Traffic circles

Home of the traffic rant.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Traffic circles

Post by dodgerdodge »

Poindexter wrote:In Australia the drivers in the circle also yield to the drivers merging so no one should actually come to a stop, the circle simply slows down. Here people make an effort to speed up to block entry of those merging. Mind you the circles were larger there. Would be interesting for Kelowna to attempt a multi lane traffic circle at a larger intersection. Who knows, we may have better drivers than we think. lol!

How does the part of your statement i highlighted make sense? Those already in the circle (roundabout) have right of way. Those trying to enter DO NOT. They are free to merge into the roundabout when it is safe to do so. You cannot "block entry" just because you are travelling inside the circle. You are supposed to keep moving not give way to those entering. They MUST wait!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I understand who has the right of way but just like any situation where one car has to yield to another a little cooperation goes a long way. For example when you are merging onto a hwy there are some who will deliberately block the car that is merging so that the vehicle doesn't merge in front of them. Same thing in a traffic circle, while the driver trying to enter must yield the driver in the circle shouldn't speed up to block them from entering.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Poindexter wrote:In Australia the drivers in the circle also yield to the drivers merging so no one should actually come to a stop, the circle simply slows down. Here people make an effort to speed up to block entry of those merging. Mind you the circles were larger there. Would be interesting for Kelowna to attempt a multi lane traffic circle at a larger intersection. Who knows, we may have better drivers than we think. lol!

Sounds like your a "cup half empty" person.

Ever think the vehicle in the roundabout, who by law isn't required to yield, and every driving training manual states "you should never relinquish the right of way, because if confuses everyone and can cause accidents". Was speeding up so the vehicle could pull into the roundabout behind, quicker ?

Also "mind you the circles were larger there", you may be describing and actual traffic circle, which is not what we have here locally.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've seen a young lady laying on the horn because someone merged in front of her into the traffic circle. Why she thought it wise to speed up entering the circle (20 km I believe is the speed limit) is beyond me. Her tires shouldn't be making a screeching sound.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

my5cents wrote:"you should never relinquish the right of way, because if confuses everyone and can cause accidents".

Really? Allowing someone to merge into traffic in front of you is contrary to the drivers manual? Where the heck did u learn to drive? You sound exactly like the person fancy is describing.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:I've seen a young lady laying on the horn because someone merged in front of her into the traffic circle. Why she thought it wise to speed up entering the circle (20 km I believe is the speed limit) is beyond me. Her tires shouldn't be making a screeching sound.

I figure if they can get in front of me and I don't have to "hit" the brakes then they did it right.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Given some of the comments on this thread perhaps we should rename them "emotional wheelies".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Emocircles..
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bsuds ...

That would make the vehicles "emoticars" and the criminally bad drivers "emoticons".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not allowed in here, the emoticons have been banned.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Poindexter wrote:Really? Allowing someone to merge into traffic in front of you is contrary to the drivers manual? Where the heck did u learn to drive? You sound exactly like the person fancy is describing.

Don't change my words.

I said relinquishing the right of way. Merging is merging.

When you talk about roundabouts, because we don't have any traffic circles in BC, there is no merging. There is yielding. The vehicle in the roundabout has the right of way, the vehicle entering the roundabout has a yield sign. The vehicle entering the roundabout YIELDS to the vehicle in the roundabout. That, is simply the law.

You DON'T stop in a roundabout, and wave someone, who is waiting to enter the roundabout, in. You proceed as you should.

As for driving and "learn to drive", I'll put my knowledge of the traffic laws in BC up against anyone in these forums.
Last edited by my5cents on Sep 4th, 2014, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

If you put your left signal on when you enter the circle and keep it on until you reach the exit one exit ahead of the exit you intend to use, those entering will know what you intend doing at any given time. Changing to your right signal as you pass the exit one before the exit you intend to use makes those waiting to enter that it is safe to do so.

Puzzlingly the law does not require you to use your left signal at all. It just makes sense.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Donald G wrote:If you put your left signal on when you enter the circle and keep it on until you reach the exit one exit ahead of the exit you intend to use, those entering will know what you intend doing at any given time. Changing to your right signal as you pass the exit one before the exit you intend to use makes those waiting to enter that it is safe to do so.

Puzzlingly the law does not require you to use your left signal at all. It just makes sense.

I'd guess that about 20 - 25% signal out of a roundabout. What do you think the chances are that they would do any better signaling left while not exiting and right as they were ? If we could count on 100% compliance of just signaling out of a roundabout that would solve the problem of knowing who was going to continue in the roundabout.

I know what you're saying, a vehicle is approaching you in the roundabout and you want to enter. They have no signal on, are they a) continuing in the roundabout and they know the law about signaling out, or b) are they one of the 80% that doesn't signal and they are going to exit the roundabout and you could have gone.

If they had their left turn signal on at least you would know they know what they are doing and are continuing in the roundabout.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To My5cents ...

The way I look at it is that I believes it makes other drivers aware of what I am doing and thus, for the time I am in the circle, adds a degree of safety to me personally. But I know what you mean by no signal being a sign that "I am continuing around the circle" or "I am exiting but I didn't put on my right signal".
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

my5cents wrote:Don't change my words.

I said relinquishing the right of way. Merging is merging.

When you talk about roundabouts, because we don't have any traffic circles in BC, there is no merging. There is yielding. The vehicle in the roundabout has the right of way, the vehicle entering the roundabout has a yield sign. The vehicle entering the roundabout YIELDS to the vehicle in the roundabout. That, is simply the law.

You DON'T stop in a roundabout, and wave someone, who is waiting to enter the roundabout, in. You proceed as you should.

As for driving and "learn to drive", I'll put my knowledge of the traffic laws in BC up against anyone in these forums.

Um, don't change my words? :)

Where did I say stop to let people in?

I do however completely agree with you about that. I'm always taken back when people out the blue come to a complete stop on a road to let some in. Courtesy is all I'm talking about but stopping is taking courtesy to a dangerous level.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”