Parking and towing in Kelowna

Home of the traffic rant.
Sige
Übergod

Re: Parking and towing in Kelowna

Post by Sige »

Penticton Host wrote:Seriously, is your town so scary that it's a leap of faith to leave a car parked on the side of the road?
I saw about three intelligent posts here, then the *removed*. And reading other forums as I mentioned before, there are a ton of issues with enforcement.
I'd be in their computerized system showing no previous traffic offenses, so a warning or a ticket gets no argument from me. Towing me? Just a by-law person's version of job satisfaction.
And all the bla bla bla from you geniuses, go read the other posts relating to these topics, with newspaper links and drivers calling out the enforcers.
Some people here with 500, 1000, or even 11,000 posts, suggesting to me how I should run my life? LOL...

Yeah, you pretty much lost any empathy I had for you with that comment.

10 days in public without moving = abandoned car. You *did* get a warning, you just weren't there to see it. Suck it up, pay the fine and consider it an expensive lesson.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Penticton Host wrote:Seriously, is your town so scary that it's a leap of faith to leave a car parked on the side of the road?
I saw about three intelligent posts here, then *removed*. And reading other forums as I mentioned before, there are a ton of issues with enforcement.
I'd be in their computerized system showing no previous traffic offenses, so a warning or a ticket gets no argument from me. Towing me? Just a by-law person's version of job satisfaction.
And all the bla bla bla from you geniuses, go read the other posts relating to these topics, with newspaper links and drivers calling out the enforcers.
Some people here with 500, 1000, or even 11,000 posts, suggesting to me how I should run my life? LOL...

I gave you at least two intelligent posts. Word for word information on the bylaws you care so little about.
Penticton Host

Post by Penticton Host »

Oops, there were several intelligent posts, and then lots of chatter about me wanting something for free.
We agree to disagree I guess.
Don't know how many times I've mentioned I was looking for signs to indicate my do's and don'ts, not my portable by-law reference guide for parking in the province. Long time driver, any kind of infraction - parking or driving - is rare for me. If I'd parked in a wheelchair spot and been towed, do you think I'd be posting here? I'd take my lumps and move on. That's a hypothetical anyway.
Another post referenced the uptick in fines from the city. It's important revenue.
As for all the chatter about me wanting something for free, here's the clarification. I'm fit and able to walk from a distance and prefer that to paying to park. Whoopdee do, get over that part.
Again, ticketed... lesson learned. Towing me away from a semi occupied industrial area, parked against the curb, blocking no driveway, that's overkill. Judgement call from by-laws. And from other posts, it's very obviously an issue in Kelowna.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Penticton Host wrote:As for all the chatter about me wanting something for free, here's the clarification. I'm fit and able to walk from a distance and prefer that to paying to park. Whoopdee do, get over that part.
Again, ticketed... lesson learned. Towing me away from a semi occupied industrial area, parked against the curb, blocking no driveway, that's overkill. Judgement call from by-laws. And from other posts, it's very obviously an issue in Kelowna.

It actually has nothing to do how well you park (meaning respecting business in the area). Since you were unable to respond to the warnings placed on your car by the city (which they do, before having towed away).
The only choice they have is to consider it abandoned vehicle and tow it away.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Penticton Host wrote: And from other posts, it's very obviously an issue in Kelowna.

Given your username, we'll assume you're from Penticton. So, curious as to what the bylaw in regards to parking your car on the side of the road is there?

On any highway for a continuous period exceeding seventy-two (72) hours without first obtaining the written permission of the Public Works Manager.

You were gone for 10 days, at 24 hours a day equals 240 hours - give or take ... guess you'd be crap out of luck there as well, huh?

BTW, why didn't you use the parking at the airport? Or is that just another "money grab" for you?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Dizzy1 wrote:BTW, why didn't you use the parking at the airport? Or is that just another "money grab" for you?

I guess he's one of those people who wants to pay as little as possible for everything, but gets bitten in the *bleep* for it, and blames everybody but himself. Cheap people always pay twice.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

You know, if this had come to my mind, I might be tempted to try what the OP did as well. I'm all for saving a buck. Now I know this won't work. No need to rag on the fella.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Steve-O wrote:I'm all for saving a buck.

So am I.

Steve-O wrote:Now I know this won't work.

Most people knew this when we got our licenses, some of us even before that.

Steve-O wrote:No need to rag on the fella.

Had it been a simple question like, "Hey, why did I get towed?" then I'd agree, but if the OP continuously tries to justify their ignorance with ...

Penticton Host wrote:Anyone else been victim to this random, arbitrary, selective money grab by the city?

Penticton Host wrote: I was told afterwards that the airport and the university are easy pickings for by-law money grabs.

Penticton Host wrote:You are right about the 24 hour by-law on the books, but that's truly a *bleep*

Penticton Host wrote:just a ridiculous rule, very arbitrary.

Penticton Host wrote:it's a money grab, no defense justifies it under the circumstance I described.

... and on and on with his excuses deserves to be ragged on.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Penticton Host wrote:Don't know how many times I've mentioned I was looking for signs to indicate my do's and don'ts, not my portable by-law reference guide for parking in the province.

Maybe you should get one of those portable reference guides before you head out. Most of the rest of us know that virtually every city in the world has similar rules.
Penticton Host wrote:Long time driver, any kind of infraction - parking or driving - is rare for me.

Doesn't mean anything. Lots of long time drivers out there who are oblivious to the rules of the road.
Penticton Host wrote:If I'd parked in a wheelchair spot and been towed, do you think I'd be posting here?

Maybe maybe not.

Penticton Host wrote:Another post referenced the uptick in fines from the city. It's important revenue.

It is, and given the amount of money that comes in, people still just don't care about the rules.

Penticton Host wrote:Again, ticketed... lesson learned.

Good.
Penticton Host wrote:Towing me away from a semi occupied industrial area, parked against the curb, blocking no driveway, that's overkill.

No it isn't. You broke the law ... and the result is, issue a warning to remove your vehicle which was given to you ... if that warning is not responded to ... you get towed. And guess what? Its exactly the same process where ever it is you came from.
Penticton Host wrote:Judgement call from by-laws. And from other posts, it's very obviously an issue in Kelowna.

The only issue is the one that people break the law and then try and play the "poor me" card.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Long term parking at the airport is free. Has been for at least the last month.

Ironic.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

KL3-Something wrote:Long term parking at the airport is free. Has been for at least the last month.

Ironic.

I doubt that is true. Must be a mistake. http://www.kelowna.ca/ylw/mobile/en/#Par
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

KL3-Something wrote:Long term parking at the airport is free. Has been for at least the last month.

Ironic.

I think that's just for the travel fair today. Wasn't free last week when I got back and won't be when I drop the car off Monday.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I've heard it on the radio and there is a big sign on the highway just north of the old fruit stand/ganster hang out stating that long term parking is free.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

KL3-Something wrote:I've heard it on the radio and there is a big sign on the highway just north of the old fruit stand/ganster hang out stating that long term parking is free.

Park in the long-term lot and bring in your parking voucher to be validated for free parking.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page3251.aspx
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

ahh....I see

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”