Turning right onto HWY 33 from HWY 97

Home of the traffic rant.

When turning right onto Hwy 33 from Hwy 97 do you continue driving or stop at the yield sign?

Continue Driving them make appropriate decisions
82%
Stop and wait until you can turn into another lane
18%

Total votes: 28

baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Turning right onto HWY 33 from HWY 97

Post by baconbits »

Personally when I turn onto 33 I continue driving since my turning lane becomes it's own lane.

However the majority of people I see stop at the yield sign when there are cars coming even though there is no one in the lane in front of them.

I would like to see what people's thoughts are on this one.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Turning right onto HWY 33 from HWY 97

Post by cutter7 »

I keep driving, have not been in a situation where I needed to yield the right of way in that spot
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Those turn left off of 97 heading south should be turning into left lane on 33 heading east. So the only time this could/should be an issue is when light turn green on 33 heading east across 97.

I to have never had issue or had to yield to traffic at this spot, since I've hit it when green on 33 heading east.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

baconbits wrote:Personally when I turn onto 33 I continue driving since my turning lane becomes it's own lane.

However the majority of people I see stop at the yield sign when there are cars coming even though there is no one in the lane in front of them.

I would like to see what people's thoughts are on this one.

What directions are you traveling?

Coming from the north on 97 and going across all the northbound lanes to turn east onto 33?

Coming from the south on 97 and turning east onto 33?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I don't even signal when taking that lane. Why should I the road simply curves and I don't ever turn into anyone else's lane. The issue I think are all the people who are not familiar with the road there. For those who drive it regularly, we know there is never a car in that lane ahead of us, because the lane starts with us. We do need to be careful of idiots changing lanes into it from the left though.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

baconbits wrote:Personally when I turn onto 33 I continue driving since my turning lane becomes it's own lane.

They think slower always means safer because they're too stupid to realize they're putting themselves and the people behind them at risk of being rear ended.

They're too stupid to even contemplate staying in their lane when they turn. They take 2, sometimes 3 lanes when they turn [without signaling] so they sometimes wait until all 3 lanes are empty before they go.

When I'm there I don't expect my lane to stay empty, I expect people in adjacent lane on 33 to change into my lane without signaling, but even when that happens, it's safer to be going a similar speed to the rest of traffic.

The yield sign doesn't help, it shouldn't be there, but even with the bad signage, it's pretty easy to tell that's an extra lane and no merging or stopping is needed.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Is there a stop sign? Nope, didn't think so. If you can't handle a simple merge, hand in your license please.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Dizzy1 wrote:Is there a stop sign? Nope, didn't think so. If you can't handle a simple merge, hand in your license please.

Its not a merge its a yield. That lane quickly turns into a right turn lane down the road behind costco which with traffic coming and how Kelowna drivers don't know how merging works means you could be taking an exit you didn't want.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:Is there a stop sign? Nope, didn't think so. If you can't handle a simple merge, hand in your license please.

Oxl3y wrote:Its not a merge its a yield. That lane quickly turns into a right turn lane down the road behind costco which with traffic coming and how Kelowna drivers don't know how merging works means you could be taking an exit you didn't want.

It would help if drivers in Kelowna area would use signal lights to inform other drivers of their intention.

But I guessing that item is broken on most of vehicle since many don't use them.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Depends on what your intentions are after turn onto HWY 33.

1.) If I plan to get onto Ziprick (usually I would be heading to Costco) I will absolutely continue driving. Of course you have to be mindful that other drivers (those with an advanced left arrow from HWY 97 onto HWY 33 or those coming straight across HWY 97 from Enterprise) might also be trying to get into that lane to get on Ziprick as well. Since most reasonable drivers aren't going to immediately get into the right lane after coming across HWY 97, you're usually good (I say "reasonable" which unfortunately excludes a lot of Kelowna drivers).

2.) If I plan to continue traveling east on HWY 33 I pay attention to what lights the other traffic is facing. If we're on a straight green on HWY 97 in both directions and no one is currently turning left into HWY 33 then you're good to continue on, signaling left to take the lane on HWY 33.

The only time I find it becomes a big cluster-fack is when I want to continue east on HWY 33 while the other traffic legitimately is trying to get into that right lane to get onto Ziprick. It's a bit of a dance sometimes.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

In my first post in this thread I mentioned 2 main issues:

Those turning left off hwy 97(heading south) on to Hwy 33(heading east), if they intend to go to Costco/Ziprick. This could cause issues if they don't signal their intention.

Other group are those coming from Enterprise from west end of Hwy 33 heading east across Hwy 97, again if they are heading to Costco/Ziprick and don't signals to let other drivers know their intention could cause issues.

Signals are there to inform other drivers around you of your intention, maybe more of you should start using them.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:In my first post in this thread I mentioned 2 main issues:

Those turning left off hwy 97(heading south) on to Hwy 33(heading east), if they intend to go to Costco/Ziprick. This could cause issues if they don't signal their intention.

Other group are those coming from Enterprise from west end of Hwy 33 heading east across Hwy 97, again if they are heading to Costco/Ziprick and don't signals to let other drivers know their intention could cause issues.

Signals are there to inform other drivers around you of your intention, maybe more of you should start using them.

If I'm the vehicle at the yield coming off of 97 onto 33 and I'm waiting for that vehicle to come a.) straight across from Enterprise direction or b.) turning left onto 33 from 97...there is no way to know (signals or not) until that vehicle has pulled ahead of you on 33 to know what their intentions are (turning onto Ziprick).

For example, anyone traveling across 97 on 33 (coming from Enterprise) who is planning to move into that right lane and onto Ziprick isn't going to signal their intentions in the intersection...they're going to wait until they're fully across that intersection to flip their signal on. If you're waiting on signals to decide whether or not to continue driving, you could basically be stopped waiting at that point.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Do what is safe for YOU to do. Some people have slow reactions. Me, I never stop at the merge and I always look for what other drivers are doing, ie: turning right to go to ziprick. There is enough time to do this properly regardless of what others are doing. But some people are just not quick thinkers or reactors, so be safe and wait....PS I will honk after 30 sec. of you doing it.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Oxl3y wrote:Its not a merge its a yield. That lane quickly turns into a right turn lane down the road behind costco which with traffic coming and how Kelowna drivers don't know how merging works means you could be taking an exit you didn't want.

Fair enough, yielding is in a sense merging to a certain extent, while merging gives you the right to merge into another lane, yielding does require you to slow down/stop if traffic dictates.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I have never had a problem with this particular turn. I glance to see if there is anyone coming across to make the turn on Ziprick and I adjust my speed up or down depending.

I find that stopping in our region can be deadly. Or at least painful.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”