Left-lane losers

Home of the traffic rant.
tarasbulba
Fledgling

Re: Left-lane losers

Post by tarasbulba »

I can't believe what I'm reading, for one thing, if you really think your going to get somewhere faster, give your head a shake, everyday I drive these roads and people pass me like I'm standing still, but you know WHAT, I pull up beside them at the next light. Try this out everyone, when you pass someone whose doing the speed limit, try to remember that car, then look for it at the next light, GEEZ people, I was taught that when I was 12 and I'm old now, so if you think your going to get anywhere faster, cause your not, you may think you are but NOPE, the worst part about all this is our driving conditions have changed here because of all the people coming from Alberta, over there, everyone sits in the left lane, well they also have these big meridians between lanes, but here, have you ever wondered why there's so many HEAD ONS, DUH, everyone drives in the left lane, ohh yah and plus everyone behind the wheel are the best drivers EVER hahahahahaha. I watch people actually panic to get over to the left lane, where did they learn that, is that's what's taught in driving schools now, then they sit in that lane till their, close to their exit and change lanes, slowing down the right lane. I make better time driving through the city in the right lane, sometimes I can pass 20 cars sitting in the left lane, who just passed me a way's back. The law in BC is KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS, city too and the number one rule still applies, YIELD TO THE RIGHT, for what it's worth, no one listens anyways because their all the best drivers ever. PERIOD
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The reason people sit the the left lane is because people don't know how to merge. I was taught when I was 12 years old that you merge with the gas pedal - not the brake. This is achieved by matching the speed of traffic, this way drivers in the right lane don't have to hit the brakes every time someone joins the flow of traffic. Instead you have people who think they should stick to the speed limit regardless of the speed of drivers around them and make driving in the right lane a pain.

You said yourself that some days you feel like a pilon on obstacle course. If you think you're making the road safer by choosing a speed inconsistent with the flow of traffic you're sadly mistaken. Instead of proving your experiment right try keeping up for change, you might find your frustration level lowering. This is good for you and others you share the road with.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

daveycee wrote:Yeah, you're one of those people. We should all go around or go at your speed while you grace us with your presence until we have to bid you a tearful farewell. But fear not! There are plenty of other people to hold up until you turn left again in 6 kilometres! And I'll bet you can sneak into the left lane with a few kilometres to spare, assuming your car has these magical things called 'mirrors'.

Arrogant, ignorant, and the epitome of the Kelowna driving style.

As much as I hate people who don't get out of the left lane on the highways... I don't think you actually understand the rules of the road here in BC. There is absolutely no reason to stay in the right lane while driving in town like on Springfield or Gordon... you're driving in the city.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

fvkasm2x wrote:As much as I hate people who don't get out of the left lane on the highways... I don't think you actually understand the rules of the road here in BC. There is absolutely no reason to stay in the right lane while driving in town like on Springfield or Gordon... you're driving in the city.

Well actually you're quite incorrect as there's a very good reason, it's called courtesy and if you recalled driving handbooks, law enforcement tips, ICBC encouraged driving practises and such, you'd be aware of that.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If there weren't so many backwater nimrods living in this city, it would be easier to keep right and let the speedo-guidos zip along. Unfortunately the backwater hicks seldom know that when a driver signals a lane change, backwater-dude(ette) must yield, and not get all covetous ---"my lane, my lane durrrr"--- and close the gap.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Well actually you're quite incorrect as there's a very good reason, it's called courtesy and if you recalled driving handbooks, law enforcement tips, ICBC encouraged driving practises and such, you'd be aware of that.

On the highways, yes. Not within city limits. Are you aware that in while driving in the city, police officers are taught to drive in the left lane? This is because it gives them roughly the same distance (2 lanes or 1 lane on each side) for viewing both sides of the roads/sidewalks. If they drive over in the right, they can see a lot closer to that side but might have to strain to view the other side of the block. Even the ICBC booklet mentions lane vision. If you are going to give advice to someone, ensure they don't know more than you.

Taken from the government website for Transportation and Infrastructure:

Using the “Keep Right Except to Pass” sign tends to force drivers into the right lane which is not desirable on high volume urban highways where all lanes must be used to handle capacity.

Taken directly from the ICBC driving book:

Choose the lane that gives you the best vision and allows you to go where you want to go. On a multi-lane highway, you should travel in one of the right-hand lanes. This is especially important if you are driving more slowly than other vehicles or if signs direct you to keep out of the left lane. Just because you are driving at the speed limit does not mean
you should continually drive in the left lane. This may cause other drivers to try to pass on the right, which may not be as
safe as passing on the left. When you are on a freeway with more than two lanes in each direction, you should drive in the centre lane or a right-hand lane. This leaves the left lane for higher-speed traffic and passing vehicles.

As people have said... if I am turning left or looking for a business on the left, I am not going to drive in the right lane and worry about merging with all the idiots driving 90km on Springfield. I'm going to drive in the left lane.Courtesy does not equal safe driving.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

tarasbulba wrote:no one listens anyways because their all the best drivers ever. PERIOD

So why waste your breath here?

Anyway, it's not always about "getting there faster" - it's about driving at a comfortable pace.

Funny thing, too - I rarely see anyone at red lights whom I have previously passed. Well, that's a lie - I see them at reds in my rearview. Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”