Traffic circles

Home of the traffic rant.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Traffic circles

Post by my5cents »

36Drew wrote:No - it's the design. Traffic circles are smaller, and look like a standard intersection without a stop sign and a circle in the middle. You could pull out the circle, drop in stop signs, and it would look like a standard intersection. They are typically found in neighborhoods - but Kelowna has none.

Actually, I'm told it's the opposite. Traffic circles are much larger.

Before your post, 36Drew, I thought, "traffic circle" and "roundabout" were just two terms for the same thing. I'm sure most reading this did as well. ie, we've all been commenting on our experiences.

Unless the attached article is completely wrong, it appears roundabouts are safer because by their design of being smaller, they restrict traffic, which causes traffic to go around more slowly. Traffic circles on the other hand are very large and designed for higher speeds.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

You are correct, in the Okanagan we don't have any "Traffic Circles", we have "Roundabouts".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

my5cents wrote:Before your post, 36Drew, I thought, "traffic circle" and "roundabout" were just two terms for the same thing. I'm sure most reading this did as well. ie, we've all been commenting on our experiences.

Unless the attached article is completely wrong, it appears roundabouts are safer because by their design of being smaller, they restrict traffic, which causes traffic to go around more slowly. Traffic circles on the other hand are very large and designed for higher speeds.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

You are correct, in the Okanagan we don't have any "Traffic Circles", we have "Roundabouts".

Traffic Circles, at least in BC, are much much smaller. Less than 20m. And exist in neighborhoods. Perhaps you've seen them in Vancouver, Burnaby or New West?

I can't find the official definition on the MoT's website (Gov't websites - information is a moving target), but you can at least read a bit more here: http://drivesmartbc.ca/intersections/roundabouts-and-traffic-circles (One has to trust that Mr. Schewe's own research is accurate).

There are larger traffic circles in the world - but not in BC. We have neighborhood traffic circles only. And yes, they're considered to be more dangerous. Cyclists complain about them a lot on busier streets. They also restrict rather than facilitate the flow of traffic. You can't whip around those islands at all. Great for a neighborhood, but lousy for a main intersection.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

36Drew wrote:(One has to trust that Mr. Schewe's own research is accurate)

Actually I'm more skeptical than ever with his name on it.

Modern roundabouts involve low speeds for entering and circulating traffic, as governed by small diameters and deflected (curved) entrances. In contrast, traffic circles emphasize high-speed merging and weaving, made possible by larger diameters and tangential (straight) entrances.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/main/roundabouts/background

Modern roundabouts are generally much smaller than older traffic circles, and require vehicles to negotiate a sharper curve to enter. These differences make travel speeds in roundabouts much slower than speeds in traffic circles. Because of the higher speeds in traffic circles, many were equipped with traffic signals or stop signs to help reduce potential collisions. In addition, some traffic circles operated according to the traditional “yield-to-the-right” rule, with circulating traffic yielding to entering traffic.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/engine ... /faq.shtml

Roundabouts are different from Traffic Circles
Modern roundabouts are different from traffic circles, such as those built in Edmonton. The centre island of the modern roundabout is smaller and has been designed with a tighter curvature that encourages lower speeds, resulting in a safer intersection that can accommodate more vehicles per hour.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/3644.htm

Looks like the state of New York, the province of Ontario and the province of Alberta don't agree with Mr Schewe. There's more but how many times do you have to read the same thing.

Yes, he used to be a Mountie, that and two bits will get you a phone call (it is still two bits isn't it ?)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here is a google map of one in Kelowna as reference: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8709869, ... a=!3m1!1e3
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

my5cents wrote:Looks like the state of New York, the province of Ontario and the province of Alberta don't agree with Mr Schewe. There's more but how many times do you have to read the same thing.

Yes, he used to be a Mountie, that and two bits will get you a phone call (it is still two bits isn't it ?)

Fair enough. That said, Kelowna has zero traffic circles, and the hundred or so neighborhood traffic circles in vancouver/burnaby/new west are of the small variety, differ significantly in construction from a roundabout, and are designed to calm traffic rather than allow said traffic to move fast through them.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:Looks like the state of New York, the province of Ontario and the province of Alberta don't agree with Mr Schewe. There's more but how many times do you have to read the same thing.

36Drew wrote:Fair enough. That said, Kelowna has zero traffic circles, and the hundred or so neighborhood traffic circles in vancouver/burnaby/new west are of the small variety, differ significantly in construction from a roundabout, and are designed to calm traffic rather than allow said traffic to move fast through them.

The City of Kelowna calls them roundabouts not traffic circles as seen in the link below.
http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page2691.aspx

Addd: so this thread should be renamed Roundabouts
Last edited by GordonH on Aug 30th, 2014, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

36Drew wrote:Fair enough. That said, Kelowna has zero traffic circles, and the hundred or so neighborhood traffic circles in vancouver/burnaby/new west are of the small variety, differ significantly in construction from a roundabout, and are designed to calm traffic rather than allow said traffic to move fast through them.

To be fair to Mr Schewe, in some traffic planning circles (no pun intended) they use the term "traffic circle" to mean the circular planter placed in the centre of an intersection. In that application, the intersection isn't changed in any way, shape or form, it's just impeded by the circular planter.

Personally I think the use of that name (traffic circle) for the circular planter is a poor choice, in that the traffic must avoid a circle, not travel in one. It's also confusing when the generally accepted definition of a "traffic circle" refers to a large circle that is designed completely differently from the circular planter idea. "Speed reducing obstruction" ???

GordonH wrote:The City of Kelowna calls them roundabouts not traffic circles as seen in the link below.
http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page2691.aspx

Yup, Kelowna's definition of a Traffic Circle is the large variety as well:

Roundabouts, rotaries, traffic circles - they're all the same, aren't they?

No. Other than sharing a circular shape, a modern roundabout operates much differently than other traffic circles, including rotaries. A modern roundabout requires entering traffic to yield the right-of-way to traffic already in the roundabout. This keeps the traffic in the roundabout constantly moving and prevents much of the gridlock that plagues rotaries. Modern roundabouts are also much smaller than traffic circles and thus operate at safer, slower speeds. The design of a modern roundabout allows capacities comparable to signals but with generally a higher degree of safety.

Well,,,, I guess we beat that one to death. What ? nobody's complaining that this was an NDP or a Liberal idea ????
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:What ? nobody's complaining that this was an NDP or a Liberal idea ????

Nope, I find they work well for me. Traffic on the most part moves thru better than four way stop.
Which funny enough has about the same amount of drivers that have no idea how to use either lol. Remove the traffic light and some lose total memory how rules of road work.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Nope, I find they work well for me. Traffic on the most part moves thru better than four way stop.
Which funny enough has about the same amount of drivers that have no idea how to use either lol. Remove the traffic light and some lose total memory how rules of road work.

Yes,,, maybe not fool proof, but fool friendly.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Think of them as convenient places for novel U-turns.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

In Australia the drivers in the circle also yield to the drivers merging so no one should actually come to a stop, the circle simply slows down. Here people make an effort to speed up to block entry of those merging. Mind you the circles were larger there. Would be interesting for Kelowna to attempt a multi lane traffic circle at a larger intersection. Who knows, we may have better drivers than we think. lol!
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Donald G wrote:Think of them as convenient places for novel U-turns.

Watched a car go around about 3 times before exiting. Don't know if he was lost or having fun.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bsuds ...

You watched me eh?

I think them's called "Triple O" turns. As opposed to double O and Big O.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”