Dash Cams

Home of the traffic rant.
matai
Banned

Dash Cams

Post by matai »

Ok so its been many times I saw idiots on the road and that I wished I had a dashcam.

Latest adventure, yesterday evening around 10pm, I was in the left lane when some idiot going 10 under speed limit decided to cut me instead of staying in his slow lane on the highway. Following him for a while without any chance to pass (there was another car going same speed on its side), coasting at 80km/h when all the sudden he hits the brakes so hard and made a uturn without any warning or signal.

I had to hit my brakes hard as well, and if the car behind me hadn't swerved in the right lane, he would have rear-ended me as all of this happened without any warning and very quickly.

Long story short, just wondering, where can we buy good yet affordable dash cams?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lostsurferinbc
Fledgling

Post by lostsurferinbc »

Go see andy at Mirror Image Auto in kelowna. They sell them there. $60
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

http://foxoffer.com/

Been using the A118 for a couple of months now. Free shipping. No duty.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Don't waste money on a dash cam just look in your rear view mirror
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

skydawg wrote:Don't waste money on a dash cam just look in your rear view mirror

If someone were to hit me and ICBC wants to assign 50/50 blame and its not my fault, I want proof. It has nothing to do with looking in your mirror. I've been driving for decades and haven't been hit, but it could happen.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Hmmm I guess that joke went right over your head
godfatherI

Post by godfatherI »

Considering buying a dashcam as a Christmas gift. So I would like to ask a dumb question or two:
Thanks in advance for any advice - don't want to go out and buy something that will be useless to the recipient.
BTW the links to various models were helpful; just don't know enough about the technology to make a decision.

Do these mount on the dash itself or under the rear view mirror (car is a convertible)
How are they powered - battery or plugged in to the car (like a cig lighter spot - what if you don't have one)
Should they be professionally installed

I see they are reasonably priced on the Internet, but any local suggestions that sell and install the product without having to mortgage the house?
3068rocky

Post by 3068rocky »

We just bought a dash cam. Bought in the states on Black Friday. It is a Cobra CDR 820. Works good. Easy to use. ICBC says don't swerve, instead hit the dear with your Honda Civic or it won't be comprehension coverage. My husband responded but then you will be paying out a death benefit. So we got one. Not sure if will make a difference next time we swerve. But it is still good to use.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I bought one on boxing day from Visions for 70 bucks. Havent used it yet, but looking forward to it
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

If you already have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, go to the App Store and download CarCamApp. You can use your iDevice as a dashcam to loop-record hi-res video clips of varying lengths and automatically record time and location coordinates plus sound, and best of all it's free. However, if you're using the device's other audio functions like listening to music or making a call, the app won't record sound. Other than that, it works great.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”