BC Drivers are Getting Nailed in the Left Lane in WA

Home of the traffic rant.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

BC Drivers are Getting Nailed in the Left Lane in WA

Post by Glacier »

We need these types of laws and enforcement here. Stop clogging up the passing lane!

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=38668 ... tPageNum=1
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC Drivers are Getting Nailed in the Left Lane in WA

Post by Dizzy1 »

I simply don't understand why drivers and enforcement here just plain don't get this. Go between Vernon and Oyama and there are no fewer than 6 "Keep Right Except To Pass" signs, these are regulatory signs, they are regulation just like speed limits, if you cruise for miles in the left lane you are breaking the law. But what do the cops do? Nothing, they just spend their time trawling the left lane looking for other infractions.

Anyway, cue the usual crowd that justifies them breaking the law and telling every one to just slow down and there's no such thing as a fast/passing lane and blah, blah, blah.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:We need these types of laws and enforcement here. Stop clogging up the passing lane!

Perhaps the problem is that people are ignorant of the existing law that prohibits driving in any lane other than the right lane for reasons other than passing.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:
Perhaps the problem is that people are ignorant of the existing law that prohibits driving in any lane other than the right lane for reasons other than passing.

It seems quite a few drivers are ignorant or choose to ignore many driving laws. Fortunately ignorance is not a valid defence and eventually they will get caught. (I hope)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

But didn't we already discuss this and although there are sections of highway that have clearly marked "keep right" signs there are also many road that don't and that is because there are left turns along many sections so it is acceptable to keep left if you are turning. (i also know that to keep left in Westbank because you are turning left at Sexsmith is just plain dumb) however its not illegal!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Why don't they enforce it?
There's fifty thousand cars goin over the bridge, surely no one here is suggesting that all those vehicles funnel into one lane and not make use of a second lane to enhance efficiency. Highway 97 is not an "interstate"
The key around here is, if one is not passing the car on their right, courteously proceed into the right lane.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

WhatThe wrote:Why don't they enforce it?
There's fifty thousand cars goin over the bridge, surely no one here is suggesting that all those vehicles funnel into one lane and not make use of a second lane to enhance efficiency. Highway 97 is not an "interstate"
The key around here is, if one is not passing the car on their right, courteously proceed into the right lane.

I would argue that Hwy 97 through Westbank could easily be identified as still within city limits thus not applicable to those rules. Its the obvious highways such as the Coquihalla, Trans Canada in the Lower Mainland, Hwy 99 etc. that still see no enforcement. And as I posted earlier, 97 between Vernon and Oyama has signs clearly instructing you to keep right, yet no enforcement. Granted there are left turn possibilities on that stretch but that doesnt mean one needs to move into the left lane before Kekuli Bay to turn onto Crystal Waters. Don't forget, even the Interstate system in the US has left lane exits - yet enforcement there can still figure out who the ignorant driver is.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dodgerdodge wrote:But didn't we already discuss this and although there are sections of highway that have clearly marked "keep right" signs

So then the question becomes why are these stretches not enforced?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote:So then the question becomes why are these stretches not enforced?

Same reason speed limits don't get enough enforcement. Lack of manpower to do so.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:Same reason speed limits don't get enough enforcement. Lack of manpower to do so.

CTV announced that last year in BC there were something like 30 tickets issued for hogging the left lane. I think that's a lot more than "lack of manpower". It's obviously not a priority in the least.

Perhaps the government could write a new law, that anyone caught hogging the left lane was guilty at the time of apprehension, perhaps bump the fine up. A "lack of manpower" was the excuse for dwindling drinking and driving enforcement and that type of government action seems to have jump started the police interest in that.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:Same reason speed limits don't get enough enforcement. Lack of manpower to do so.

If they have enough manpower to set up campaigns on tinted windows and front plates - they have enough manpower to set up campaigns in other areas of needed enforcement.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Tough I generally stay in the right lane through towns, I can see why people are in the left or center lane in Kelowna planning well in advance for their left turn.
The thing is that the Okanagan has so many *bleep* drivers that WON'T let you in a lane (pretending to be oblivious), which sucks when your trying to make your way into a left turning lane. This is also made much worse and dangerous when you add slush, snow, ice & heavy rain and FRUSTRATION.

There are signs on some stretches of Hwys because they are designed for it and it's the law.Kelowna, Westbank, Vernon it isn't,nor should it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^ Winfield to Vernon is and is signed out to instruct one to do so.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Dizzy1 wrote:^^ Winfield to Vernon is and is signed out to instruct one to do so.

I think that's the only stretch, isn't it? I can't remember if there's any signs from the bridge to Westbank, there shouldn't be.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

Most drivers in this town are plain idots! They think they are the road police or think that no one else can get ahead of them. Why can't people just move over? Why can't people get it through their thick skulls that they are not the only ones on the road. If your crappy little car takes forever to get to the speed limit stay in the right lane. If you are on vacation and you want enjoy the scenery at 20k under the speed limit stay off the highway and take side roads, some of us would actually like to get home.
Everyday my fantasy is to knock these idiots right off the road. Just today another Albertan passing everybody on the right lane going past Gorman's on the straight stretch at mach 1 until he got to the 1st corner at which time he slams on the binders and proceeds to crawl down the hill at 60K in a 90 and then goes 90k at in the 70 zone straight stretch through Peachland. What is it with Albertans and the inability to do corners?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”