Another driver misakes the gas for the brake...

Home of the traffic rant.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Car Crashes into Bulk Barn

Post by Randall T »

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:
Actually it's frightening to drive around them quite often, they're nearly causing accidents all over the place all day every day... the only reason they're not getting into those accidents is because most cars around them are thinking "oh god another old person" and watching them as they make horrible driving decisions.

It's true, you can't deny it.

Funny, I feel the same way with a lot of the "N''s trying to navigate around town. It all comes down to experience and attitude. Don't discriminate on age alone.
I birn quil I se
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Another driver misakes the gas for the brake...

Post by Fancy »

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:
Are you insinuating that I'm lying? Exaggerating? Can't tell the age of a person?

I am not being disrespectful, I am being mindful & observant.

Yup - disrespectful.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I'm disagreeing with the age and Alberta is at fault crowd.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Car Crashes into Bulk Barn

Post by Symbonite »

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... -Bulk-Barn

Heard this on the radio....and looking at the photo...imagine if someone was on the crosswalk....

Time to start testing over certain age as well wellness tests. Tractor trailer drivers need to do this all the time and medicals...time that we should be doing the same for everyday drivers and more frequent tests for people over 65.

On top of this retesting schedule at the same time as medicals.

Every 5 years till the age of 45 every 3 years till age 63 and every year after 66.....

I don't want to be wiped out because someone is forgetting how to drive or driving because they are not Physically able to.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Being discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=55088
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Younger movers and shakers are just jealous of older retired non-working people who make them slow down to a speed they should be driving.
I birn quil I se
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Randall T wrote:Younger movers and shakers are just jealous of older retired non-working people who make them slow down to a speed they should be driving.

This is 100% true.

But driving your car into a storefront is inexcusable.

It happens about once every 2 months in Kelowna alone, and I believe there are many accidents every day on the streets.. numbers wise this isn't a HUGE concern.

It is, however, very dramatic and (arguably) news-worthy each time it happens.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Symbonite wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/149392/Car-crashes-into-Bulk-Barn

Heard this on the radio....and looking at the photo...imagine if someone was on the crosswalk....

From the looks of Google street-view (this was the closest into the parking lot I could zoom) it appears that the "crosswalk" in the Castanet picture might actually be a small piece marked between two permit spots?
Attachments
bulk barn.jpg
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Always Sunny wrote:From the looks of Google street-view (this was the closest into the parking lot I could zoom) it appears that the "crosswalk" in the Castanet picture might actually be a small piece marked between two permit spots?

Probably meant sidewalk :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

all I can see in that picture is crosswalk which makes me wonder why he was even trying to park there
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Someone stepped on the wrong pedal. People run red lights too. All different age groups. That's why there are consequences/laws for our misdeeds.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Always Sunny wrote:From the looks of Google street-view (this was the closest into the parking lot I could zoom) it appears that the "crosswalk" in the Castanet picture might actually be a small piece marked between two permit spots?

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:Probably meant sidewalk :)

That too...but the Castanet photo from today made it look like the driver had actually parked on top of the white painted crosswalk...I was just posting this Google street-view image to clarify that (hopefully) the driver at least hadn't parked that way.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Yet another one today at quality greens on spall its an epidemic in this city
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Any guesses at the age of the driver?

What's most amazing with these cases is how nobody in the store was hurt. Phew!
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

slootman wrote:Any guesses at the age of the driver?

What's most amazing with these cases is how nobody in the store was hurt. Phew!

Mistakes happen for all ages and I don't think gender has anything to do with it but, generally speaking, the fact is: a majority of the time, these mistakes happen by anyone age 67 or older.

I would support annual driver licensing, through one-year driver's license expiry dates including a driver licensing fee of $75.00 to re-issue the license each year, for anyone age 70 and older. To be somewhat generous and sympathetic, a free driver's road test could be provided. At age 75, the same should apply with the addition of a certification by a medical practitioner of the driver's mental and physical fitness to continue driving for the next 12 months.

Some seniors may balk at the cost but, look at it on the bright side, if not certified to drive, they'd have an easy time convincing that same medical practitioner to sign off on an entitlement to the Disability Tax Credit, which would more than outweigh any annual licensing costs. This would also entitle them to door-to-door HandiDART service, provided they phone 24 hours ahead to book a pick-up. :)

Cheers,
Doug

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”