Traffic Peeves in Kelowna

Home of the traffic rant.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Traffic Peeves in Kelowna

Post by Relentless »

vinnied wrote:the fact that theres no by pass through town and traffic lights at every intersection, plus they're adding more.

Yeah, can you imagine, what kind of example are they setting for our "Carbon footprint"
I hope the planning department can make a bypass route and new bridge like a modern city, one that has no traffic lights(for most people who just want to get the heck over to westside without the stupidity!
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

I just ran across a discussion about my pet peeve of misguided courtesy when someone has the right of way and stops instead. For anyone else annoyed at idiots stopping on the highway when they have the right of way, to try and wave someone in front of them, you're not alone. I got a kick out of the thousands of people giving thumbs up on this and it being the #1 and 2 complaints lol :

"What is something people to do be polite but actually turns out to be annoying?"
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... olite_but/
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Scadam wrote:I just ran across a discussion about my pet peeve of misguided courtesy when someone has the right of way and stops instead. For anyone else annoyed at idiots stopping on the highway when they have the right of way, to try and wave someone in front of them, you're not alone. I got a kick out of the thousands of people giving thumbs up on this and it being the #1 and 2 complaints lol :

"What is something people to do be polite but actually turns out to be annoying?"
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... olite_but/

How about posting a link to information on a pet peeves site that you have to read dozens of unrelated items to get through to the pertinent item ?

But on a serious note, not only is relinquishing the right of way, confusing, naive, dangerous, but is a tool for crooks trying to create an "accident". The other driver waves you through and as you do so, they run into you, later denying they waved you through. It happens.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

my5cents wrote:How about posting a link to information on a pet peeves site that you have to read dozens of unrelated items to get through to the pertinent item ?

Oh, whoops, mine is set to "top" but it looks like the default sort on that site if you're an anonymous use is "best". The two driving ones were at the top in my view, my bad.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Scadam wrote:Oh, whoops, mine is set to "top" but it looks like the default sort on that site if you're an anonymous use is "best". The two driving ones were at the top in my view, my bad.

I was just kidding. No problem at all.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So whats with drivers who can't stop before the line at an intersection!
Saw an older woman today stop halfway thru the crosswalk then jump ahead before the light changed.
What's your hurry, the next light will be red too!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Lots of bad habits when it comes to stopping.

Stop Sign - Drifting past to the curb line "But I can't see any traffic from the stop line" (you stop at the stop line then look for traffic [pedestrian and vehicular], then edge out)

Sidewalk - Drifting past to the curb line. SAME AS ABOVE only "before the sidewalk"

Roadway - Passing vehicle stopped for a pedestrian
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My biggest 2 peeve about drivers in Kelowna is (1) school zone speeders (2) cellphone use while on the roads
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

my5cents wrote:Roadway - Passing vehicle stopped for a pedestrian

To counter this : the worst pet peeve ever.

Drivers who invent crosswalks to spare pedestrians THE HORROR of having to wait until it's clear to cross the road.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

...extending PAST the stop line when you're stopping. Irritates the be-jesus out of me :S
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Not signalling that you are turning left until the light turns green.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Sige wrote:...extending PAST the stop line when you're stopping. Irritates the be-jesus out of me :S

Especially those who park over a crosswalk.

It's also very nerve wracking going down the road and you watch the car coming from the side street and you really have to question yourself if they're going to stop as they finally do half way through the bloody oncoming lane.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tacklewasher wrote:Not signalling that you are turning left until the light turns green.

Or signaling their intention to turn and going past 3 roads before they do.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Atomoa wrote:"my5cents: Roadway - Passing vehicle stopped for a pedestrian"

To counter this : the worst pet peeve ever.

Drivers who invent crosswalks to spare pedestrians THE HORROR of having to wait until it's clear to cross the road.

I was referring to the actual offense, which requires the incident to occur at a crosswalk, which is every intersection and marked cross walk.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I watch the same late-model white, SUV turn left from Ethel and ignore the two closest lanes to head directly to the farthest (HOV) lane on Hwy 97 every morning ~8:00am. Every morning... without exception!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”