Following too closely

Home of the traffic rant.
krusty
Fledgling

Post by krusty »

But it doesn't give you (or anybody) the excuse to go below the speed limit. This way of thinking is part of the problem IMO. When you think about it,what gives you the right to hold everyone up behind you? Just because you don't want to do the speed limit in the left lane? I'm not asking people to speed but PLEASE do the speed limit or get over to the right lane.
My name is Chip and I'm different, I don't conform I wear a different uniform.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hate to burst your bubble but the 80 sign reads MAXIMUM and that's under ideal conditions. It's still a violation to tailgate. And how are you holding everyone up when you meet up with them at the next light if you were in the right lane?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

I have to agree, it is the maximum posted limit, and you are not required to travel at that speed, and should only travel at the speed you are comfortable driving at, or that climatic conditions prevail. Not all users of the road have the same skill sets. HOWEVER:

from alot of posts in here, one pattern is repeated over and over again.

People who cronically complain about being rearended, or being cut off, or having people driving unsafely close to them. You are without doubt the same people I see who have a car behind them on your butt, whilst other vehicles who are behind the guy/gal riding your butt go around and pass you and him/her one after the other after the other. I kind of have to giggle when you get cut off as I watch from a safe distance. These chronic people are so short sighted that they are causing their own grief.

I don't think for a second anyone of these drivers want to meet you in that capacity. Surely they are not plotting these incidents as they lie in bed each morning.

I see indignant drivers in the left lane (impeding the flow) because of their own selfishness based on Freudian control issues. Totally oblivious they their actions are making normally completely rational people undertake unusual measures just to get away from you and your vortex.

It's like watching Mr/Ms McGoo bopping down the road oblivious to the fact of the world around them. Living in a 10 ft radius

In actuality, these indiviuals have the anger management issue when they purposely slow down, and instigate or contribute to situation. They must not feel they have control in their lives and must hide behind several thousand kg's of motorvehicle to exercise what power must feel like. It's a Freudian thing...

When someone comes up behind me and after a short duration creeps closer, it's obvious to me that they have a dire need to get past, and I have a choice, move over, avoid a situation. This is surely not how I want to meet someone of the community over an index finger, being cut off or personal harm. I'd rather meet them through a normal venue, who knows I may even like them.

I'd feel awful if the car trying to get past me was on his/her way to the hospital or to catch a flight or get to a sick child. (yes as long as they were not breaking the law in doing so, then yet again, it's not up to me to be the official pace car or police them, that's the Police's job)

for now, i'll just giggle from the right side of road.... :)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People who cronically complain about being rearended, or being cut off, or having people driving unsafely close to them. You are without doubt the same people I see who have a car behind them on your butt, whilst other vehicles who are behind the guy/gal riding your butt go around and pass you and him/her one after the other after the other. I kind of have to giggle when you get cut off as I watch from a safe distance. These chronic people are so short sighted that they are causing their own grief.

I disagree. People who complain about being rearended or being cut off are without a doubt those that are trying to be responsible drivers and unfortunately have to share the road with morons who are above the laws and display no common courtesy. I have to giggle when I see those same morons end up at the light with me, stuck behind a big truck and I get to pass him and merrily make my way to my destination. Also have to giggle when I see him weave in and out and finally clip a car and now has the added expense as well as the enjoyment of the one finger salute as everyone else passes him.

I'd feel awful if the car trying to get past me was on his/her way to the hospital or to catch a flight or get to a sick child. (yes as long as they were not breaking the law in doing so, then yet again, it's not up to me to be the official pace car or police them, that's the Police's job)

It's not my business what everyone else is doing on the road - everyone has a reason that is ever so important to them - and it may well be they're in a hurry to get to Tim Horton's. (Actually saw that one day - ended up right behind a huge truck that must have been in a hurry to get to that hospital but pulled into Tim Horton's - I cruised in right behind him - yup the thought of that coffee sure got him going 100 kph down the highway and tailgetting). Yes I had to laugh that day.
krusty
Fledgling

Post by krusty »

Hate to burst your bubble but the 80 sign reads MAXIMUM and that's under ideal conditions. It's still a violation to tailgate. And how are you holding everyone up when you meet up with them at the next light if you were in the right lane?

I'm not saying it's right to tailgate but you're bringing it on if you're doing 70 in an 80 zone and you're in the left lane. Hate to burst YOUR bubble but not everyone that comes up behind you is a 'macho man' trying to prove something. Maybe it's just a Mum with her kids hoping to actually do the speed limit on her commute.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

My bubble never gets popped :) I see some people still ain't gettin' it. Read the signs and abide by them. Doing the speed limit in the left lane through town is not illegal, unsafe and if dear ol' ma is in that much of a hurry she should have left earlier. And tailgating is still dangerous.
krusty
Fledgling

Post by krusty »

That's my point Fancy. You made it sound fine to go noticeably below the speed limit (Left lane) if you felt like it. At least that was my impression.
There, nuff said. My two fingers are tired from typing! LOL
BTW, my bubble was burst long ago... 8^/
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

krusty wrote:

I'm not saying it's right to tailgate but you're bringing it on if you're doing 70 in an 80 zone and you're in the left lane. Hate to burst YOUR bubble but not everyone that comes up behind you is a 'macho man' trying to prove something. Maybe it's just a Mum with her kids hoping to actually do the speed limit on her commute.

You and westbanker are right on the mark with this one. We unfortuneatly had to the go to the Westside today and I was amazed how many people would start in the right hand lane then move to the left (not to turn left anywhere) just to go well below the posted limit and clog up traffic. It wasn't like it was so busy that they couldn't move over to let the guy behind them pass, they I guess, just felt entitled to drive in the left lane at any speed they felt. Those are the people that in the long run cause accidents.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Those are the people that in the long run cause accidents.

I don't buy that unless you've got the stats to back that up and the stats I've seen don't support that reasoning at all. The accidents I've actually seen happen are drivers travelling too fast and rearending others who have slowed for traffic, running yellow and red lights and plain not stopping at stop signs.

krusty - I don't support travelling 10 under the speed limit during optimum driving conditions in the left hand lane. You did get my point but there are too many drivers who think 100/110/120 down the highway around the bridge in either direction is okay and they're the ones who do the tailgating and freak out some drivers who then are too scared to move over. For those who want to debate the reasonings behind why drivers do what they do go ahead. The fact is the rage warriors won't get any further ahead by tailgating and the semantics of passing/left lanes vs travelling in the right lanes through the city centre will fall on deaf ears/blind eyes. The accidents will be caused by inattentive/aggressive drivers. I will continue to drive defensively in the proper lane (right)and meet up with the tailgaters at the next light, as usual. :) :130:
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Maximum speed means just that - do not go over the posted maximum speed.
School zones have posted maximum speed which is 30 km/hr.
Other roadways have a posted maximum speed of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, etc..
What do people not understand here? The posted maximum speed is not a "suggestion" - same as a STOP sign is not a "suggestion". A red light is not a "suggestion"! It is the LAW.
Having said that, I do not believe that you should be "dawdling" along in the left lane - if conditions permit, you should do the speed limit - otherwise MOVE OVER! Let the ones who can/want to do the speed limit (and over) get the h**l away from me!
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

I took Young Drivers 6 week course and was told both in the classroom and out on the road, never impead the flow of traffic.
I was also taught to always know what is going on around me. When I am out in traffic I know which drivers are on the phone, I can see if someone is constantly looking around, these people may make unexpected moves. If the driver next to me is coming up on a slower moving vehicle I already anticipate their wanting to get in my lane and I can adjust for that.
I also notice the drivers who are totally oblivious to what is going on around them. These people are just as dangerous as the agressive drivers.

Sorry, had to correct some spelling.
Stinkerbell

Post by Stinkerbell »

Very good points Houdini. My dad got a ticket for impeding traffic. The reason given to him by the RCMP officer was that his impeding traffic made people try dangerous stupid things.
craigt

Post by craigt »

two things to say
1 - the "left lane" is commonly known as the "passing lane" and when i learned to drive you would only go into that lane to pass and then pull back into the right hand lane when that has been completed.
2 - cell phone issue - if you want to make it illegal to talk on cell phones even when they have a hands free unit like speaker or blue tooth then u better make it illegal to even talk to anyone in a car let alone listen to the radio and even better smoking. last i remember smoking uses 1 hand let alone if you happen to drop it.
the bottom line is that ALL people need to put more attention and care into thers as well as others driving on the road
:124:
Stinkerbell

Post by Stinkerbell »

And mothers when operating their cars should not have their children in their cars.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

craigt wrote:1 - the "left lane" is commonly known as the "passing lane" and when i learned to drive you would only go into that lane to pass and then pull back into the right hand lane when that has been completed.
The left lane is also commonly known as the "through" lane, meaning you travel in the left lane if you are passing through the area and not turning onto a side street. Part of the purpose of the left lane is so that you can keep a steady speed and not have to slow down/speed up every time someone enters/leaves the road.

IMO a "passing lane" is the additional lane added to a two lane highway, usually on inclines, to allow people to pass slower vehicles or vehicles that slow to a crawl on hills. These lanes are usually accompanied by a sign that says "keep right except to pass" or "slower traffic keep right".

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”