Following too closely

Home of the traffic rant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I couldn't understand why OKclimber and zak97 would think that it was illegal to pass on the right hand side with 2 lanes going in the same direction. That's basic knowledge and just have to look at the ICBC Road Sense site. Maybe not safer but certainly not illegal. Another thing to keep in mind is that the lights are sychronized for a certain speed limit as far as I know. From what I've read here, some people should be taking a course such as Young Drivers. I'm all for refresher courses too.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

I've known people to think that was law as well...but in their defense I think what might be causing confusion is the fact that passing on the shoulder is illegal...you'll get yanked over for that one if ya get spotted...although SOOOooo many people do it...single lane traffic and guy ahead signals left...slows...stops...what do too many folks think it's ok to do?...just deek in on his right, taking the shoulder or the open zone of the intersection to pass 'em...WRONG....so that being said...I think the passing on the shoulder confuses folks over time and it becomes sorta easy to think of any passing on the right to be illegal...just a friday dinnerbuzz theory...weigh accordingly...lol.
Canada4Life
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Canada4Life »

joe smo wrote:My other pet peave is drivers who drive in the right lane when the left lane is empty and there are cars attempting to merge onto Hwy 97. Move over you dim wits.

That works well in other cities, but have you ever tried moving over for merging traffic here in Kelowna? They just sit there waiting for you to go past before pulling on to the road. I guess they're just not used to people moving over for them, don't know how to react.

zak97 wrote:but travelling in the left lane 20 k under the limit should also be illegal

It is.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've almost been clipped by someone passing on the right (one lane so they were on the shoulder) at a crosswalk. The car making the left hand turn honked at me in warning so I was able to jump out of the way. There's been more than a few pedestrians hit by illegal passing. And I love the fact that people refer to the passing lane when talking about Harvey Avenue.
zak97
Board Meister

Post by zak97 »

Fancy wrote: Another thing to keep in mind is that the lights are sychronized for a certain speed limit as far as I know. .

I don't believe they are here - at least if they have finaly did it, it hasn't been for long. Alot of drivers have been fighting to get that done around here for years. It has been like that in cities in MB for decades - It would make driving in this town alot more pleasurable for us drivers!
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

On the Autobaun in Germany the left is only for passing. If someone comes up behind you and you do not move over, then they will flash their lights...this is the signal to "Please move over". If you still refuse to move or are too slow in moving over then be prepared for a little bump from behind...This is the signal for "Get the **** over!" This all happens in a matter of one minute...going at speeds up to 200km. It is unbelievable!!

I would fit right in over there! :biggrin:
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

Sorry Commonsense, but your contribution is incorrect.

The FIRST car behind a vehicle turning left in a queue is legally allowed to signal and go around on the right IF safe to do so. And ONLY the first vechicle, cars further down the line from the first vehicle behind the vehicle turning would be breaking the law in doing so. As the line shortens, the first vehicle rule follows the new car behind the vehicle changing direction.

This was a CHBC story a couple years ago in Penticton, and was heavily enforced on Government Street in the video footage.

funfact: Also, a vehicle turning left on a double solid, that impedes vehicles behind his/hers becomes illegal when the said turning vehicle accumulates 4+ motorvehicles behind his/hers.

Impeding the flow of traffic is defined as: Turning left other then at an intersection (S. 166C of the Motor Vehicle Act) and the fine is $121.00.

and for those that indignantly believe they can impede traffic flow below the speed limit in the left most lane of a multi-laned causeway:

Chapter 318 Definition 150 - (2) The driver of a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must drive the vehicle in the right hand lane then available for traffic, or as closely as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

On the Autobaun in Germany the left is only for passing. If someone comes up behind you and you do not move over, then they will flash their lights...this is the signal to "Please move over". If you still refuse to move or are too slow in moving over then be prepared for a little bump from behind...This is the signal for "Get the **** over!" This all happens in a matter of one minute...going at speeds up to 200km. It is unbelievable!!

This isn't abnormal on a freeway even in Canada. I have often flashed my lights at a slow car in front of me to have them move over. It's called courtesy.
Well Now

Post by Well Now »

Actually if you noticed on Highways that is why it is commonly posted that slower traffic must keep right, and that failure to do so is an offence. That said there can be situations where being that person in the left lane causing the person to pass is at fault, or the person passing is the one at fault, depending on different factors.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Actually if you noticed on Highways that is why it is commonly posted that slower traffic must keep right, and that failure to do so is an offence

And your point is? I think if people don't get this it's time to take a refresher course. Or at least get their licence!
Well Now

Post by Well Now »

Fancy wrote:
Actually if you noticed on Highways that is why it is commonly posted that slower traffic must keep right, and that failure to do so is an offence

And your point is? I think if people don't get this it's time to take a refresher course. Or at least get their licence!

That you should not have to pass on the right.
krusty
Fledgling

Post by krusty »

Exactly. So if they started nailing people for going too slow in the left lane instead of nailing people on bridge hill or Glenrosa hill...
My name is Chip and I'm different, I don't conform I wear a different uniform.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've noticed on different threads that a lot of folk are referring to the highway between Westbank and Rutland with respect to this topic. What gets me is that the speed is clearly posted at 80 for a small portion of that highway so if I'm turning left ahead I make sure I'm in the proper lane well before the turnoff and if some macho man decides I'm not going fast enough and starts tailgating me, too bad for him. Why people want to armchair what the police should do is, I guess, a way of passing time. This isn't a freeway and most folks aren't going to make it to their destination any faster relatively speaking.
krusty
Fledgling

Post by krusty »

I agree Fancy but if you're doing 10-20 kph below the posted speed limit in the left lane, then that's a problem.
My name is Chip and I'm different, I don't conform I wear a different uniform.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Only if you're holding up traffic and you can get ticketed for it. However, I've yet to see real slowpokes that have held me up and I really enjoy watching tailgaters get stuck at every light. The volume of traffic is such that it's not going to matter much how slow you're going if you're hitting every single red light through town. I've watched drivers weave in and out of traffic, tailgate, scream through yellow lights and I've caught up with them at Abbott. Tailgaters don't get where they're going any faster.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”