This may be the most powerful safe-driving ad of all time

Home of the traffic rant.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

This may be the most powerful safe-driving ad of all time

Post by oneh2obabe »

New Zealand firm releases shocker that takes ad world by storm
Published January 8, 2014

If there is one constant among drivers, it’s that many feel they are the best driver on the road. That arrogance leads motorists to drive faster than conditions or their experience allow. The consequences of making a mistake behind the wheel can be greater than making a mistake almost anywhere else.

Which is exactly what the New Zealand Transport Agency is getting at in a powerful safe driving ad, released two days ago. It went viral almost instantly, and it’s easy to see why: it’s shocking. It’s unforgettable. And it’s sure to make every driver think twice about speeding and the consequences of split-second judgement errors behind the wheel.

“This campaign aims to reframe the way that people look at their speed when they’re driving,” the agency explains. “A person may be a good driver but they can’t deny that people do make mistakes – after all, to err is only human. … We usually get to learn from our mistakes; but not when driving. Even the smallest of mistakes on the road can cost us our life, or someone else’s.”

In the ad, shown below, an impending crash is put on pause while the victim gets out and pleads for his life and that of his young child. It’s not overtly graphic, but it is utterly chilling. We must caution that this ad may disturb you, because it was meant to.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
rookie314
Übergod

Re: This may be the most powerful safe-driving ad of all tim

Post by rookie314 »

To the Mods. Put this on the Castanet Home Page!!!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Powerful.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

Interesting view on it. To stick with the time altering theme, I think it'd be better if they extended this to after the accident and showed long term injuries as if they were short term injuries happening over and over.

Show them aged 20 years and dad holding the kid down in a wheelchair and the kid begging to be let up but the dad doesn't hear it cause he's too busy talking on his phone. "You wouldn't do this [image of dad holding kid down], so don't do this [image of inattentive driver]."
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

I don't get this ad. Speed is bad but pulling out in front of someone is just a silly mistake? I have at least one person (usually more) ignore the stop sign they have or stop look at me and still pull out in front of me and cut me off just on my short morning drive. I am getting so sick of it and making excuses for bad driving like this commercial does doesn't help the cause in my view.
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

Pookybear wrote:I don't get this ad. Speed is bad but pulling out in front of someone is just a silly mistake? I have at least one person (usually more) ignore the stop sign they have or stop look at me and still pull out in front of me and cut me off just on my short morning drive. I am getting so sick of it and making excuses for bad driving like this commercial does doesn't help the cause in my view.

Wow. It's pretty simple. The guy pulling out didn't realise that the other car was speeding, therefor thought he had enough time to pull out. Simple mistake. The guy was speeding, most people speed, simple mistake. I don't know what you don't get.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Actually, in a situation like that the person about to turn onto the road has time to gauge the speed of the other. Not a little mistake, it was carelessness.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

It's always been the responsibility of any driver intending to enter the flow of traffic on a highway, to make sure it's safe to do so.

That includes gauging the speed of oncoming traffic properly, regardless of whether they are doing the posted limit or not.

Pull out when it's unsafe and you're to blame, simple as that.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:It's always been the responsibility of any driver intending to enter the flow of traffic on a highway, to make sure it's safe to do so.

That includes gauging the speed of oncoming traffic properly, regardless of whether they are doing the posted limit or not.

Or if your speeding, its my fault.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Don't pay to be dead right
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

One driver pulls out in front of another driver. That other driver is speeding.

Sounds like they're both wrong, so it still makes a powerful statement.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Oh good, glad I'm not the only one who caught that in regards to the other driver "thinking he had enough time" before he pulled out (giggidy) infront of the other car. While yes, driving faster than one should be can be not only stupid but fatal, so can making a poor judgement by pulling out infront of another car ... just saw that the other day ... driver figured he had enough time to make a left turn infront of oncoming traffic and bam!

As for the commercial being powerful. Nah, its just a commercial, I've seen much more powerful reminders on the roads we drive on.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:It's always been the responsibility of any driver intending to enter the flow of traffic on a highway, to make sure it's safe to do so.

You are correct.

There is another way of looking at this. Many people, do the slow and go, become complacent. They take a quick glance, observe the other vehicle and go. Sadly, that quick glance does not give you the opportunity to properly estimate the speed of the other vehicle even though the distance would be safe IF the speed was as posted, or the norm.

I have in many cases had to break from the posted speed limit because people for whatever reason pulled away unsafely from a stop sign, or have not stopped.

I think this is a great example, sadly we can't stop time and express our case.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

If by "powerful" you mean "cheesy" then yes, it's powerful.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”