Stop Driving In The Bike Lanes!

Home of the traffic rant.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Stop Driving In The Bike Lanes!

Post by Hmmm »

Has anybody noticed on Springfield turning right on Gordon dr. there's a solid double white line bike lane that goes all the way to the corner? What I see everybody doing is using this wide bike lane as a right turn lane and drive pass a huge line of cars that are in the right lane! News flash there is no third lane losers!

The other day I waited to to turn right all the way to the corner where I can than legally make the right, I had some m-ron honk at me because I wasn't going fast enough and should have in his opinion use the bike lane as the turning lane.

The fact is, today as in most days there was such a line of cars making a third lane of the bike lane I would have to stick the front of my car in it and then drive between both areas so I could legally wait to turn right. I'm sure I would have tons of people honk at me while trying to obey the law.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most of you who turn right there use the bike lane so take notice, you're wrong and I really hope you get a ticket one day. If you are one the few who know the law and respect it, then kudos to you.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Stop Driving In The Bike Lanes!

Post by kgcayenne »

I have posted in many threads about this very thing! Hell, I started a damn thread on it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

kgcayenne wrote:I have posted in many threads about this very thing! Hell, I started a damn thread on it.

I know we've discussed this before, I couldn't find the thread. The same thing on Springfield turning right on to Spall, there the big green solid white outlined bike lane extending all the way to the corner. Everybody it seems accept for me cuts through it! One day I will be waiting to turn there and someone will come up on my right through the bike lane and hit me and blame me.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Unfortunately as with driving single in HOV lanes and driving with cellphone glued to there ears or texting, it will be rare to see the police ticketing this as well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Is there a map of bike ways in Kelowna online?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

GordonH wrote:Unfortunately as with driving single in HOV lanes and driving with cellphone glued to there ears or texting, it will be rare to see the police ticketing this as well.

They can ticked over 100 people a day in just those two areas I mentioned. I've seriously never seen anyone not doing it. People just glare at me or honk when I wait to turn where I'm supposed to. I was a cyclist for many years and try to respect those lanes, maybe that's why I'm more aware of the laws about them?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Unfortunately as with driving single in HOV lanes and driving with cellphone glued to there ears or texting, it will be rare to see the police ticketing this as well.

Hmmm wrote:They can ticked over 100 people a day in just those two areas I mentioned. I've seriously never seen anyone not doing it. People just glare at me or honk when I wait to turn where I'm supposed to. I was a cyclist for many years and try to respect those lanes, maybe that's why I'm more aware of the laws about them?

Same can be said about the 2 I mentioned, just watch Harvey on any given day.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Same thing for heading north on Ethel and turning right onto Clement. The problem is that some years ago they decided to paint the broken lines that were at most intersections which used to allow drivers to cross into the bike lanes to turn but however in most cases cars couldn't get completely out of their lanes to make the turn making it dangerous for other cars to pass. They should have left the broken lines at all intersections where the bike lane is plenty big enough for another vehicle lane. This is how most intersections used to be and fewer people seemed to complain about it then. I always cross the solid white lines at intersections like turning from Springfield to Gordon because it's more dangerous than to have 2 cars side-by-side trying to turn right. Common sense over bad planning.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

zzontar wrote:Same thing for heading north on Ethel and turning right onto Clement. The problem is that some years ago they decided to paint the broken lines that were at most intersections which used to allow drivers to cross into the bike lanes to turn but however in most cases cars couldn't get completely out of their lanes to make the turn making it dangerous for other cars to pass. They should have left the broken lines at all intersections where the bike lane is plenty big enough for another vehicle lane. This is how most intersections used to be and fewer people seemed to complain about it then. I always cross the solid white lines at intersections like turning from Springfield to Gordon because it's more dangerous than to have 2 cars side-by-side trying to turn right. Common sense over bad planning.

Do you join the line up of cars in the bike lane too? Than you're right, you are part of the problem. Why not just drive a little in the bike lane awhile keeping yourself in the right lane so as not to allow the idiot in the bike lane to pass you? Unless your one of them. There is no excuse for this stupidity.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

One of these days, I'm going to sit there, at Springfield/Gordon, and snap photos of every bean-brain using the bike lane as a turn lane. I'm going to pass them on to the RCMP, then I'm going to send it to the City with a letter about the need to fix that intersection. After, I'll redact the licence plates and post a collage here for you folks.

Yep, thasawhatimmagonnado-uh huh
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Maybe the naked cyclist could sit there and block the lane!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hate to say it, I suspect until a cyclist gets seriously injured or killed a crackdown on ticketing will go the same as mention in my earlier post.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

kgcayenne wrote:One of these days, I'm going to sit there, at Springfield/Gordon, and snap photos of every bean-brain using the bike lane as a turn lane. I'm going to pass them on to the RCMP, then I'm going to send it to the City with a letter about the need to fix that intersection. After, I'll redact the licence plates and post a collage here for you folks.

Yep, thasawhatimmagonnado-uh huh

Excellent idea! I'd like to see that :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

You should ask for enforcement. They do it down here regularly. The RCMP hang out on the median at Lougheed/Willingdon and hand out tickets for cell phone use, and there's a lot of areas along the Lougheed that you'll get nabbed if you try filtering down the bike lane to squeeze into a right-hand turn.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Hmmm wrote:Do you join the line up of cars in the bike lane too? Than you're right, you are part of the problem. Why not just drive a little in the bike lane awhile keeping yourself in the right lane so as not to allow the idiot in the bike lane to pass you? Unless your one of them. There is no excuse for this stupidity.

Especially during the winter months I find it illogical to have a turning lane big enough for vehicles vacant but for the odd cyclist. Using this lane increases the flow of traffic. Also, if you keep going straight on Springfield then you'll notice that before ethel the right driving lane crosses over the bike lane. Seems equally dangerous yet not a peep from anyone, why is that?
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”