People have no clue

Home of the traffic rant.
Dave_1963
Banned

People have no clue

Post by Dave_1963 »

OK, this morning. 10:47 A.M. Corner of Cooper and 97. You driving a silver new SUV (sorry, you were so close I could not tell the make/model), me driving a 2-tone light tan color 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88. I'm turning north towards Winfield (Right from Cooper onto 97), waiting for a break in the traffic in the HOV lane to turn right. You, about 100 feet before Cooper, heading north on 97 in the right hand lane (not HOV). I saw you just before you went through the intersection of Cooper/97 when you were in the right lane. My understanding of the rules of the road is one is not allowed to change lanes while going through an intersection, and also, one is supposed to signal their intent to change lanes in advance to let other drivers know your intentions. I guess my ESP was not working that well this morning as I had no idea you would change lanes in the middle of an intersection without signalling. I pulled out when the HOV lane was clear, but your vehicle had magically changed lanes in the intersection and ended up in my lane where I had the right of way as the lane I was turning into was clear. Had you signalled before the intersection, I would have known your intent, and I would not have pulled onto the highway. ( Why did you honk and get mad at me? You are the one that made the mistakes). After your anger had subsided, you continued on, changing lanes without signalling, finally turning down the road to Superstore (without signalling) at a high rate of speed. I suggest sir, you take a refresher course on the rules of the road so you do not make the same mistake twice.

Oh yeah, the other thing drivers do that really irks me is: When turning right or left onto a multilane road, you are supposed to turn into the lane nearest you (you turn left, you turn into the left lane, turn right, right lane). I am shocked that at least 15-20 times a day, I see people turning left directly into the right-hand lane or turning right directly into the left lane. (Some) people have no clue.....how to drive.
rookie314
Übergod

Re: People have no clue...

Post by rookie314 »

You didn't have the right of way. You have a yield sign and have to yield way to approaching traffic. Are you not supposed to change lanes in an intersection? Yes, but it's not illegal. If they had hit you, you would have had a hard time convincing ICBC that it wasn't your fault. As for signalling, this is Kelowna and the last thing I would ever trust is someone signalling or not.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

OP I hear ya, imo the motor vehicle act should be updated to add no lane changes within intersection.

Oh yes that un-used lever on left side of steering column far to many drivers don't use it. Unfortunately some of those who do all of a sudden change there minds, but don't turn it off or they turn it on 2 blocks before they actual turn.

I need my booster shot of ESP. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

rookie314 wrote:You didn't have the right of way. You have a yield sign and have to yield way to approaching traffic. Are you not supposed to change lanes in an intersection? Yes, but it's not illegal. If they had hit you, you would have had a hard time convincing ICBC that it wasn't your fault. As for signalling, this is Kelowna and the last thing I would ever trust is someone signalling or not.

How does that work? He yielded correctly and pulled into the HOV lane because it was empty. What did he do wrong? The driver changing lanes last minute in the intersection without signals was clearly in the wrong. If your theory is correct when does he have the right to pull out?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I saw three cars behind me skip over two lanes turning left from Ethel onto the highway. Yes, they turned left into the HOV lane---all three of them.

How about also telling stoopit people not to use parking stalls as right turn lanes. I had one today try to pass me on the right using a parking stall---while I was preparing to turn right.

People need a slap upside the head.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

rookie314 wrote:You didn't have the right of way. You have a yield sign and have to yield way to approaching traffic. Are you not supposed to change lanes in an intersection? Yes, but it's not illegal. If they had hit you, you would have had a hard time convincing ICBC that it wasn't your fault. As for signalling, this is Kelowna and the last thing I would ever trust is someone signalling or not.

Yes, I had a yield sign, but the SUV driver was in a different lane, so he was NOT approaching traffic as he was in a different lane than the one I intended to pull into., NOT signalling and changing lanes in an intersection when he could plainly see my car waiting to turn? If there is no traffic coming in my direction IN MY LANE, then I have the right to pull out without thinking some idiot would change lanes into MY lane 2 seconds (the time it took to look right for pedestrians/cyclists before pulling out).
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

And to add that many intersections have solid white lines immediately before them. These lines are solid so you are NOT supposed to be crossing into another lane right before the intersection. That being the case is it not also correct that changing lanes IN the intersection is also wrong, otherwise what is the point of the solid before?
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

Glad to see there are still drivers out there who actually know the rules of the road! Right on people, keep up the good driving! Too bad people like the idiot driving the SUV are responsible for our high ICBC rates. I started reading the drivers education manual when I was 12 preparing for my 16th birthday. By the time I was 16, I knew that book inside-out, upside down, and backwards. Never had an accident or ticket, and my drivers abstract is 100% clean. I take pride in my driving....too bad some others don't!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”