Hwy 97 accidents

Home of the traffic rant.
omisimaw
Guru

Re: Hwy 97 accidents

Post by omisimaw »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Oh it's more than an opinion, it's supported by numerous studies and statistics before and after dividers are put in place to separate opposing directions of travel.

What have you got besides a flawed opinion?

Someone did not check out the link posted!

But there are numerous studies and statistics to the opposite as well....

for every ying there is a yang!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Bretbaby wrote:And another one: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#118228

A multi-vehicle accident has backed up traffic for kilometres on Highway 97 south of Peachland.

Just after 12 p.m. emergency crews were called to the 6000 block of Highway 97 near the turnoff to Hardy Falls Regional Park.

One of the vehicles rolled over and emergency crews have blocked the southbound lane.

One witness is reporting four vehicles were involved but it is unconfirmed.

It is unclear if there are any injuries.

We will have more information as soon as it becomes available.

It is summer and people are out and about.... peeps .... slow down and pay attention to what is going on around you!

Hope no one is seriously hurt!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Antlers beach is also a 70 zone.

As for last weeks accident, both lanes were WAY in the 70 zone, i passed there today, we could still see everything on the pavement.

Damn, the ministry could have mopped, i feel for the family and friends who see that everytime the go by it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Reminder: If you're turning left do not turn your wheels before you actually execute the turn because if you're rear-ended you will be forced right into the oncoming traffic and a potential head-on collision. It sounds as if that's what may have happened today.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I don't understand why theres no dedicated left turn lanes onto hardy & renfrew st, would be minimal hwy standards, no? It would have prevented accidents like today.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

The highways are good............its the drivers. Texting, eating, chatting, and god knows what else. There are undivided highways all over North America. People just need to learn to drive.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

matai wrote:I don't understand why theres no dedicated left turn lanes onto hardy & renfrew st, would be minimal hwy standards, no? It would have prevented accidents like today.

I disagree. The training I remember is there are 2 lanes. If the car in front of you is turning left, you stop behind the car and wait until the car has gone. And I agree, keep your wheels strait. The problem is so many people are in a hurry and not paying attention. I learned how to drive in a big city, this is peanuts. This is people careless and not following basic road training. If you can't do that then you should not be driving.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

This latest incident could be avoided easily, when there is a vehicle on the road in front of you slow down and stop before you crash into it.
Black Dogs Matter
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I agree but you know, when on a hairblower it says not to use in the shower, i think the roadbuilders should keep in mind that not everyone having a dl is a brightlight either.

The other day i was turning on butt road, and the suv in front of me had his brake lights tinted so dark, we could hardly see he was even braking!
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

vegas1500 wrote:The highways are good............its the drivers. Texting, eating, chatting, and god knows what else. There are undivided highways all over North America. People just need to learn to drive.

Watching girls in bikinis on the beach...........
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

matai wrote:I don't understand why theres no dedicated left turn lanes onto hardy & renfrew st, would be minimal hwy standards, no? It would have prevented accidents like today.

Well there much thought on this one now is there? The person behind is at fault for a: following to close b: going to fast to stop before rear ending the vehicle c: not paying attention d: anything else you wish to throw into the mix...

What would have prevented this accident is drivers in control of the vehicles they are driving....

Driver error plain and simple....

The ones that are hurting are a: car that was rear ended and b: the car it hit as a result
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Accidents in Peachland

Post by Glacier »

Partmanpartfish wrote:You don't have to travel to Alaska to see roads with ditches between the lanes. We have lots of those in BC also. Many of them a lot more impressive than anything in Wasilla because they go through mountain passes.

In Wasilla, it's easy and pretty much free to put a ditch between a couple of lanes because it's in the middle of nowhere. It's harder and more expensive to do in Peachland because the road is sandwiched between mountains and a lake.

Name one 4 lane divided highway that has been built in the BC interior in the past 25 years. Chances are you can't because even flat unpopulated places like the "Cariboo Connector" get 4-laned instead of twinned.

In Wasilla they had to expropriate all the frontage businesses including the Wal Mart, and yes, people complain because the highway still goes through the middle of town, but at least half of it is freeway now. I've driven all over western north America, and yes, we have divided highways in BC, but they are far less frequent than in other places. Other jurisdictions also have highways through town, but they catch on far quicker than BC that there comes a time when a town gets too big for that. It seems to me that BC have been slipping behind other jurisdictions in terms of road building since the mid 80s.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Thats why they should 4 lane the whole valley!!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Watching girls in bikinis on the beach...........[/quote]

yes that also........... pull over, park and then enjoy :). For 5 years i drove one of the worst rated highways in Alberta. Everyone blamed the road for accidents but it was the people. Impatient, taking chances, distracted........... why anyone would pull out to pass not knowing if there is a vehicle coming is beyond me. I guess they don't value their lives.............
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

vegas1500 wrote:For 5 years i drove one of the worst rated highways in Alberta. Everyone blamed the road for accidents but it was the people. Impatient, taking chances, distracted........... why anyone would pull out to pass not knowing if there is a vehicle coming is beyond me. I guess they don't value their lives.............

Impatient drivers exist everywhere. Therefore, if one road is more dangerous than another it has everything to do with the road, not the people. You cannot get rid of bad drivers and drivers who plain make a single mistake at the wrong time any more than you can get rid of drug abuse, but you can make roads safer for innocent drivers who are currently the victims of head-ons.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”