Age of Entitlement

Home of the traffic rant.
Atomoa
Guru

Age of Entitlement

Post by Atomoa »

More of a economic article, but this stuck out to me :

Piff conducted a series of revealing experiments. One was remarkably simple. Researchers positioned themselves at crossroads. They watched out for aggressive, selfish behaviour among drivers, and recorded the make and model of the car. Piff found drivers of expensive, high-status vehicles behave worse than those sputtering along in battered Toyota Corollas.

They were four times more likely to cut off drivers with lower status vehicles. As a pedestrian looking carefully left and right before using a crossing, you should pay attention to the kind of car bearing down on you. Drivers of high-status vehicles were three times as likely to fail to yield at pedestrian crossings. In contrast, all the drivers of the least expensive type of car gave way to pedestrians.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ?CMP=fb_gu

People are really stripped down to their skin and exposed when they drive. True colours.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
matai
Banned

Re: Age of Entitlement

Post by matai »

So basically it says they should teach good manners at university. So much for an education eh.... or is it that your inner donkey hole enlarges proportionally with your bank account?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I don't know where they did this research, but in Kelowna it's piece of crap jacked up pickup trucks that are famous for being bad drivers.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:I don't know where they did this research, but in Kelowna it's piece of crap jacked up pickup trucks that are famous for being bad drivers.

...worth as much as a high end "sports car". Same diff.

The article basically speaks to this. Bank account goes up - so does the *bleep* factor. I find it interesting that this also correlates with other studies that say "successful" people are more likely to cheat, lie, ect.

The so called pillars of the community, who are 3 times more likely to not yield to a pedestrian.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I don't know, I see as many riced out Civics, falling apart Chevy's having just as much of a sense of entitlement as Jag's and Mercedes.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Atomoa wrote:Bank account goes up - so does the *bleep* factor.

Meh. In my experience, bank account doesn't have anything to do with people's personality. If somebody is an *bleep* - he/she will be an *bleep* with or without money. Money doesn't turn somebody into an *bleep*, they just turn *bleep* into *bleep* with money.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Dizzy1 wrote:I don't know, I see as many riced out Civics, falling apart Chevy's having just as much of a sense of entitlement as Jag's and Mercedes.

Ah yes. Study/data vs "what I see".

Cue the Koch Brother misnomer.

This was yet another study connecting wealth/riches with general bad behavior. Lies, cheating on taxes, ect. Driving bad was a interesting factoid that was unlooked for. Who knew?

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:Ah yes. Study/data vs "what I see".

Cue the Koch Brother misnomer.

This was yet another study connecting wealth/riches with general bad behavior. Lies, cheating on taxes, ect. Driving bad was a interesting factoid that was unlooked for. Who knew?

I just find it fascinating that so many people are obsessed with the behavior of those who have successful lives.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

When an *bleep* is poor or down on their luck, they are probably not going to act like a total *bleep* until their fortune turns around (and they then feel like they can get away with it). By contrast, when a non-a-hole experiences a change of fortune and wealth in their favour, they will continue to be a non-a-hole.

It's like if we put a policeman at every corner. Sure it would reduce the number of thefts, but would it really reduce the number of thieves?

- Douglas Murray
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Let's talk about suicide rates, depression, divorce rates, family destruction and violence rates for people who "come into a lot of money" who were from lower classes before the sudden injection of wealth.

They are extremely high.

Let's talk about historical figures, mostly remembered for the evil deeds, who were innocent and passive before finding themselves awash with wealth and power.

Suggesting that "people don't change" when they come into money (and thus power) doesn't hold any sort of merrit other than hopeful, observational hearsay.

Products are sold to people to appeal to their emotions. They are direct reflections of themselves and personality. There is no justifiable "need" that exists to purchase one of these vehicles. It's a direct emotional purchase. What kind of a person buys a luxury "look at me" sports car they can't legally utilize on the open road? A bumhole, lol.

...and the studies show that the driving habits of said vehicles are bumhole-ish.

Insurance rates are higher for these cars as well. Risky behavior = what type of driving habits? Bumhole-ish. Insurance risk rates back it up as well.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Dizzy1 wrote:I just find it fascinating that so many people are obsessed with the behavior of those who have successful lives.

I think people see strange nobility in mediocrity. We're being told over and over again that if you're successful you're a bad person. If you have money you're a jerk. If you are a boss, your a psychopath. If you are wealthy nobody loves you, but if you're a poor you have family and friends. Money apparently turns people into jerks over night. With this messages coming out from all angles, why bother becoming better at anything, why bother being successful.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:We're being told over and over again that if you're successful you're a bad person.

With this messages coming out from all angles,

Tell me about it. When I went to school it was nothing but "don't succeed" and "a good job will not make you happy".

Same goes for everytime I turn on the TV. Be poor. Be anonymous. Don't be flashy. It wont make you happy or a better person. We all get up and go to work in the morning in hopes of becoming less successful so we can live smaller, simpler lives. The carrot dangling infront of the working class of North America.

Again, seriously, it was a interesting dynamic and topic. The social gods in which we are all geared to work towards are *bleep* and don't yield to pedestrians.

- Buckminster Fuller
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There are plenty of kind, considerate, wealthy people, they just don't stand out.

Asshats stand out.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Asshats stand out.

So does data in a study, as per the study posted.

...as opposed to observational hearsay.

It's a stretch to say all successful people drive fancy cars. It's not a stretch to say the ones that do drive like asshats. Fancy cars are sold as a "emotional and material benefit" of success. People measure success in different ways.

- Buckminster Fuller
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

To be honest, if I drove a super expensive or nice car, I'd probably drive more cautiously to avoid any damage to it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”