions. Most of the time 80 seems very safe, after all, how wide is the road again?

That being said, it's still no reason to be a rude driver. 1: driving in the left lane going 60-70 knowing most are going 80 and 2: tailgating the crap out of someone doing it.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Thought I read somewhere the speed was set at 60 due to the curve off the bridge onto Bridge Hill.

Increase the speed and the people doing 80 will now be doing 100. Still, 60 sure feels slow doesn't it.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”