How bad are Kelowna drivers?

Home of the traffic rant.
netfreak
Übergod

Re: How bad are Kelowna drivers?

Post by netfreak »

Sn0man wrote:You Kelowna people may think Alberta drivers are bad, but you've got it backwards. You all speed like you're on a race course. Alberta drivers get in your way because they're doing the speed limit.

Haha, suure. If you call either 20 under or 40 over "doing the speed limit."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Sn0man wrote:Exactly right Steven.

You Kelowna people may think Alberta drivers are bad, but you've got it backwards. You all speed like you're on a race course. Alberta drivers get in your way because they're doing the speed limit.

So what happens when you guys cross the border into BC? Red plates sure as heck don't show those mannerisms behind the wheel around here.

Take a drive between Vernon and Kelowna and watch the red plates, they're just as pathetic as we are.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Must quote Miller from Repo Man:

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you are."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/quotes?qt=qt0280555
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Other than there being more greyhair drivers here, it's not really any different than anywhere else I've lived.

Other places always have their "alberta drivers", too. When I lived near the NY State border, it was "american drivers". It's hilarious - always gotta have someone "foreign" to mock, ya know. Confirmation bias is a funny thing.
Your bias suits you.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

dogspoiler wrote: ..., and lots of the drivers here came from Alberta.
They’re easy to spot.

Yes they are easy to spot, they drive 30 km over the speed limit on straight stretches and go 20km under in the corners.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Kelo_Can613 wrote:Quebec is worse.

I think the entire Okanagan is a close 2nd
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Kelo_Can613 wrote:Quebec is worse.

jimmy4321 wrote:I think the entire Okanagan is a close 2nd

... close 2nd before Quebec ROFL
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I have lived in 5 different BC cities, 3 different Asian cities and now Edmonton.

Hands down, Edmonton drivers are the worst I've ever seen. That's saying a lot...
P_J_Manning

Post by P_J_Manning »

I drove in the UK for over 20 years, from one end of the country to the other regularly, I've clocked hundreds of thousands of kilometres, if not into the million.
I have driven all over Europe, even in Paris and Rome (and that's scary)

In the 5 years I've lived in Kelowna and West Kelowna, I have seen more accidents, more acts of blatant stupidity, and more selfish dangerous acts of driving than I ever did in all those years and miles in Europe.
And yet Canadians are the nicest people you ever want to meet.

I can also say, the red plates are pretty terrible, you need a 20 foot pry bar to get one of those *expletive deleted* out of the left lane!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Stop blaming Albertans. There are as many d bag BC'ers as Albertans.

Every summer back home in Calgary,all the blue plates would show up and slow things down doing stupid moves as they tried to find the zoo or the Stampede grounds or whatever. Just like red plates trying to find the beach or winery.

I attended a meeting at Mission Hill to discuss their proposed expansion. Two of the main concerns was increased traffic and that traffic speeding. The results of the study to look at this issue found that the main culprits were the residents of the community itself. IMO, this type of result would be typical in any area. So that d bag driver; its likely your neighbor, or yourself, or me.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I think there are only a handful people living here who are actually from here.

I just thought I'd mention that.

I love the aghast looks I get when I turn left from Richter to Lawrence on a red light; It is absolutely hilarious. I also know that 99.999% of the time, if there's a car in front of me to turn left there, it's not happening on the red because it's not allowed in Alberta like it is here.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

We're actually getting better!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#123844

A campaign by North Okanagan RCMP to catch drivers breaking the rules found a surprising twist on the norm.

Of the 83-violation tickets issued during the one day enforcement blitz, 58 of them were for not wearing a seatbelt while only 14 were for use of a cellphone (whether talking or texting).

This must mean cell phone use while driving is way down. No wonder I never see that happen anymore (sarcasm, if you haven't guessed) Here's what they did get:

14 for use of a cell phone - $167 fine
58 for not wearing a seatbelt - $167 fine.
Four for failing to stop at a stop sign
Seven other assorted tickets

Not a mention of anyone blowing over, which is good. This summer seems to have been a horrible one for the amount of collisions and deaths on the roads. Few if any that I can recall had to do with being impaired but seemed to be just crappy driving... where's the protests for stricter road tests, etc? No matter how many people get killed, if it's not booze related it's taken in stride compared to if the deaths were caused by impaired drivers... strange as the end result is the same.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
dbh

Post by dbh »

Kelowna drivers are the worst I've seen anywhere. Why can't they just push the right pedal when the light turns green, instead of waiting for the the vehicle ahead to get 5 lengths away? This is especially frustrated at a flashing left turn light, when 3 cars get through because of the morons driving.
Try driving in LA, San Francisco, Seattle or even Vancouver like that, you would get your *bleep* rammed!
Wake up Kelowna drivers, you are not the only one on the road!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

They're waiting for the 2 or 3 dumbasses turning left on the red to clear the intersection. I understand you may not see that given the fact your line of sight is likely obstructed by jacked-up fluff-trucks.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

kgcayenne wrote:They're waiting for the 2 or 3 dumbasses turning left on the red to clear the intersection. I understand you may not see that given the fact your line of sight is likely obstructed by jacked-up fluff-trucks.

nah, IME it's normally a greyhair trying to remember what a green light means. ;)
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”