Slow down in the rain!

Home of the traffic rant.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Slow down in the rain!

Post by Bsuds »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Ok ... uses-crash

Sorry but if you don't drive for the road conditions this can happen and you may just deserve it.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Slow down in the rain!

Post by flamingfingers »

Bsuds wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Okanagan/123522/Hydroplaning-causes-crash

Sorry but if you don't drive for the road conditions this can happen and you may just deserve it.

Maybe I am wrong, but I was taught that hydroplaning had some relation to speed. I guess I have been too cautious in watching my speed while driving in rainy/wet conditions?
Chill
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hydroplanning is usual caused by 3 main factors:
● amount water on the road
● speed
● style of tire (if the tire does not have grooves around circumference of surface which lets water eazy route to flow. If these grooves are not there the tire will then sit on top of the water on the road surface at highway speeds = which equals Hydroplanning.

So out of the 3 items the driver has control of 2 of them, of course there are other causes I believe these to be main 3.

Always drive according to road conditions, please don't take unneeded chances.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

I had a lot of trouble in the rain today, I think my tires are too old (about 6, but with lots of thread left.) I didn't crash, I just changed how I drove and stopped. it's the first thing you learn.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Try and stay out of the ruts. 97N by the airport through Winfield is brutal for accumulated water in the ruts. Needs to be resurfaced and wouldn't be surprised if those ruts were also partly responsible for the rash of accident deaths in that area.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”