Runaway school bus

Home of the traffic rant.
zzontar
Guru

Runaway school bus

Post by zzontar »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#121002

A runaway school bus crashed into two cars when its brakes failed Wednesday afternoon in Vernon.

The driver, a 35-year-old Saskatchewan woman, was with six children in the bus at the parking lot above Kal Beach when it began rolling backwards.

The rolling bus struck a F350 truck and then continued rolling through the parking lot, hitting a Toyota Sienna van and pushing it through a chain link fence.

Vernon RCMP say the parking lot is usually quite busy, and it's fortunate no one was hurt in the incident.

An officer at the scene promptly ordered the bus be taken out of service until it passes a mechanical safety inspection.

It's a good thing no one was killed, especially seeing as she could have just given it some gas in "drive" as soon as it started rolling backwards! Don't school buses have emergency brakes as well? Seems like a case of panic over pro-active reaction.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
atenbacon
Übergod

Re: Runaway school bus

Post by atenbacon »

zzontar wrote:It's a good thing no one was killed, especially seeing as she could have just given it some gas in "drive" as soon as it started rolling backwards! Don't school buses have emergency brakes as well? Seems like a case of panic over pro-active reaction.

Shift a bus that is rolling backwards and the brakes failed into drive?

Uhhuh... yeah. Thanks for the tip bus expert guy.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

atenbacon wrote:
Shift a bus that is rolling backwards and the brakes failed into drive?

Uhhuh... yeah. Thanks for the tip bus expert guy.

I'm assuming the bus was running, the instant it started rolling back she could have shifted it into drive in a second if she wasn't in drive already in which case she just had to give it gas. Then there's the e-brake which I'm assuming you wouldn't think of either.

Of course if she, like you, would wait until the bus picks up speed and starts careening into cars and THEN tries to put it in drive it would be more difficult.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

zzontar wrote:I'm assuming......

Indeed.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The news story is a bit vague as it does not tell us whether anyone was in the bus when it rolled or if the bus was parked or just stopped and still running.
Without more information it is all assumptions.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

atenbacon wrote: Indeed.

*removed* If she was parked and in "park" it wouldn't start rolling unless the torque pin was broken. What's your theory, the torque pin was broken, the e-brake suddenly failed, and it couldn't be put in gear?
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 15th, 2014, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comment
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

trucks and busses with automatics don't have a park pin due to weight they use neutral position and the park brake that someone forgot to set
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

LTD wrote:trucks and busses with automatics don't have a park pin due to weight they use neutral position and the park brake that someone forgot to set

Good to know, I thought the smaller buses had them.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

that old pile of crap may have had a manual in it that someone left in neutral
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

The driver was from Saskatchewan, they have never had a vehicle roll away there.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”