Jaywalking

Home of the traffic rant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Jaywalking

Post by Fancy »

I've had more close calls at a marked crosswalk than unmarked - I've had zero close calls jaywalking.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:I've had more close calls at a marked crosswalk than unmarked - I've had zero close calls jaywalking.

In all honesty, theoretically there is only one type of crosswalk, hence the term crosswalk. But improper use of definitions is another topic all together.

Personally, as a driver I've had more close calls at "unmarked crosswalks" (jaywalkers) than at places where people actually use a crosswalk.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:I've had more close calls at a marked crosswalk than unmarked - I've had zero close calls jaywalking.

Regardless, had the young girl used the crosswalk 100 meters down the road and waited for the little white stick man, chances are pretty good that this would not have happened ... the same conclusion could be said for the other girl who lost her life jaywalking in the exact same spot this past summer.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You probably pay very close attention when crossing the street. Some don't, especially teenagers.
She might have had her attention on her phone and not the traffic.
I hope she's OK.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bsuds wrote:You probably pay very close attention when crossing the street.

Exactly my point. Jaywalking hasn't been eradicated in cities that impose fines but what has been initiated is kitty corner crossing at intersections to improve pedestrian flow.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Fancy wrote:Exactly my point. Jaywalking hasn't been eradicated in cities that impose fines but what has been initiated is kitty corner crossing at intersections to improve pedestrian flow.

Yes in busy cities that really is a great way to cross for pedestrians. Vancouver had it at Granville and Hastings. The vehicle traffic had a four way red and peds could cross in any direction including diagonally.

Jaywalking (the real definition) is like a cancer when not enforced strictly by police. One ped sees another, and does it so does another and another.

Also pedestrians disobeying red lights. If you obey the law you can at times feel a little foolish being the only one of a group standing waiting for a light.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
Also pedestrians disobeying red lights. If you obey the law you can at times feel a little foolish being the only one of a group standing waiting for a light.

Ain't that the truth LOL. Light is green with an orange hand and you stand there waiting and everyone else is looking at you with a puzzled look. Then you try to explain to them what the orange hand means and point out the line up of cars trying to make a left turn but can't because the other dimwits just don't care about crossing the road legally.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”