Speeders on our highways.

Home of the traffic rant.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Speeders on our highways.

Post by the quadguy »

Someone mentioned on this forum,That our highway speeds should be increased. I will not address that poor misguided soul directly. But they did say we should have speed limits like the 401 in Ontario had I believe it was 120 or some such speed. They have since dropped the speed limit to 100 kliks for it's entire length to stop the carnage, And it has helped. I would also like to address the road rage issue,Which apparently is so common amoung speeders, If someone ahead of you is doing the posted speed limit ,Or even a couple kliks over, Why on earth would any rational thinking human being get angry at them?? Do they feel they have the right to speed down the highway because the speed limits do not apply to them. The term road rage may be caused because some childish folks think that they have a right to speed past those doing the speed limit, I would hazard to say if you are often afflicted by this problem ,That you should go directly back to driving school. Although I bet you have never been,. You may consider stopping to see a shrink on the way .You want to share the highway with others? or do you feel it is yours alone? Then you should have your license suspended, Although eventually that will happen. But in the mean time please try not to put other lives at stake because of your inability to follow the rules.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Re: Speeders on our highways.

Post by LiamHaddock »

people only get mad if you hog the fast lane and dont move over. its called common courtesy you want to drive slower let people pass you. speed limits are artificially to low on most roads in BC. Its a cash grab. If your going slow and the majority of other drivers on the road are going faster, you become the hazzard on the road. I suggest you watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

I watched the video and anyone who thinks our speed limits are too low has a real serious problem, The 401 as i mentioned before tried it. IT didn't work they killed far to many and dropped the limit to 100 kliks, In my book trying it on the busiest highway in the world is good enough for me, And as i stated if you are one of those who must always speed on our roads, GO BACK to driving school. If you suffer from road rage go see a shrink. Ya need help.! Because one of theses days you are going to wish you were not speeding.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LiamHaddock wrote:people only get mad if you hog the fast lane and dont move over.

Where do you drive? They get mad no matter how many lanes there are.

The only thing that will ever fix this problem will be self driving cars. Can't wait.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

On that same note, Our speed limits have been set ,in large by reaction times of drivers. ,Boy 30 ks in a school zone must drive you road rage entusiasts nuts. Many people drive too fast on our highways and the deaths each year on BCs highways confirms this ,What part don't you speed freaks understand,Whether right wrong or indifferent speed limits are meant to be followed,And to liamhaddock,, There IS NO SUCH THING AS A FAST LANE they are BOTH the same speed limit. Why don't most people know this? it is not a hard concept to grasp, Unless of course because of your exceptional driving abilities speed limits do not apply to you.Just askin. And as far as slower drivers DOING THE SPEED limit ,they do not cause road rage, Immature childish drivers suffer from road rage,They are the cause themselves,Just like a 2 year old throwin a tantrum.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

if you agree with the video or not, it doesnt matter, differences of opinions are aloud, just because raising the speed on one highway has had negative effects does not mean all other speed limits are correct, on many highways the opposite has occured when raising the speed limit, accidents go down. Lets agree to disagree on that fact for a moment. It still does not change the fact that by not moving over to let someone pass, you are causing more congestion, causing people to get more frustrated on the road, usually causing them to speed past you faster than they would have if you were just polite and moved over. At the end of the day speeders are going to speed and slow drivers are going to drive slow, no one will change that as people who speed will not change regardless of fines, impoundment ect. So really people should take a harm reduction approach and be kind to other drivers on the road and not ride people's bumper, allow people to merge, change lanes and pass you if they feel you are going to slow. By "self policing" other drivers you are causing them to drive even more aggressive than normal and you become part of the problem, not the solution.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

Please ,show me one highway where accidents have been reduced by raising speed limits.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Bsuds wrote:
Where do you drive? They get mad no matter how many lanes there are.

The only thing that will ever fix this problem will be self driving cars. Can't wait.

Ive lived all over canada, Im sure drivers get mad about other issues, but normally a speeder just wants to get down the highway so if you move over and let them, I dont see why they would still be mad at you, unless you took forever to change lanes. but there are just plain *bleep* out there so im sure some people get mad for no reason. personally I just move over if someone is coming up faster on my bumper than I am driving. But thats just me. And I agree self driving cars will be nice, hopefully they will be able to maintain the speed limit at least unlike so many old farts on the road. Also self driving cars should be safer and if so hopefully speed limits will be raised as there will be no "user error" to account for.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

as an example I drive every day into Kelowna from winfield I can count on one hand over the last month drivers that were driving too slow the odd one may have been 5 ks under the 90 speed limit ,but saw hundreds flying by me at 120,130. and some with a sign saying Baby on board,Now that really takes brains. Speeders are the reason we are killing so many on our roadways, I quess a person who loves to speed has to be in a crash to understand. I would sooner let the speeders go and watch them kill themselves then risk it myself. There are already way too many drivers on the road who do not know what speed limits are for too bad too sad. That is why I stated people who suffer from road rage MUST visit a shrink ASAP. you are the menace on the roads I wonder ,do they scream ,and holler at mother nature if she pisses them of with bad weather so they have to slow down, Or just other drivers who impede their race track antics,
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

the quadguy wrote:as an example I drive every day into Kelowna from winfield I can count on one hand over the last month drivers that were driving too slow the odd one may have been 5 ks under the 90 speed limit ,but saw hundreds flying by me at 120,130. and some with a sign saying Baby on board,Now that really takes brains. Speeders are the reason we are killing so many on our roadways, I quess a person who loves to speed has to be in a crash to understand. I would sooner let the speeders go and watch them kill themselves then risk it myself. There are already way too many drivers on the road who do not know what speed limits are for too bad too sad. That is why I stated people who suffer from road rage MUST visit a shrink ASAP. you are the menace on the roads I wonder ,do they scream ,and holler at mother nature if she pisses them of with bad weather so they have to slow down, Or just other drivers who impede their race track antics,

Well im glad to here you are at least letting people pass you and not causing the situation to get worse by agitating the speeder and causing them to drive even more aggressively. 120km on the hwy from kelowna to vernon is a reasonable speed in most conditions in my opinion. Road rage is very different than speeders by the way. I dont agree with road rage, just because your speeding doesnt mean your road raging. I also dont agree though that drivers should escalate and encourage road rage by not being polite and letting others pass. It sounds like you take the right approach in my opinion though. There are plenty of "crazy" drivers on the road, its best to just let them pass...
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

the quadguy wrote:Please ,show me one highway where accidents have been reduced by raising speed limits.

I didn't notice your response earlier I'm not sure of highways in North America that this is the case as I haven't seen an article on one yet in North America. But a recent 2 yr study in Denmark showed that faster speed limit resulted in less accidents

http://recombu.com/cars/article/increas ... -accidents
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Its all about appropriate speed for conditions at the end of the day, oh and of course having a suitably equipped vehicle.
120KM/HR is just about 75 miles an hour which is really not that fast if you come from Germany or UK for example, however it is clear to me that some people fail to recognize when conditions deteriorate and continue to drive at well above the posted limits.
Driving at 100 on a clear dry day in August is for the most part perfectly safe on a major highway but doing the same speed on highway 33 out towards Big White in mid winter (for example) is a recipe for disaster yet the limit is now 100 on that stretch so some misguided individuals believe they can still do it.
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

Speaking of Hwy 33, I don't know why they made it a 1oo km with all the driveways, school bus stops, mail boxes, garbage pick up etc. That has to be one of the most dumbest ideas yet, but just after the small area of Joe Rich back down to 90.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the quadguy wrote:Please ,show me one highway where accidents have been reduced by raising speed limits.

http://recombu.com/cars/article/increas ... -accidents
http://missoulian.com/news/local/utah-r ... efd58.html
The Autobahn has is one of the safest roadways in the world and only accounts for a smaller percentage of fatalities compared to other German rural roadways.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:The Autobahn has is one of the safest roadways in the world and only accounts for a smaller percentage of fatalities compared to other German rural roadways.

Everybody likes to point to "The Autobahn" whenever the subject of speed and highway design comes up. So - what roadways in BC do you feel need to have their limits increase, and to what extent? How do you feel those roadways compare to "The Autobahn" (I quote it because "The Autobahn" is not a single road, just like "The Highway" isn't one in BC, and "The Autobahn" doesn't all have unrestricted speed limits).

What is it about the Autobahnen that makes them so safe? Is it simply speed? Are our highways capable of supporting that speed? Are you suggesting that the likes of Harvey should be compared to this road network? Hwy 5? Hwy 33?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”