Left turn at Pandosy

Home of the traffic rant.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Left turn at Pandosy

Post by Joe Public »

The left turn at Pandosy and the highway was removed last night. Did anyone notice?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Left turn at Pandosy

Post by Always Sunny »

Joe Public wrote:The left turn at Pandosy and the highway was removed last night. Did anyone notice?

South bound? That blows. Since there are no lefts at Abbott either, there's virtually no way to get into the Mission once you're in that lane headed towards the bridge (unless you can make it all the way to the right to loop around thru downtown).

Are there signs warning of this? Sorry, I'm in Ontario right now, I haven't seen this.
dalejrfan

Post by dalejrfan »

Are you talking about the left turn on Pandosy to go to the bridge. I just came through there and it works just fine.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

dalejrfan wrote:Are you talking about the left turn on Pandosy to go to the bridge. I just came through there and it works just fine.

I would suspect its left off Harvey Ave (hwy 97) heading south/towards the bridge. If this is the case then Richter will used for ambulances instead of Pandosy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:I would suspect its left off Harvey Ave (hwy 97) heading south/towards the bridge. If this is the case then Richter will used for ambulances instead of Pandosy.

If that's the case I would hope they clearly have a "no access to the Mission" type of sign back before Richter. If you're stuck unable to turn left from Harvey onto Pandosy, it's not like there's an option further on. You're basically going to be forced over the bridge at that point.

Wonder if the OP or anyone else can confirm which lane they're talking about. There's always the chance they never realized there's no turn onto Pandosy coming off the bridge (though that direction is Water Street anyways) or from Water east bound into Harvey.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Joe Public wrote:The left turn at Pandosy and the highway was removed last night. Did anyone notice?

Seemed to be there today, there were vehicles in that turn lane turning left as i came through this afternoon.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Always Sunny wrote:it's not like there's an option further on. You're basically going to be forced over the bridge at that point.

Or you could make a right and a right and go straight thru Pandosy/gordon ect?

That light annoyed me. Welcome to Kelowna - we built a 5 lane bridge and put a useless stoplight at one end of it. Then we put another stoplight half a block up from it and gave a advanced left for one or two cars @ rush hour vs. 3 lanes of bridge traffic going northbound.

Less lights. Not more.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Atomoa wrote:

That light annoyed me. Welcome to Kelowna - we built a 5 lane bridge and put a useless stoplight at one end of it. Then we put another stoplight half a block up from it and gave a advanced left for one or two cars @ rush hour vs. 3 lanes of bridge traffic going northbound.

Less lights. Not more.

Agreed and to add to that comment the useless stoplight is only activated by crossing pedestrians. We see traffic backed up daily because 2 peeps with bikes want to cross. Why oh why did we not put a bridge or tunnel or something for the foot traffic?
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

What a mess this is going to be.
Watched a lot of vehicles try to turn left from 97 onto Pandosy yesterday.
2 cars in the intersection make it but usually 2 more went on the red.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Kelowna so badly needs a bypass. But its not going to happen. The powers at be rather see us, and vacationing people, sit in idling traffic that hardly moves right thru the city, polluting the air and collecting more carbon taxes.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

John500 wrote:Kelowna so badly needs a bypass. But its not going to happen. The powers at be rather see us, and vacationing people, sit in idling traffic that hardly moves right thru the city, polluting the air and collecting more carbon taxes.

Really? I would think it is about avaliable resources and priorities. The OK Valley isn't the only place in BC that needs roads, the BC government has spent a bundle in this valley lately..
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

The signal at Abbot coming off the bridge was supposed to be removed with the installation of the new bridge, which would have improved traffic greatly, but the Chamber of Commerce repeated complained to the BC Liberals that this would reduce tourist traffic flow through the downtown, and the signal was redesigned. It does not service just pedestrians but also services the left turn into the city demanded by the business community.

Some of you seem to confuse good traffic engineering and bad politics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Joe Public wrote:Some of you seem to confuse good traffic engineering and bad politics.

I think you mean Bad Engineering and Bad Politics = left turn where one shouldn't be.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

All they've done is take out the advance green. We can still turn left there.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

If you are south bound heading across to the westside, yes, you can still turn left onto Pandosy but like whatthe says, there is no longer an advance turn light. Pray for a break in traffic. Heading home from work this morning and traffic was backed up in the left lane past Ellis. Stupid move to remove the advance green at this intersection in my mind.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”