Poll: Auto vs. Manual

Home of the traffic rant.

Automatic Transmission vs. Manual Transmission?

1) Automatic
18%
2) Manual
31%
3) Both have their merit
51%
4) Don't care
No votes

Total votes: 39

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Poll: Auto vs. Manual

Post by Steve-O »

MT much more fun to drive.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

I have a manual transmission as do both my sons and both their girlfriends so it seems the younger generation can adapt and quite like the idea of changing gears. I think it gives you a better understanding of the whole driving experience and tends to keep you more focussed as you have to deal with the stick and a clutch. I have seen some terribly laid back drivers in autos with left foot either up on the dash or even half out the window on a nice day and almost slouching as if they are settled back ready for the movie to start rather than being in full control of a moving piece of machinery.
Of course here is North America it seems auto is king and while we have drive through of all descriptions i can see why it is popular and driving in heavy traffic is a pain with a clutch.
I have driven many autos and never ever tried to use my left foot to brake, it seems unnatural but regardless it doesn't explain the pedal confusion.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

After 40 years of driving, I still have 2 manual transmission vehicles.
I have a truck that is used mainly in the backwoods, the manual trans allows for more hold back in lower gear for going down steep hills, and less riding the brakes.
My little econo box 4 banger car is full of life with the manual trans.

Pluses with the manual trans's are: No need for fluid servicing and flushes at regular intervals, slightly better power and mileage.
Automatics are great, no shifting, more relaxed city driving, no leg/foot fatigue from clutching.

Automatics are so much better today then ever before, but they need servicing(fluid changes, flushing) to ensure a normal life expectancy.
If an automatic trans bites the dust, be prepared to spend a few thousand to repair.
If driven properly, a vehicle's clutch can last for 200,000+ kilometers, and a clutch is pretty cheap to replace.

My advice.....
Buy an Automatic, service it at 80,000-100,000 kms with synthetic, and every 100,000 kms after that.
Heat is what kills automatic trans's, synthetic fluid is your best insurance policy.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

UltraViolet wrote: slightly better power and mileage.

I've always thought the same "slightly better mileage". Recently when shopping for a new vehicle, was surprised to see the estimated fuel economy (oh yes, I know they lie), for automatics were consistently the lower of the two.

I don't think the fuel economy is an issue any more.

I certainly agree with you UltraViolet, the standard transmission for ease of maintenance and versatility is the way to go.

Let's put it this way, if I needed a vehicle to travel through completely uncharted territory with limited mechanical resources give me a standard trans every time.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

The reason for the poorer fuel economy in an automatic is due to the fact that there's no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the transmission like you have with a clutch. Nowadays with lock-up torque converters, at highway speed an automatic transmission should pretty closely match a standard transmission for fuel mileage, if the final gear ratio is the same.

For those who are interested, a simple explanation of torque converter operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6c4JaCIkPw

And a clutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

MattJ wrote:The reason for the poorer fuel economy in an automatic is due to the fact that there's no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the transmission like you have with a clutch. Nowadays with lock-up torque converters, at highway speed an automatic transmission should pretty closely match a standard transmission for fuel mileage, if the final gear ratio is the same.

For those who are interested, a simple explanation of torque converter operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6c4JaCIkPw

And a clutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg

I think also that back in years gone by automatics were 3 speed and that was it. Now the latest auto boxes are available with 8 speed electronic transmissions that are vastly better with fuel useage so they come much closer to manual transmission consumption figures.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Driving MT and having to stop and go half way up a hill in the middle of heavy traffic.

lol good times.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

I have driven manual sports cars for years and years. Had fairly recently a 1996, 1997 and 1999 trans am firebirds all manual ,had a 2008 z06 corvette manual and had quite a few eagle talon turbo manuals. My daily drivers were autos though.
Now up until couple of years ago lived in Regina. So used to very flat roads, not really that much traffic although its gotten a lot worse back there now. And really not many hills and more importantly hills with lights on them and not many of the steep driveways found around here.

Once moved here realized didn't like my 08 corvette anymore. I just wasn't comfortable especially on the hills in heavy traffic. Driving a manual in heavy traffic on flat roads is not a big deal if the clutch is fairly light ,if the clutch doesn't chatter and is not an on /off type of clutch. Most factory clutches nowadays are fairly light and most factory engage smoothly and don't chatter. Aftermarket high performance clutches can be really annoying in terms of pedal pressure, chatter and grabbiness. Fact I converted my 99 trans am over to auto as got sick of the high performance clutches .

They have added a great new feature ,at least most people like it into the newer cars. Not sure which ones have it but many do. The new corvette does. Its a hill assist feature and it stops the car from rolling back on hills when you take your foot off the brake. So this would really be a plus in places like here. Enough of plus to almost get me back into driving a manual again.
But the other big change in cars is that the newer automatics in most all sports cars and even in some not really sports cars , can be shifted manually with the stick, paddles ,etc. So you get the best of both worlds. Leave it in auto when you don't want to bother with it and put it in manual /manual shift it when you want to play but with no clutch pedal to worry about.

The three top domestic sports cars the top corvette model called Z06 and Zr1 were only available full manual previously. But in the seventh generation GM has not offered both an 8 speed auto and a 7 speed manual transmission. The lower models of corvette have offered manual and auto option for years. The Viper is still only available with full manual and so far not even a hill assist. The top ford mustang GT500 was only available in manual but maybe now with new generation of that they will also offer auto.
Many high end cars like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche in their 911 turbo and GT3 , Mercedes in their SL line only offer automatics now, some are dual disc clutch type but no clutch pedal and you can shift them automatically or manually and some use torque converter type of auto. Again you can shift them automatically or manually with no clutch pedal.

Anyway living here not a big fan of full manuals. If moved back to Saskatchewan ..which is not going to happen .. then might consider getting a manual again . The hill assist feature though is a big of a game changer.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

brounal wrote:But the other big change in cars is that the newer automatics in most all sports cars and even in some not really sports cars , can be shifted manually with the stick, paddles ,etc. So you get the best of both worlds. Leave it in auto when you don't want to bother with it and put it in manual /manual shift it when you want to play but with no clutch pedal to worry about.

My 69 VW Beetle came with that - it was called an Automatic Stick Shift and you could shift gears - or not. It didn't care. The clutch was a pressure plate at the bottom of the stick - press down on the stick and it changed to neutral, slide the stick into whatever gear you wanted. I loved that car. Husband hated it because he had a habit of resting his hand on the ball head of the stick and it would keep popping into neutral on him. LOL
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
xlauvawke
Board Meister

Post by xlauvawke »

Burnouts are easier on a 5-spd but auto is nice for cruising.
It's about an 80/20 split for me, favoring standard.
My name is John, my opinion is my own and no other.
lostsurferinbc
Fledgling

Post by lostsurferinbc »

I like bmw's smg transmission, get the best of both worlds.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

cars have had hill start assist from day one its called an emergency brake learn to use it !
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

It will be interesting to see what happens when these cars with 7, 8 and now 9 speed automatics are out of warranty and the transmissions have to be repaired or rebuilt. That sounds complicated. That sounds expensive. I pity drivers of the future of modest means who must buy used cars with these contraptions.

I've never owned a vehicle with an automatic, and I ain't gonna start now.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

It's challenging to use clutch, switch gears, look at the road, check your phone, and drink coffee if your gearbox is manual.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Captain Awesome wrote:It's challenging to use clutch, switch gears, look at the road, check your phone, and drink coffee if your gearbox is manual.

Who says they have to look at the road?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”