Just another rhymes with 'whoosh' on a Harley

Home of the traffic rant.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Just another rhymes with 'whoosh' on a Harley

Post by KL3-Something »

KL3-Something wrote:I would say that the guy on the bike drives like a bit of a door knob.

I'd have to watch his driving for a little longer in order for my opinion to arrive at the "jerk" level.

Someone changed the descriptor that I used. I wouldn't have used "jerk". Mine originally rhymed with "whoosh".
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Just another rhymes with 'woosh' on a Harley

Post by my5cents »

KL3-Something wrote:"Oxl3y - So jaywalking isn't a thing? I think a lot of people need to get reimbursed for tickets they have gotten then."

Nope. Not illegal. Some cities may have bylaws against it, but not Kelowna. I'm not sure which tickets these people need to get reimbursed for.

Well for starters, if Kelowna had a Jaywalking Bylaw, she still wasn't jaywalking. Jaywalking is crossing the street within a block of a traffic control signal. ie at traffic light. There's no light in this area at all. Her action wouldn't even be illegal in Vancouver, which does have a jaywalking bylaw.

When a pedestrian crosses the street against a red traffic light, some call that "jaywalking" which it is not. BUT that's why cities have jaywalking bylaws because if you are a pedestrian all you have to do if you want to cross the street at an intersection with a red light, just cross a few feet from the intersection.

BY-LAW NO. 2849
    A By-law to Regulate Traffic and the Use of Streets
    in the City of Vancouver

"Jaywalk" means to cross a roadway, not being a lane, at any place which is not within a crosswalk and which is less than one block from an intersection at which traffic control signals are in operation.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

my5cents wrote:Well for starters, if Kelowna had a Jaywalking Bylaw, she still wasn't jaywalking. Jaywalking is crossing the street within a block of a traffic control signal. ie at traffic light. There's no light in this area at all. Her action wouldn't even be illegal in Vancouver, which does have a jaywalking bylaw.

When a pedestrian crosses the street against a red traffic light, some call that "jaywalking" which it is not. BUT that's why cities have jaywalking bylaws because if you are a pedestrian all you have to do if you want to cross the street at an intersection with a red light, just cross a few feet from the intersection.

BY-LAW NO. 2849
    A By-law to Regulate Traffic and the Use of Streets
    in the City of Vancouver

"Jaywalk" means to cross a roadway, not being a lane, at any place which is not within a crosswalk and which is less than one block from an intersection at which traffic control signals are in operation.

There is a visible crosswalk less than a block from where she crossed, you can even see it in the video. Am I expected to feel sympathy for her because she had to rush to get out of the way in a place she shouldn't have been crossing anyways? Don't get me wrong I don't honestly think she did anything wrong, I cross roads like that all the time, but to make her out as some kind of victim to throw a bad light on the biker is ridiculous.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I know some of you are simply jumping on a poorly conceived bandwagon constructed near the beginning of the thread, but this is getting hysterical. Please try to put some independent thought into your posts before you hit the reply button.

The female pedestrian was breaking no laws. She was simply crossing the street early on a Saturday morning when traffic was light.

The whoosh on the Harley was breaking laws and being stupid -- speeding and passing on the right.

I know we were all brought up under different scruples and morals. When I see a pedestrian on the road, I back off. Some of you apparently invent imaginary 'jaywalking' laws and say, 'the beach has it coming.'
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Oxl3y wrote:There is a visible crosswalk less than a block from where she crossed, you can even see it in the video. Am I expected to feel sympathy for her because she had to rush to get out of the way in a place she shouldn't have been crossing anyways? Don't get me wrong I don't honestly think she did anything wrong, I cross roads like that all the time, but to make her out as some kind of victim to throw a bad light on the biker is ridiculous.

I thought the whole thing was much ado about nothing.

The nearby crosswalk doesn't factor in to the legality of her crossing the road mid block. In fact in Kelowna, if there was a traffic light 20 feet away from her, she still wasn't doing anything wrong.

People put far too much importance into "a marked crosswalk". A "marked crosswalk", legally, is exactly the same as an unmarked crosswalk at every intersection in BC. They are legally, absolutely identical from a Motor Vehicle stand point.

From the way people cross the street without looking around, not continually checking ("if that car they think is stopping, actually is) you'd think a cross walk (marked or otherwise) was a force field protecting them.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I know some of you are simply jumping on a poorly conceived bandwagon constructed near the beginning of the thread, but this is getting hysterical. Please try to put some independent thought into your posts before you hit the reply button.

The female pedestrian was breaking no laws. She was simply crossing the street early on a Saturday morning when traffic was light.

The whoosh on the Harley was breaking laws and being stupid -- speeding and passing on the right.

I know we were all brought up under different scruples and morals. When I see a pedestrian on the road, I back off. Some of you apparently invent imaginary 'jaywalking' laws and say, 'the beach has it coming.'

.... and then there are the ones who claim the motorcycle is breaking the law by "passing on the right". You will note the roadway has two marked lanes, making it a "laned roadway", thus passing on the right is legal, just like the woman crossing the street.

Passing on right (From the Motor Vehicle Act of BC)

158 (1) The driver of a vehicle must not cause or permit the vehicle to overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle, except

(a) when the vehicle overtaken is making a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn,

(b) when on a laned roadway there is one or more than one unobstructed lane on the side of the roadway on which the driver is permitted to drive, or

(c) on a one way street or a highway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and is of sufficient width for 2 or more lanes of moving vehicles.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I see it as all 3 parties are d-bags.

1) Woman wandering across a road without trying to find an intersection or crosswalk.

2) Speeding guy on bike

3) Whiny Castanet poster who thinks everyone but him is wrong. I mean really... "passing on the right" ???? LMAO

** Something for everyone to consider...

There is no intersection there. There is no marked crosswalk. There is no reason for the guy on the bike to assume/predict there will be a pedestrian on the road there and they would have been obscured by PVT in the vehicle. They biker saw the pedestrian at the last second and changed lanes to avoid the pedestrian (and merge into the lane). Nothing crazy, other than a bit of the speed issue
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

That's a nice camera.

And while I see my share of questionable bikers as do we all, I have to say this was pretty tame.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”