Winter Driving & Tires

Home of the traffic rant.
SnoGhost
Fledgling

Re: Winter Driving & Tires

Post by SnoGhost »

I understand the point some of you are attempting to make regarding 4 wheel drive vehicles. We all know the problem here. Too many inexperienced drivers in 4 wheel drive vehicles think they are bullet proof and drive like nothing can go wrong. I have both a front wheel drive car with dedicated snows as well as a 4 wheel drive truck with M&S tires. I drive up Hwy 33 at least 60 times in the winter season with my truck. Usually pulling a trailer with snowmobiles on. I've never had an issue in the absolute worst winter on and off road conditions. Of course I drive "Accordingly". I've pulled every type of vehicle out of the ditch on Hwy 33 and 3 Forks Rd. SUV's. Jacked up rigs. Front wheel drive cars. 5 Ton trucks. I'm not arguing that front wheel drive vehicles with snow tires work well, but if given the choice of driving over the Coquihalla in my 4 wheel drive truck with M&S tires or my Mazda 3 with snows, I'm choosing my truck. Just a note. My truck is not lifted with 35" tires. Stock truck with factory size 16" tires. This makes a huge difference as well. Anyway, back to the point... I guess everyone on here is as confused about the current provincial tire laws as the tire shops and RCMP. So just drive safely everyone.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

What has not been discussed on here is WHEN to use 4 wheel drive.

You are driving in poor winter conditions on the Coquihalla or Hwy 33. You are driving a 4X4 vehicle. Do you put the vehicle in 4 wheel drive ? Leave it in 2 wheel, until you need it ? Which is best ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

SnoGhost wrote:I understand the point some of you are attempting to make regarding 4 wheel drive vehicles. We all know the problem here. Too many inexperienced drivers in 4 wheel drive vehicles think they are bullet proof and drive like nothing can go wrong. I have both a front wheel drive car with dedicated snows as well as a 4 wheel drive truck with M&S tires. I drive up Hwy 33 at least 60 times in the winter season with my truck. Usually pulling a trailer with snowmobiles on. I've never had an issue in the absolute worst winter on and off road conditions. Of course I drive "Accordingly". I've pulled every type of vehicle out of the ditch on Hwy 33 and 3 Forks Rd. SUV's. Jacked up rigs. Front wheel drive cars. 5 Ton trucks. I'm not arguing that front wheel drive vehicles with snow tires work well, but if given the choice of driving over the Coquihalla in my 4 wheel drive truck with M&S tires or my Mazda 3 with snows, I'm choosing my truck. Just a note. My truck is not lifted with 35" tires. Stock truck with factory size 16" tires. This makes a huge difference as well. Anyway, back to the point... I guess everyone on here is as confused about the current provincial tire laws as the tire shops and RCMP. So just drive safely everyone.

The other thing is confirmation bias, which is rampant in this thread. All the "4x4's always pass me then end up in the ditch" is nothing more than anecdotal biased ignore-able fluff. My anecdotal experience says completely different (it's not even close) - but whatever.

Great post, too, BTW. :]
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Woodenhead wrote:The other thing is confirmation bias, which is rampant in this thread. All the "4x4's always pass me then end up in the ditch" is nothing more than anecdotal biased ignore-able fluff. My anecdotal experience says completely different (it's not even close) - but whatever.

Great post, too, BTW. :]

Those are probably the same people who say that the car that fly by them it is always stuck at the next red light.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Getting new snow tires for wife's car and because we live on a hill I've been thinking of going with studded. I've heard they are a lot louder which isn't good, but I've also heard they don't get as good traction on dry pavement. Anyone with studded tire experience that can shed some light on the issue?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Woodenhead wrote:The other thing is confirmation bias, which is rampant in this thread. All the "4x4's always pass me then end up in the ditch" is nothing more than anecdotal biased ignore-able fluff. My anecdotal experience says completely different (it's not even close) - but whatever.]

There isn't much info on Canadian snow/icy road driving (ironically) a 4WD vehicle, much less BC.
The attached site basically confirms my experience, that people driving 4WD vehicles tend to take more chances and are involved in a disproportionate number of crashes in poor weather driving. Granted some of that is because a 2WD vehicle wouldn't be able to even travel on the roadway, I guess

http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/safe.html

Generally when driving in poor conditions I prefer operating an available 4WD vehicle in 2WD. The 4WD only assists in acceleration, not in braking and steering. I'd much prefer to find that my rear wheels are breaking away (while in 2WD) and realized how bad the roads are, than to think there are better than they are because I'm in 4WD and find out when I go to slow, or make a curve that they are worse that I thought. If I'm on a snowy highway, where I need 4WD to move, I shouldn't be there, I should be home in front of the fire.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:Getting new snow tires for wife's car and because we live on a hill I've been thinking of going with studded. I've heard they are a lot louder which isn't good, but I've also heard they don't get as good traction on dry pavement. Anyone with studded tire experience that can shed some light on the issue?

The real benefit of studded tires is on very icy conditions, dry road conditions do wear them down quicker.
Not sure about traction on dry pavement its been couple decades ago since I stopped using them, its probably lot better then metal cheats on concrete (lol).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

^^
Found this site, http://www.consumersearch.com/snow-tire ... snow-tires.
Consumer reports review of snow tires for 2014.

Been getting advised to stay away from studded and get good snow tires. Like you were saying, best on ice but studded are more for climates with constant snow and ice on roads, not with intermittent like we have here.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
P_J_Manning

Post by P_J_Manning »

So the law as it stands this year means that I can't ride my motorbike on 97 until April next year, because you can't get M+S or snowflakes for motorbikes.
Even though the roads is perfectly clear, I can't even go to the mall on 97.
But if I go over to Springfield I'll be fine.
Makes it hard to get over the bridge though.
What total and utter nonsense.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Glacier wrote:Those are probably the same people who say that the car that fly by them it is always stuck at the next red light.

LOL!

@ 5cents - that "site" shows nothing? (hard-data-wise, that is)
Your bias suits you.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

P_J_Manning wrote:So the law as it stands this year means that I can't ride my motorbike on 97 until April next year, because you can't get M+S or snowflakes for motorbikes.

Actually the Highways Minister was on the news a week or so ago talking about the issue and he conceded that the law is in error, taking into account "Indian summers" (no offence to or native brothers and sisters) and such. He said he'd instruct police to use common sense when it came to motorcycles. So I wouldn't be concerned about riding my bike between those dates if the weather permits.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

No matter which type of tire you chose to have this winter, M+S or Snowflake:

Drive according to the road conditions, just because speed limit says "X" does mean you have to travel that fast. You have to remember its not how fast you are traveling, its how quickly can you slow down or stop (or corner) which will be the issue especially in an emergency.

Taking a slogan from Ontario, be safe & arrive alive.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Treat winter like a wild animal: take it slow, and make no sudden movements.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

kgcayenne wrote:Treat winter like a wild animal: take it slow, and make no sudden movements.

... and if you have the choice, avoid it completely.... come on 6/49...
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

P_J_Manning wrote:So the law as it stands this year means that I can't ride my motorbike on 97 until April next year, because you can't get M+S or snowflakes for motorbikes.

No, you don't need winter tires in the city, the restrictions are posted by signage on the highways. The signs on 97 here going north are just past the airport, I have no idea where the signs are going south from Kelowna or if there are any. So you can legally drive around town with whatever tires you like, but you can't go to Winfield unless you have M+S or a snowflake (or both).

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”