Jaywalking

Home of the traffic rant.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Jaywalking

Post by GordonH »

Some appear to not give a damn if they are hit, I guess they feel they could win a big settlement if hit.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Some appear to not give a damn if they are hit, I guess they feel they could win a big settlement if hit.

They possibly haven't read up on contributory negligence.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

So, with respect to picking off pedestrians who are crossing at other than a clearly marked crosswalk;

If they don't have the common courtesy to run, they should be fair game.

To the pedestrian who chooses to cross in other than a clearly marked crosswalk; if it is ABSOLUTLEY safe to do so, cross.

If you get hit, it wasn't so don't *bleep* and moan about your injuries.

At any intersection other than one governed by a light with the counter, please, RUN, don't walk across the roadway.

Also, if you are wanting to cross at a clearly marked intersection, do not pretend that a magical force field is about to envelope you because you activated the light. You can stop much more quickly than the car that was hurtling toward you.

So when they have to slam on the brakes, don't give then the stink eye.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mexicalidreamer wrote:So, with respect to picking off pedestrians who are crossing at other than a clearly marked crosswalk;

If they don't have the common courtesy to run, they should be fair game.

To the pedestrian who chooses to cross in other than a clearly marked crosswalk; if it is ABSOLUTLEY safe to do so, cross.

If you get hit, it wasn't so don't *bleep* and moan about your injuries.

At any intersection other than one governed by a light with the counter, please, RUN, don't walk across the roadway.

Also, if you are wanting to cross at a clearly marked intersection, do not pretend that a magical force field is about to envelope you because you activated the light. You can stop much more quickly than the car that was hurtling toward you.

So when they have to slam on the brakes, don't give then the stink eye.

The one error you've made is that you are distinguishing between a (clearly) marked crosswalk and a plain old intersection that is not marked, there IS NONE ?

I laugh when I see a News item where the ( what else is new) uninformed reporter states that a pedestrian was not in a marked cross walk, as that made a difference regarding the civil liability of the car driver.

If you don't believe me, check the Motor Vehicle Act.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

If it aint marked, it aint a crosswalk.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

For years I've heard any intersection is considered a crosswalk
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You heard that because the MVA says so. ;-)
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mexicalidreamer wrote:If it aint marked, it aint a crosswalk.

..... well except in law, that is.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

From Section 119(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act of BC :

"crosswalk" means

(a) a portion of the roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs or by lines or other markings on the surface, or
(b) the portion of a highway at an intersection that is included within the connection of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on the opposite sides of the highway, or within the extension of the lateral lines of the sidewalk on one side of the highway, measured from the curbs, or in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the roadway;

In other words, any place no matter if there's an intersection or not if it is marked with a sign or lines AND the continuation of the sidewalks at every intersection.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I stand corrected.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

At some point there was an ad campaign on tv or radio probably within last 10yrs stating intersections were indeed a place a pedestrian could safely cross, marked or unmarked. At the time I was surprised
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Me too because in my experience even if it is marked, it's still dicey trying to cross let alone the risk when it isn't.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Typically I find people are far less aware of their surrounding at controlled crossings because they assume they are safe. When jaywalking, you know there isn't a light to protect you, so you pay more attention.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

StraitTalk wrote:Typically I find people are far less aware of their surrounding at controlled crossings because they assume they are safe. When jaywalking, you know there isn't a light to protect you, so you pay more attention.

Agree 100%, so many times I've mentioned to my wife, while I'm slowing to stop for a pedestrian who has started across the street not looking at our vehicle "if I didn't stop I'd be on top of (that pedestrian) and they wouldn't know it til I was.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

A sad reminder on what can happen when one jaywalks ...

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/110 ... pital-hill
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”