LED Lights gotta GO!

Home of the traffic rant.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

LED Lights gotta GO!

Post by baconbits »

These have got to be banned, they are probably the most dangerous things on the road when driving at night. Besides being completely blinded, it also causes road rage.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: LED Lights gotta GO!

Post by Captain Awesome »

Weird.

Never had problems with them. Perhaps it's not the lights, it's someone's rage issues.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

mite wanna get your eyes checked I think light sensitivity is one of the signs of the start of cataracts
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Are you thinking of LEDs, or HIDs in halogen housings. Cause those ones grind my gears.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Appears to be an age thing. I just wish people would save thier fog lights for when its foggy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1771460/

The older driver is visually disadvantaged. Almost all self reported and clinical measures of visual function decline with ageing.73,88–91 Eye disorders increase this problem, and their prevalence also increases with ageing.88,92,93 Even when high contrast visual acuity is normal, visual performance decreases with increasing age on most other sensory tests, including visual field, glare recovery time, stereopsis, contrast sensitivity, and low contrast visual acuity with and without glare.72,89–91

The increased brightness of HID headlights is an advantage for the older drivers who use them. They enable owners to see farther down straight roads, providing them with more time to respond to potential problems. Conversely, disability glare and photostress recovery time increase with glare source
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Some LED tail/brake and rear signal lights are pretty bright when you're behind them at a red light. Those LED bars on some trucks I've seen are ridiculously bright.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Gilchy wrote:Are you thinking of LEDs, or HIDs in halogen housings. Cause those ones grind my gears.

But...but... racecar!
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Gilchy wrote:Are you thinking of LEDs, or HIDs in halogen housings. Cause those ones grind my gears.

So true. HID's in halogen reflectors are the problem and are usually a bush league attempt for the sake of vanity. LED's can be retrofitted if the proper design is used for a particular reflector. LED's are already replacing the old tech halogen which will be dinosaurs in the near future. More light, longer life, and lower electrical draw, what's not to like :)
I birn quil I se
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

If my car was worth the retrofit I would do it in a heartbeat. I like lots of light at night!
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

LED's or HID's are fine when properly aimed. Problem is many retrofit kits are crap and have poor cut offs and the expensive higher end ones don't matter if they're poorly installed.
Again aux fog lights (low wide coverage white or amber activated on only low beam) or driving lights (white aimed more like oem) when properly installed and aimed aren't a problem.
If you stare at any light it will bug you, if properly installed - fog lights won't glare on wet pavement. I like fogs as it provide better coverage over shoulders for pedestrians or deer etc.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It would actually help, though if more drivers had consideration and dimmed there darned lights!
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

LED's have absolutely nothing to do with it. First, there is an overwhelming trend of people retrofitting HID's into halogen housings which is about the dumbest possible thing you can do. I really wish police would take that one more seriously as there's no excuse for it and it's quite prevalent.

Secondly you've got aftermarket projectors (and I say aftermarket because stock are aimed properly from the factory and rarely adjusted too high) aimed at the sky and projectors are extremely bright but were designed to be 100% out of the eyes of oncoming drivers save for on hills/crests.

Lastly is lightbars that are designed for rural/offroad use yet people feel the need to use them in town. Please remember these are floodlights and blind everyone in-front of you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”