This is what happens to left lane blockers in Kelowna!

Home of the traffic rant.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: This is what happens to left lane blockers in Kelowna!

Post by Hmmm »

The fact is you cannot speed from black mountain through to west kelowna and save much time at all. You just can't through this town quickly while speeding. I'm not talking 10k over either.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I love it when I drive halfway across town, Kelowna, Vernon, wherever, following some idiot speeding, jumping lanes, tailgating and I end up there at the same time driving the speed limit all the way. I have even passed them when they got trapped in the wrong lane behind some slow traffic. They are such fools and extremely dangerous to boot. It's so funny to watch them rush light to light only to have to hit the brakes and sit there waiting for the lights to change.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Funny others can make it through a light going just a smidge over the limit while the others have to wait.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

A million years ago when I got my drivers license the rule at that time was to stay right on open highways except to pass, but within city limits the left lane is the main thoroughfare to allow the right lane to be open as possible for cars entering or exiting side streets or avenues, except when there is three lanes, then the centre lane is the main thoroughfare. It was in the book and part of the test...
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Dizzy1 wrote:

I love how people always assume that they'll catch up to a "speeding" car at the next light. Doesn't always happen that way.[/quote]

I drive to Vernon and back every day and you always catch the speeder
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rookie314 wrote:

Yeah, no you don't. If we left the airport at the same time and I'm doing 10km/h more I can guarantee you that I'll be going past Swan Lake by the time you hit hospital hill.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

rookie314 wrote:

Dizzy1 wrote:Yeah, no you don't. If we left the airport at the same time and I'm doing 10km/h more I can guarantee you that I'll be going past Swan Lake by the time you hit hospital hill.

If the speeder is also going to vernon, you will always catch them. They may be already at their destination doing their tasks, but you will have caught up to them.
You and 71 others Like this post
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:Yeah, no you don't. If we left the airport at the same time and I'm doing 10km/h more I can guarantee you that I'll be going past Swan Lake by the time you hit hospital hill.

The difference between 90kph and 100kph from the airport to Vernon Jubliee Hospital is 3 minutes. Don't believe me? Use google, it does all the hard bits for you. If you drop both those points into Google Maps, you will find that the airport to the hospital is 43.7 KM. You can then just use the following in google search:

43.7 KM / 90 KPH = 31.53 minutes
43.7 KM / 90 KPH = 28.38 minutes

That's a different of 3.15 minutes.

The distance from VJH to Swan Lake is 9KM. At 90KPH, it will take you 6 minutes to make that journey. Through town. I'm pretty sure you're (a) embellishing, and (b) certainly not advocating doing freeway speeds through downtown Vernon.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:The difference between 90kph and 100kph from the airport to Vernon Jubliee Hospital is 3 minutes. Don't believe me? Use google, it does all the hard bits for you. If you drop both those points into Google Maps, you will find that the airport to the hospital is 43.7 KM. You can then just use the following in google search:

43.7 KM / 90 KPH = 31.53 minutes
43.7 KM / 90 KPH = 28.38 minutes

That's a different of 3.15 minutes.

The distance from VJH to Swan Lake is 9KM. At 90KPH, it will take you 6 minutes to make that journey. Through town. I'm pretty sure you're (a) embellishing, and (b) certainly not advocating doing freeway speeds through downtown Vernon.

I've done the math, thanks :) Fact remains, you won't catch up.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

MattJ wrote:No, you would lose. The ticket would be for "impeding traffic", which is what you are doing and your argument in court would be groundless.

I know you have good intentions with your way of thinking but you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the law and driving. If you want to prove everyone wrong, find an instance where someone was given a ticket for impeding traffic while they were driving normally and going the speed limit. These are all public records and if one existed you could easily find it....but I'll save you the time, it doesn't exist.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

MattJ wrote:No, you would lose. The ticket would be for "impeding traffic", which is what you are doing and your argument in court would be groundless.

Danielson99 wrote:I know you have good intentions with your way of thinking but you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the law and driving. If you want to prove everyone wrong, find an instance where someone was given a ticket for impeding traffic while they were driving normally and going the speed limit. These are all public records and if one existed you could easily find it....but I'll save you the time, it doesn't exist.

This is the closest that exists in BC

Slow driving

145 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer.

And no, so long as you are at or near the speed limit, you'll never see that section written.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Two men have been charged with dangerous driving after a serious crash last December in the Lower Mainland.
Adam Shyat, 27, and Joshua Dally, 31, were the alleged drivers of a 2007 Lamborghini Murcielago and a 2013 Dodge Viper that crashed during what police are calling a street race on Dec. 22 near Highway 99 and 32nd Avenue in Surrey.

Police say witnesses described the two vehicles travelling at excessive speeds prior to the crash.

“Surrey RCMP would like to thank the public for their assistance in helping advance this investigation,” says Surrey RCMP Sgt. Dale Carr. “Luckily, no one was seriously injured. However, the consequences of such a high-speed collision on a major arterial roadway in our city could have been catastrophic.”

Police believe the vehicles reached speeds of up to 157 km/h.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/135490/ ... treet-race
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

It was nice traveling from Winfield to Kelowna this morning and while passing cars on the right, some idiot starts tailgating me in an attempt to get me to move over. Excuse me, but when you're clearly passing cars on the right why should I move again? You in the black pickup are STUPID!
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

Police believe the vehicles reached speeds of up to 157 km/h.

So.....these two cars were travelling at less than 100 miles per hour.......pretty much the speed on HWY-1 through the Fraser Valley. Not saying that doing 50km/h over is right......just don't see the point in trying to emphasize the speed the cars were going when poor driving was more to blame for them crashing.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

maxx wrote:So.....these two cars were travelling at less than 100 miles per hour.......pretty much the speed on HWY-1 through the Fraser Valley. Not saying that doing 50km/h over is right......just don't see the point in trying to emphasize the speed the cars were going when poor driving was more to blame for them crashing.

"So.....these two cars were travelling at less than 100 miles per hour.......pretty much the speed on HWY-1 through the Fraser Valley." ?

"pretty much the speed on HWY-1" ?

100 MPH = 161 KPH

What are you talking about ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”