Speeders on our highways.

Home of the traffic rant.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Speeders on our highways.

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:
Everybody likes to point to "The Autobahn" whenever the subject of speed and highway design comes up. So - what roadways in BC do you feel need to have their limits increase, and to what extent? How do you feel those roadways compare to "The Autobahn" (I quote it because "The Autobahn" is not a single road, just like "The Highway" isn't one in BC, and "The Autobahn" doesn't all have unrestricted speed limits).

What is it about the Autobahnen that makes them so safe? Is it simply speed? Are our highways capable of supporting that speed? Are you suggesting that the likes of Harvey should be compared to this road network? Hwy 5? Hwy 33?

I love how argumentative people get as soon as you mention the Autobahn LOL! Did I suggest any of the above? No. I answered a question and that question was ...

the quadguy wrote:Please ,show me one highway where accidents have been reduced by raising speed limits.

Fact ... several highways in the US have had a reduction in the number of accidents after they raised the speedlimit.

Fact ... compared to other stretches of rural highways/roadways in Germany, the Autobahn has a much higher safety record.

Do I know why that is? Absolutely, better than most people on this forum and I've discussed it countless times on these forums. But it doesn't change my response to the question.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:Fact ... compared to other stretches of rural highways/roadways in Germany, the Autobahn has a much higher safety record.

Do I know why that is? Absolutely

So then why is it?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:So then why is it?

Search my posts on the subject.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:Search my posts on the subject.

You talk a lot, and the search on the forum isn't really that intelligent. I had also asked other questions which I'm rather certain you wouldn't have answered. The most interesting one for me is - which roadways in BC do you think that the speed limits should be raised, and to what degree should they be raised?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:You talk a lot,

And you don't listen enough, so I'll repeat. A poster asked a question, and the question was ...
the quadguy wrote:Please ,show me one highway where accidents have been reduced by raising speed limits.

... and this was my response ...
Dizzy1 wrote:http://recombu.com/cars/article/increasing-speed-limit-decreased-number-of-road-accidents
http://missoulian.com/news/local/utah-r ... efd58.html
The Autobahn has is one of the safest roadways in the world and only accounts for a smaller percentage of fatalities compared to other German rural roadways.

A direct question and a direct answer.

36Drew wrote:and the search on the forum isn't really that intelligent.

Its only intelligent as the user ... I managed to find the relative posts in a matter of seconds.
36Drew wrote:I had also asked other questions which I'm rather certain you wouldn't have answered.

Why should I? They were irrelevant to my original post.

36Drew wrote:The most interesting one for me is - which roadways in BC do you think that the speed limits should be raised, and to what degree should they be raised?

Did I say that I think they should be raised?

Sorry Drew, I'm not about to get into another *bleep* debate about speed and BC drivers ... I just finished one and that's enough for awhile. So I will repeat one more time for you, a poster asked a question and I replied ... point - end - stop.
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

Speed by definition is the rate at which something can move. After driving on the inadequate roads here in the Okanagan and throughout the world "the rate at which something can move" is very different to every single driver. There are people on our roads that are completely petrified to travel any where close to the posted speed on some highways while others can easily travel safely at 10 or 20 k higher. The problem arises when you have these 2 drivers on the same road at the same time. One is getting angrier that this idiot can't go the speed while the other is upset at the jerk riding his bumper.

If people would only be courteous to each other and let the faster people go by and the slow drivers keep right. Why is this so hard of a concept for some to grasp? Just today again going down Drought hill this older lady was in the left lane going 60 km in a 90 zone. Some of us passed her on the right lane by the pond but at least 12 cars got stuck behind her. I drove the limit to the first light slowing down to to posted 70 and in my mirror, stopped at the light at the Petrocan she finally rounded the corner on Drought with a snake of cars behind her. She either needs to go to driving school or not drive. She will cause way more accidents than the guy doing 90 or even 100 on 97 on the Westside. I am sorry but that is the reality.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rotti wrote:Why is this so hard of a concept for some to grasp?

That's the million dollar question.

Cue in the "the speed limit is la dee da so where I want to drive is irrelevant because the speed limit is la dee da" crowd.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

curious if the raised speed limit on the coquihalla has had any effect. I assume it did not change a thing as I used to get passed like i was standing still and I drove 10k over the old limit.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

rotti wrote:Speed by definition is the rate at which something can move. After driving on the inadequate roads here in the Okanagan and throughout the world "the rate at which something can move" is very different to every single driver. There are people on our roads that are completely petrified to travel any where close to the posted speed on some highways while others can easily travel safely at 10 or 20 k higher. The problem arises when you have these 2 drivers on the same road at the same time. One is getting angrier that this idiot can't go the speed while the other is upset at the jerk riding his bumper.

If people would only be courteous to each other and let the faster people go by and the slow drivers keep right. Why is this so hard of a concept for some to grasp? Just today again going down Drought hill this older lady was in the left lane going 60 km in a 90 zone. Some of us passed her on the right lane by the pond but at least 12 cars got stuck behind her. I drove the limit to the first light slowing down to to posted 70 and in my mirror, stopped at the light at the Petrocan she finally rounded the corner on Drought with a snake of cars behind her. She either needs to go to driving school or not drive. She will cause way more accidents than the guy doing 90 or even 100 on 97 on the Westside. I am sorry but that is the reality.

Amen to that.

Regarding earlier talk about the 401 - that's a dumb comparison to anything we have in BC, for a few reasons. lol I have driven this stretch many, many times:

A far cry from 97 or 33. (although most people still drive between 110 and 130 on the 401)
Your bias suits you.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

rotti wrote:Speed by definition is the rate at which something can move.

Nope. Speed (Velocity) is the rate something IS moving.

Speed describes only how fast an object is moving, whereas velocity gives both how fast and in what direction the object is moving

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

mitchbaywatch wrote:Speaking of Hwy 33, I don't know why they made it a 1oo km with all the driveways, school bus stops, mail boxes, garbage pick up etc. That has to be one of the most dumbest ideas yet, but just after the small area of Joe Rich back down to 90.

It's funny but i haven't noticed as many "racers" heading up and back from Big White so far this season, in fact since they have raised the limit it appears people have slowed. In both directions today it was wet, no ice, no snow yet the average speed was 80km/hr
Maybe its not been covered in enough snow and ice yet.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

mitchbaywatch wrote:Speaking of Hwy 33, I don't know why they made it a 1oo km with all the driveways, school bus stops, mail boxes, garbage pick up etc. That has to be one of the most dumbest ideas yet, but just after the small area of Joe Rich back down to 90.

dodgerdodge wrote:It's funny but i haven't noticed as many "racers" heading up and back from Big White so far this season, in fact since they have raised the limit it appears people have slowed. In both directions today it was wet, no ice, no snow yet the average speed was 80km/hr
Maybe its not been covered in enough snow and ice yet.

Yep - it's been fine since the speed increase. As in, people are driving about the same as they did before, maybe just a touch faster on longer straightaways. I still get stuck behind people doing 80 on a regular basis. No worries. My fave is being stuck behind people doing ~85 down Walker Hill, who then maintain that speed thru the 60/school zone. That still hasn't changed, for sure. LOL
Your bias suits you.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Woodenhead wrote:Yep - it's been fine since the speed increase. As in, people are driving about the same as they did before, maybe just a touch faster on longer straightaways. I still get stuck behind people doing 80 on a regular basis. No worries. My fave is being stuck behind people doing ~85 down Walker Hill, who then maintain that speed thru the 60/school zone. That still hasn't changed, for sure. LOL

Yeah i am always careful through that 60 zone as 2 weeks running now there have been speed checks going up in the morning on that bit and i know they keep an eye on the down side too.
Its the same heading to the bridge from Westbank, the 80 km/hr drivers are still doing 80 over the bridge in the 60
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#133468

So maybe something that might work is a graduated speed limit on the highways that coincides with the licensing program.
If you have an "N" license then you must drive slower.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Bsuds wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-133468-3-.htm#133468

So maybe something that might work is a graduated speed limit on the highways that coincides with the licensing program.
If you have an "N" license then you must drive slower.

Waste of time, money and effort.

It would be almost impossible to enforce.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”