Bypass for Kelowna W-Kelowna & Peachland?

Home of the traffic rant.
matai
Banned

Bypass for Kelowna W-Kelowna & Peachland?

Post by matai »

I think beside speculating, we now have real-life experience to show us if a bypass is a good idea or if it would kill the local businesses.

One would only have to look at New Brunswick, having the Trans-Canada highway moved from the cities/villages core to bypassing all of it about 15 years ago, but keeping the old route and renaming it "panoramic", also adding a bike path to it (by paving the side of the road).

I'm sure the Provincial government and the local chambers of commerce could easily make some phone calls over there (local Edmundston & Grand Falls Chamber of Commerce for example) to inquire about how of a positive or negative impact the bypass had, as well of its effects on local businesses.

See map:
-Route #2 is the NEW transcanada Highway
-Route #144 is the old route which uses to go right in every single city and village

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.3437176,-68.2827563,12z

What do you think of the idea of bypassing the whole thing?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: How bad would a bypass be for Kelowna W-Kelowna & Peachl

Post by Bsuds »

You don't need to g that far away. Just ask Hope BC. The new Hwy bypassed them.
The last time we stopped there a few months ago it was very busy at the gas station restaurant.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

In New Brunswick, the new highway even bypasses Frederictun (the Capital) and Monctun (the Metropole).
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bsuds wrote:You don't need to g that far away. Just ask Hope BC. The new Hwy bypassed them.
The last time we stopped there a few months ago it was very busy at the gas station restaurant.

I've always liked stopping there ...

And besides , If you don't actually go there how can you say ,"I'm beyond Hope" ? AFTER you leave , that is ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

You don't even have to look at Hope (or you can barely see downtown Hope). Just the Penticton channel parkway took enough business away from downtown, and then Coquihalla did even more damage to Penticton.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Penticton is a bad example in the way that the Coquihalla totally diverts traffic 35km away from it... A bypass in Kelowna, West Kelowna & Peachland would see traffic run beside town, instead of in town, with easy access to them.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

matai wrote:Penticton is a bad example in the way that the Coquihalla totally diverts traffic 35km away from it... A bypass in Kelowna, West Kelowna & Peachland would see traffic run beside town, instead of in town, with easy access to them.

Nah ... the connector doesn't stop me from going to Keremeos...

The pub burning down did though .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bypasses sometimes have consequences, but that's life. Because the Okanagan economy is strong, and not based upon people from Vernon heading to Osoyoos getting frustrated in traffic thus stopping unexpectedly in Kelowna, the communities will weather the storm. Not that there would be much of a storm. Besides, some communities like the quiet life. Do you think that Naramata is suffering without a highway through town? Didn't think so.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

Merritt became a hotbed of tourist activity and a shopping mecca because they decided to not bypass it with the connector.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think a bypass would be great. NB wouldn't be a fair to compare with, sadly their economy has been crap seemingly forever.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

delSol97 wrote:Merritt became a hotbed of tourist activity and a shopping mecca because they decided to not bypass it with the connector.

Merritt would have still benefited greatly because hwy 5 goes right by it. For some odd reason, that wasn't enough to satify the government, so the added the Connector traffic as well.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

delSol97 wrote:Merritt became a hotbed of tourist activity and a shopping mecca because they decided to not bypass it with the connector.

We go to Vancouver and back at least 4 times a year. I think we have gone into Merritt once.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

There has been studies done, talk about a bypass since the mid 70's. There were even plans and drawings published. Nothing ever happened. Yes the valley needs a bypass badly. Unfortunately most merchants and business men think not to channel all traffic thru just about the hearts of West Kelowna, Kelowna and Vernon think they will loose business. The opposite is true. So its a political thing. Nothing to do with what is best for moving traffic. And now Christy C is on the bandwagon and another 3 million study. Give me a million and I do it ha ha. Oh and by the way, the so called Merritt connection also was a political issue as the original connector was going via Aspen Groves bypassing Merritt. So now truckers, buses and all other traffic has to go down a long hill just to go back uphill on the other side, both ways.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Glacier wrote: For some odd reason, that wasn't enough to satify the government, so the added the Connector traffic as well.

Odd reason???
Harry Lali, the NDP MLA from Merritt and then Highways Minister, fought tooth and nail to see HWY 5a meet up with HWY 5 just outside Merritt.
The reason the stretch of 5a from the Aspen Grove Rd to Merrit was only two lanes for a decade was because the plan for 5a was never to go near Merritt but to bypass it completely via an Aspen Grove route. This would have reduced the driving time by approx 20 minutes from Kelowna to Vancouver and saved millions in fuel. But Harry decided to help Merritt at the expense of everyone who drives 5a.
The reason was not odd at all and certainly not to satisfy the government, or the general public, but to satisfy the political agenda of one man.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Took a few minutes several years ago to chat with a person in favor of Peachland bypass. They had studies showing vast majority of traffic on 97 through Peachland did not stop in Peachland. Percentage in the 90's. Based on what I saw from the Peachland example I don't feel a bypass would have too bad of an effect.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”