The Truck Driver Is An Idiot

Home of the traffic rant.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

The Truck Driver Is An Idiot

Post by Hmmm »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-111861--.htm#111861turned left cutting off three cyclists! I hope this guy gets sued by each cyclists and loses a lot of money. Feel free to rant, I'm am beyond words for such STUPID
PEOPLE. I hope the truck driver reads this. You suck.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
oko11
Fledgling

Re: The Truck Driver Is An Idiot

Post by oko11 »

yes, lets crucify the driver without hearing his side . where do you live, north korea
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

oko11 wrote:yes, lets crucify the driver without hearing his side . where do you live, north korea

I live where the truck driver turned left and cut off three cyclists. End of story. I live in use my brain land, you?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

I live in a country where all the facts are considered by both sides before I reach a conclusion. I don't blindly believe everything that the news broadcasts
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

oko11 wrote:I live in a country where all the facts are considered by both sides before I reach a conclusion. I don't blindly believe everything that the news broadcasts

Gotta say I'm with you on this one.

The driver of the truck appears to be the most culpable. But I'm not ready to break out the tar and feathers just yet.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Let's say the vehicle was making its left turn over 2 lanes on oncoming traffic - the lanes come to a stand still but the drivers are courteous and lawful and don't block the intersection to let cars making a left turn through. The vehicle slowly starts to make its left turn - cautiously because he can't see what's behind the vehicles on the shoulder and all of a sudden the cyclists are there coming at a high rate of speed.

As for the cyclists, I have a very hard time believing they were paying attention ad they were flying by the stopped cars on their left - after all - slowing down and anticipating a left turning vehicle ahead would interrupt their routine so they just continue their pace.

Although the pick me up driver is most likely partially at fault I have a feeling the real idiots weren't driving the truck
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:Let's say the vehicle was making its left turn over 2 lanes on oncoming traffic - the lanes come to a stand still but the drivers are courteous and lawful and don't block the intersection to let cars making a left turn through. The vehicle slowly starts to make its left turn - cautiously because he can't see what's behind the vehicles on the shoulder and all of a sudden the cyclists are there coming at a high rate of speed.

As for the cyclists, I have a very hard time believing they were paying attention ad they were flying by the stopped cars on their left - after all - slowing down and anticipating a left turning vehicle ahead would interrupt their routine so they just continue their pace.

Although the pick me up driver is most likely partially at fault I have a feeling the real idiots weren't driving the truck

Coming to a stop to allow someone without the right of way to do their thing is exactly the type of "courteous" behavior that gets people killed. I can't count how many times a day I see drivers who think they're doing someone a favour by doing this exact same thing.

The left turn lane from Harvey onto Kirschner comes to mind. You always see stopping to allow left-turners onto Kirschner...meanwhile someone in the HOV lane (with every right to be travelling through) nearly plows into that guy. I've seen it happen when most traffic is stopped, I've seen it when the traffic on Harvey has the green light.

Really no different for cyclists. Assuming they're abiding by the rules of the road, there's not reason for them to have to stop the flow of traffic in their lane just because the other drivers want to let the guy without the right of way turn in front of them.

Not saying that's what's happened in this particular instance. But to blame cyclists for not anticipating random left turners popping out from between vehicles is a little ridiculous.
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

I'm not saying the driver is blameless, but we have all seen the way bicycle riders operate; especially the ones with the tour de france outfits...riding 3 or 4 abreast acting like they own the road
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:Coming to a stop to allow someone without the right of way to do their thing is exactly the type of "courteous" behavior that gets people killed. I can't count how many times a day I see drivers who think they're doing someone a favour by doing this exact same thing.

Its one thing to randomly stop to let people through but its another thing to keep an intersection clear when stopped son people can get through which is what I was getting at.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Mar 28th, 2014, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

oko11 wrote:I'm not saying the driver is blameless, but we have all seen the way bicycle riders operate; especially the ones with the tour de france outfits...riding 3 or 4 abreast acting like they own the road

There is a group like that in Armstrong , blast through every stop sign , yield sign on the road.
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If they are like the ones here they will give you the finger if you honk at them too. Some of them are A..hats to the Nth degree!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:Its one thing to randomly stop to let people through but its another thing to keep an intersection clear when stopped son people can get through which is what I was getting at.

But in this instance, it wasn't an intersection, was it? From the pictures it looked like the truck driver turned left into that complex with Majestic Mattress...that's a left turn lane, but not an intersection.

What I'm saying is that vehicle traffic may be stopping to allow a driver to turn left...but the outside lane, be it a vehicle lane, bike lane, etc. still has the right to continue forward in their lane despite the "courteous" efforts of those in the other lanes.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:But in this instance, it wasn't an intersection, was it? From the pictures it looked like the truck driver turned left into that complex with Majestic Mattress...that's a left turn lane, but not an intersection.

BC Motor Vehicle Act 189(1)(b)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote:BC Motor Vehicle Act 189(1)(b)

It's amazing how many drivers either don't know the Laws or just don't follow them.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:BC Motor Vehicle Act 189(1)(b)

Bsuds wrote:It's amazing how many drivers either don't know the Laws or just don't follow them.

Great link. Still has nothing to do with my comment on calling it an "intersection".

Turning left when the outermost lane of traffic has the ability to continue moving forward...be it a bike lane, HOV lane, etc. is generally unwise.

Dizzy1 wrote:As for the cyclists, I have a very hard time believing they were paying attention ad they were flying by the stopped cars on their left - after all - slowing down and anticipating a left turning vehicle ahead would interrupt their routine so they just continue their pace.

And what is the difference (using my example at Harvey and Kirschner) if a vehicle turned left and got smucked by a vehicle travelling down an open HOV lane? Being in the outermost lane how are you to know if someone three lane over wants to make a left-turn when you're screen out by two lanes of cars on your left? Are you to stop and peer through the break in the vehicles?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”