Hwy 97 accidents

Home of the traffic rant.
matai
Banned

Hwy 97 accidents

Post by matai »

Today, a person died in Peachland, near Trepanier Bench Rd. Speed limit on that stretch: 70km/h. My condolences to the family.

Last week, there was also another 3 vehicles accident one block away from there between the two sets of lights,speed limit: 70km/h.

Do you believe a concrete divider would be a good thing to help prevent collisions and dramas, and ESPECIALLY on Drought Hill?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Accidents in Peachland

Post by dogspoiler »

No.
Black Dogs Matter
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Post by givenrfarm »

No words can describe how I feel for the family of the deceased. My sincere condolences.
To the driver of the semi, I know how it feels. I've been there too. I know there is very limited resources for truckers emotional needs after an accident. I can point you to done excellent free counselling if you would like. Just pm me.
As for that stretch of road, many times drivers swing into the passing lane before it is even there. I've slammed my brakes and served more than once coming down that hill.
The roads around the okanagan terrify me. The drivers on them more so. Regardless of what they are driving.
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

How can anyone say no to concrete dividers? It has always taken a few deaths to get one so maybe now is the time.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Thos dividers make sense on a fourlane road, not on a two lane road. If anything happens in front of you, your only option is to hit the ditch. Any little mishap will completely block that lane.
If you think Drought hill is bad now, just try putting a row of concrete in the middle of it.
Black Dogs Matter
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

How many times in the curvy section of Drought Hill people are rolling up or down half of their vehicle in the opposite lane? ESPECIALLY pick up trucks & semis.

It's interesting to know that Peachland & ICBC spent over $15,000 to install two useless digital speed signs on Princeton Ave where NO accident happen, while people are usually going 100km/h through the 70 zone on the Highway where, very unfortunately, accidents happen more often than what's being reported in the news.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

dogspoiler wrote:Thos dividers make sense on a fourlane road, not on a two lane road. If anything happens in front of you, your only option is to hit the ditch. Any little mishap will completely block that lane.
If you think Drought hill is bad now, just try putting a row of concrete in the middle of it.

Our government placed this on the Malahat on the 2 lane Hwy 1 between Victoria & Mill Bay. It was their solution to the high amount of accidents due to drivers crossing into the oncoming lane. time will tell if it helps or creates a different kind of accident.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A better solution is to put in an earth median. I was recently on a road in Wasilla, Alaska (population 7,000) with two lanes one way and one the other. It is a very busy road, and they knew this would be the case when they designed it, so they put a 20 foot wide grass median down the middle to both prevent head-ons and provide an escape route. The road is about as busy as 97 through Peachland.

Oh, and the road has a separated bikepath because it is the law in Alaska that all busy roads in towns and cities that get upgraded or widened must include a bikepath. Check it out.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I gotta tell ya, I don't get the number of head on collisions from Vernon to Oliver. I can't believe that it's mostly any one type of mistake. Those being passing when it's not safe, distracted driving or drowsiness? I don't know but it needs to stop.

I understand frustration from being behind a slow mover but seriously folks, get a grip. It's moments out of your life. Or, it's your life.

Distracted driving? It's here to stay.

I just don't get it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Glacier wrote:Check it out.

I'm amazed that they even have trees up there!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

matai wrote:How many times in the curvy section of Drought Hill people are rolling up or down half of their vehicle in the opposite lane? ESPECIALLY pick up trucks & semis.

It's interesting to know that Peachland & ICBC spent over $15,000 to install two useless digital speed signs on Princeton Ave where NO accident happen, while people are usually going 100km/h through the 70 zone on the Highway where, very unfortunately, accidents happen more often than what's being reported in the news.

But this didn't happen on the hill it was on the flat and as yet we haven't heard why. Was it distracted driving? Was it mechanical failure? Was it something else? Will we even get an update on the cause and if someone was at fault it may take years to come to court with no real solution offered to help the grieving families or any future possibility of similar accidents.

I agree about the Princeton signs but i don't know what they can do about a standard 2 lane road that is designed and built the same all over the province.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Again, I sympathize with the family. I don't know if Coroner reports are public here, but if so, it should say what caused the accident once it comes out in a couple months, and it should also contain recommendations to prevent more accidents from happening in the future on that stretch of road.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

matai wrote:I'm amazed that they even have trees up there!

Why?
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Condolences to the family.That road/highway should be 4 lanes with concrete barriers in between. Same with the highway to Vernon. Also should have concrete barriers in between. How many deaths will it take before something gets done?
Wonder if the RCMP when they investigate as to the cause of the head on,do they also investigate cell phone records?
In general, speeding and distracted drivers has become such a problem. The only true education that will make people learn is to hit offenders in the pocket book, increase fines substantially. This whole education/advertising and speed sign placements just does not work.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Jx3 wrote:
Why?

Opening opinion:

Considering from a point of view shared by more than half the Canadians that the 49th parallel is the North Pole and for a fact that nothing grows past the 55th parallel but ice cubes, and that BC stretches North to the 60th, and that Alaska is above that. Any Canadian from outside of BC and living south of the 49th would believe it's only a snow desert out there.

Picture of the 60th parallel:

Closing opinion, back on topic ;-)
Last edited by matai on Jun 27th, 2014, 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”