Questions for local sports car guys?

Home of the traffic rant.
brounal
Board Meister

Questions for local sports car guys?

Post by brounal »

I have several sports cars and have a few questions. I am looking for a few places where I can "exercise" my cars. Wink wink say no more..

I am mostly interested in some nice curvy scenic roads but also would like the location of a few straight and level roads. The less traffic on these roads the better. Also should be good condition roads paved of course, double lane is even better .
And for the straight level roads should be at least 1/8 to 1/4 mile long.

I may want to run a few performance tests on my vehicles on the straight level road.

Would appreciate if some of you car guys would private message me with some good possible locations.
Where I am from back in Saskatchewan it was very easy to find flat level roads with very low traffic especially on Sunday mornings. But here seems to be a lot harder to find roads like that.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Questions for local sports car guys ?

Post by phasyluck »

You'll get nabbed almost anywhere you go.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

phasyluck wrote:You'll get nabbed almost anywhere you go.

Sure! They don't seem to be able to stop anything the way people drive these days!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Lot's of places, you're good to go.
Sure do love Rutland!!
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Thunder is closed for the season. Ashcroft might not open again. Mission is pretty far away like 3 hours.
That area 27 or whatever is well a ways off .

I am talking about a nice straight level deserted road not that far from town. As said feel free to pm me with the locations . Got to be a few people out there that test and tune a bit.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

Be aware of, and have some empathy for, various animals that are common on the roads here, particularly at night, or in the early morning (your comment on Sunday mornings).

On any given road here, everything from dogs, cats, squirrels, coyotes...to deer, bears, moose can be on the road. I myself recently had a very close encounter with a moose near the airport.

I have often had sports/sporty cars, and currently have a sporty car that is quite fast. However, I never come close to pushing the envelope of it - unless at the track, because I don't believe there is a truly safe place to do it here, without risking the lives of animals. Sure, 99 times out of 100, you won't have an encounter, but it does happen. They do not deserve death or injury - only to live a life of suffering and eventual death, just so I can get my kicks.

This is not to mention the unlikely, but also possible, random pedestrian/vehicle encounter where you least expect it. Example: a good friend - and about as nice a young man as one could possibly imagine - was killed here out in East Kelowna as he came around the corner on a dirt road on his dirtbike at high speed, some people in the opposite direction had the same idea in their car....they hit head on.

You sound like a person who is trying to be somewhat responsible. My advice: be a decent and mature human being, save the real stuff for the track.... it won't kill you to wait, but it may kill something else if you don't.

It certainly would be nice to have more opportunities in the Okanagan.....a great track....or even if the city opened up a runway once in a while for this kind of activity.
Dented

Post by Dented »

They'res a road somewhere out a little ways going out towards Armstrong (forgot the name i'll google n update if I can).

Zero traffic and cops lots of turns and stuff pretty much empty. Go nuts.
Dented

Post by Dented »

dcipher wrote:Be aware of, and have some empathy for, various animals that are common on the roads here, particularly at night, or in the early morning (your comment on Sunday mornings).

On any given road here, everything from dogs, cats, squirrels, coyotes...to deer, bears, moose can be on the road. I myself recently had a very close encounter with a moose near the airport.

I have often had sports/sporty cars, and currently have a sporty car that is quite fast. However, I never come close to pushing the envelope of it - unless at the track, because I don't believe there is a truly safe place to do it here, without risking the lives of animals. Sure, 99 times out of 100, you won't have an encounter, but it does happen. They do not deserve death or injury - only to live a life of suffering and eventual death, just so I can get my kicks.

This is not to mention the unlikely, but also possible, random pedestrian/vehicle encounter where you least expect it. Example: a good friend - and about as nice a young man as one could possibly imagine - was killed here out in East Kelowna as he came around the corner on a dirt road on his dirtbike at high speed, some people in the opposite direction had the same idea in their car....they hit head on.

You sound like a person who is trying to be somewhat responsible. My advice: be a decent and mature human being, save the real stuff for the track.... it won't kill you to wait, but it may kill something else if you don't.

It certainly would be nice to have more opportunities in the Okanagan.....a great track....or even if the city opened up a runway once in a while for this kind of activity.
just animals whocares.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Dented wrote:just animals whocares.

I do. Especially considering I've lost pets to traffic.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Obvious answer that gets me ousted is WESTSIDE ROAD!!! lol
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Slightly different subject but still on topic re the thread....how do these new rules re M&S tires affect local sport cars? (I don't own one, so don't know what kind of tires most folks run, but I wouldn't think that cars like Corvettes or Porsches would be driven much in winter, thus do they still make summer only type tires? Saw on the news today where the Govt will overlook the M&S rule for motorcycles but not sure about sports cars.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Unfortunately the Auto-X is over for the season:

http://www.obcc.ca/autocross.htm

So really there is no outlet for this, which really sucks because there are a ton of us that just love cars and driving fast... with nowhere to do it.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The real problem in my opinion is that it is far too easy to get a drivers licence in BC. Driving and understanding the limits of the handling of your car and your own skill level is just as important as the "rules of the road". The idea being if you keep to the speed limit you will will be "safe". Of course, all bets are off when there is ice or loose gravel on the road.
Driving tests should include a more comprehensive test of skills such as driving on slick surfaces, accident avoidance, courtesy to other drivers, ie. taking your turn in correct sequence at a 4 way stop, when not to overtake other drivers and so on.
Having a convenient place to practice driving skills (not just drag racing) in the Okanagan would be a real bonus however the liability involved is the kicker. About the best we can do now is to get out on a track on a frozen lake and learn how to handle a a car in slick conditions.
If you want to challenge yourself a bit, drive Westside Road from Kelowna to Vernon at the posted speed limit.
Waste not
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Grandan wrote:Driving tests should include a more comprehensive test of skills such as driving on slick surfaces, accident avoidance, courtesy to other drivers, ie. taking your turn in correct sequence at a 4 way stop, when not to overtake other drivers and so on.

The problem is not testing, the problem lies in teaching!

Parents that teach these skills produce better drivers. Parents that teach just enough to pass the test don't. Those parents should send their kids to driver training programs. I was fortunate enough to be taught by a former race-car driver, so I know more than just the rules of the road....

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”