Ban IMPARK

Home of the traffic rant.
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Ban IMPARK

Post by Monsterdriver »

Should the banning of "Impark" from within the city limits of Kelowna be a an election issue?
Stupid or Ugly; you need to decide, you can't be both
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ban IMPARK

Post by The Green Barbarian »

how do you ban them? They own the property you are parking on. If you don't want to support them, don't park on their lots.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

The Green Barbarian wrote:how do you ban them? They own the property you are parking on. If you don't want to support them, don't park on their lots.

No they don't, they are under contract by the city of Kelowna and other companies and departments.. At least they were the last I heard, maybe I need to be corrected.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

City parking lots are managed by Impark: http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDF ... _FINAL.pdf
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

Who are they contracted to?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The property owner.

In fact in a lot of cases they don't charge the property owner anything to administer the parking lot. All the parking fees go to the owner. They make there money, fining those who don't pay or don't pay enough. They even get a bonus for writing up violation tickets.

That deal, of course varies depending on the lot.

I've even heard of Impark impounding a vehicle because it is found again on property they manage and the owner hasn't paid a previous fine. Parking in a private lot is the wild wild west.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is a map of Impark lots: https://lots.impark.com/IMP/en?latlng=4 ... sr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=232997406
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

I have never been ticketed by them, but I have heard friends remark that they are like the mafia. Have never heard a good thing about them, and that is in comparison to other ticketing agencies, not because someone got a ticket.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Monsterdriver wrote:I have never been ticketed by them, but I have heard friends remark that they are like the mafia. Have never heard a good thing about them, and that is in comparison to other ticketing agencies, not because someone got a ticket.

I have no personal knowledge to anything about Impark, since I've never had to use any of parking lots or parkade.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You will notice that on the city web page, you can pay City parking tickets at the Impark office on Leon Ave. If they weren't contracted by the City, why can parking tickets be paid at their office?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:City parking lots are managed by Impark: http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDF ... _FINAL.pdf

If you open the link above^^ and read it you would find this:
All City owned parking lots are operated by Kelowna Parking (managed by Impark)
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

Even Marketplace portrays them towards the unethical side.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

kgcayenne wrote:You will notice that on the city web page, you can pay City parking tickets at the Impark office on Leon Ave. If they weren't contracted by the City, why can parking tickets be paid at their office?

I don't see where anyone said they (Impark) weren't contracted to the City of Kelowna to manage city parking lots. They don't have any involvement in policing on street parking, if that's what you are suggesting.

I imagine they get either of small commission for receiving on street parking fines they collect for the city or it was, in some way, part of the agreement to get the lucrative parking management contract for city owned parking lots.

Parking enforcement be it private/city owned lots or on street is always a contentious business.

It's made far worse when the purpose of the parking is to seek medical care or visit someone who is receiving same.

The entire situation is completely out of control when a medical facility like Kelowna's Regional Hospital has insufficient space for the needs of complex.

Penticton Hospital started pay parking in their lot a few years ago. There was a hue and cry over the issue, but the result was that employee didn't park there. Now, even though you have to pay a few dollars (the big inconvenience is buying an allotted time, not having a clue how long you will be there) there is generally always room to park.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

A little over a year ago, I spent three weeks visiting KGH each and every day. I had absolutely no issue finding parking---not even once. Although I did have to walk up & down the stairs in the parkade a couple of times because it was very busy and everything on the first couple of tiers was either reserved or taken, but closer to the top there was lots of parking. Has it changed that much in a year?

Expecting free parking in this day and age is unreasonable.
Expecting professionalism from companies entrusted with dealing with the public is perfectly reasonable.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

kgcayenne wrote:A little over a year ago, I spent three weeks visiting KGH each and every day. I had absolutely no issue finding parking---not even once. Although I did have to walk up & down the stairs in the parkade a couple of times because it was very busy and everything on the first couple of tiers was either reserved or taken, but closer to the top there was lots of parking. Has it changed that much in a year?

Expecting free parking in this day and age is unreasonable.
Expecting professionalism from companies entrusted with dealing with the public is perfectly reasonable.

Just FYI the first two levels in the parkade are for visitor parking only. The remaining levels are for STAFF ONLY.

So if you were parking on any of the upper levels you were parking in staff only parking.

Consider yourself lucky you did not get a ticket.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”