Left turn at Pandosy

Home of the traffic rant.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Left turn at Pandosy

Post by Bsuds »

Make 3 rights as it's going to be faster.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

John500 wrote:Kelowna so badly needs a bypass. But its not going to happen. The powers at be rather see us, and vacationing people, sit in idling traffic that hardly moves right thru the city, polluting the air and collecting more carbon taxes.
Putting in a bypass wont solve anything people sitting in traffic here live here or are tourists the ones that would be using a bypass would be the semi truck traffic passing through hardly a big part of the traffic here. Less lights equal better flow no brainer really, not that there is a real grid lock problem here anyway.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Yes i now see what has happened they have just removed the advance green which means that tonight there were so many trying to turn left that couldn't due to traffic flow they were blocking the left hand through lane at Ellis and beyond. Anyone travelling towards bridge in late afternoon/evening can see that its often backed up to Gordon due to the crappy Ellis lights and Pandosy timing so now we are going to see even longer line ups. IMO.
Why didn't they just leave the advance turn but disable it in morning rush to improve flow into Kelowna?

Haven't seen anything about this officially yet either.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Bsuds wrote:Make 3 rights as it's going to be faster.

On 97 heading towards bridge. Want to turn left on pandosy> Right on water, right on Bernard, right on Ellis.... How does that help?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:Make 3 rights as it's going to be faster.

WhatThe wrote:On 97 heading towards bridge. Want to turn left on pandosy> Right on water, right on Bernard, right on Ellis.... How does that help?

I believe what Bsuds was saying is turn right at Abbott St>(heading south on Harvey) turn right at Leon> then right on Water/Pandosy.

Added: the decision to remove the advance green heading south on Harvey @ Pandosy in my opinion was a foolish choice by MOT.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

I had fun this afternoon watching whilst i filled up at the Chevron on that corner. First thing i notice is the line up is back to beyond where the turn lane starts so some people in the left lane going straight through were being impeded. Secondly i see that 3 cars are in the intersection all hoping to make that turn before the lights change, well they went red and the first turned, the second hesitated but then went leaving the third guy to back up a bit whilst waving his arm out the window in frustration and now blocking the crosswalk nicely.
Yesterday i saw a close call when the turning car was almost hit by the through traffic, something that i thought the City was trying to eliminate by putting in advance turns.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Thats "fun" to you?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

WhatThe wrote:All they've done is take out the advance green. We can still turn left there.

By removing the advance green arrow, causes this intersection to become a little more dangerous because drivers will take chances just to get onto Pandosy. As well backing up traffic heading across the bridge, reason is the turn lane is not very long due to Ellis.

1 traffic change can snowball into big mess of course those who travel Harvey/97 between Gorman's mill & airport, know this far to well.

Added later: Just to let everyone know I'm not on here complaining, I've been in very heavy traffic in both Toronto & Vancouver. What we have here in Okanagan is just a little pain in the *bleep*.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”