For those who hang out in the left lane..

Home of the traffic rant.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: For those who hang out in the left lane..

Post by steven lloyd »

maxx wrote: I certainly don't intimidate that easily.....especially if I'm doing the legal limit through town where there is no requirement to 'stay right'. I don't care how important you think you are - If I'm doing the posted limit through town and you catch up to me, you're the one that's breaking the law.

I don’t care how important you think you are. Being a left-lane “this is the speed limit” dick is now a traffic violation, and even if you’re doing the posted limit, if you’re in the left lane and preventing people from passing (thereby creating hazardous conditions) you’re the one who is now breaking the law. This is most excellent. I can hardly wait to see the indignation.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

steven lloyd wrote:I don’t care how important you think you are. Being a left-lane “this is the speed limit” dick is now a traffic violation, and even if you’re doing the posted limit, if you’re in the left lane and preventing people from passing (thereby creating hazardous conditions) you’re the one who is now breaking the law. This is most excellent. I can hardly wait to see the indignation.

But he said "through town" and there is no law that says "keep right" through town, only on the open highway where signs exist.
The chances of seeing someone ticketed on Harvey for example for staying in the left lane at 60 is zero
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

dodgerdodge wrote: But he said "through town" and there is no law that says "keep right" through town, only on the open highway where signs exist. The chances of seeing someone ticketed on Harvey for example for staying in the left lane at 60 is zero

True dat. However, I'm sure there are still plenty of "left lane police" between Orchard park Mall and out past the airport.

this law's for you :o)
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

It doesn't matter what lane you use through town as theres no way to zip through on a normal day regardless. This law is obviously meant for hwys with faster speed limits.

If a previous poster wants to climb the connector while doing the posted 120k in the left lane, he better move over for the people that want to go 130-140k. MOVE THE HECK OVER. It doesn't matter if these speeders are breaking laws, they too may get a ticket. The law is meant to make things safer based on real conditions. The real conditions factor in speeders.

Most people will go 10k over,so your 120k in a 120k zone is going to impede traffic and irritate many. Yes the left lane JERK will be offended at other peoples choices, which is also stupid, but who the heck cares about what you think anyway? If people want to safely travel 10k or so over and you're hogging the left lane, YOUR'E A FIRST CLASS JERK.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It's a good law but let's face it this is mostly for the whiners & *bleep* who are frustrated in the left lane because they can't go over the speed limit and act like jerks passing right and left in and out of traffic. Can't beat'em join'em I guess.
Well at least now we'll know where they'll mostly be.

Kinda funny how when we had the old bridge we had no problem keeping people in the right lane, almost half way to Westbank as most don't have the mind power or maybe too much of an a$$hole to shuffle 2 lanes into 1.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

jimmy4321 wrote:It's a good law but let's face it this is mostly for the whiners & *bleep* who are frustrated in the left lane because they can't go over the speed limit and act like jerks passing right and left in and out of traffic.

I disagree. People camping out in the left lane frustrates other drivers on the road, encouraging them to drive dangerously. I see it constantly, especially in West Kelowna on Hwy 97.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

StraitTalk wrote:

I disagree. People camping out in the left lane frustrates other drivers on the road, encouraging them to drive dangerously. I see it constantly, especially in West Kelowna on Hwy 97.

But whilst there are always the left lane hogs who will drive from Boucherie to Westbank centre in the left lane for no good reason there are also the legitimate left lane drivers who are turning at the next intersection and during rush hour when its bumper to bumper some of these will get over maybe too early because they get frustrated not being able to merge into the left lane when they need to. All the time we have roads where there are intersections not that far apart and drivers who use the roads who need to turn left we will have an issue with this.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

KL3-Something wrote:I anticipate the you will see as much enforcement of this as you do of the HOV lanes in Kelowna.

The highway in between Kelowna and West Kelowna doesn't have a HOV. What it does have is the worst non-right hand lane yielding drivers out there that love to brake check and even try to run you off the road when you don't like their lane matching for 5km @ 80km/hr speeds and traffic congestion issues.

No excuses - flash those lights and get traffic moving.

You don't even have to get out of your car and put down your coffee!
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

You do realize that i would still need to put my coffee down to hit the light switch don't you?

Pfft! Better things to do.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

KL3-Something wrote:You do realize that i would still need to put my coffee down to hit the light switch don't you?

Pfft! Better things to do.

i sir say thanks for going after the real criminals instead of worrying who is in a left lane
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

We hear a lot about left lane hogs, and far too little about right lane hogs. I find it very frustrating when I'm sitting waiting to pull out onto the highway and am unable to do so because vehicles refuse to pull over into the left lane in order to allow me to enter the highway.

Yesterday I was trying to pull on in Vernon near the Squires 4 pub and over 10 vehicles passed (including a large tractor trailer) and not one of them pulled over into the other lane, despite the fact there wasn't a single vehicle in the right hand lane to prevent them from doing so.

This happens all the time, yet I never hear of anyone getting a ticket for it. But it's about time they did.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I do completely agree that people who want to drive slower need to go into the right lane but I don't think its a cause to be pulled over. Yes, it is annoying, and I'm not sure what would be a good way of going around getting people to follow that rule. But if someone is going to posted speed limit, and someone else is speeding and a police officer pulls over the person driving the speed limit but just in the wrong lane, that just does not seem like a proper use of their time and resources. I do get quite angry and annoyed when I get stuck behind someone going slower then me on the highway, but I also get annoyed with the a**holes that drive like morons driving extremely, and unsafely over the speed limit. I would be more frustrated if I witnessed both an excessive speeder and a slow poke driving along, and the police officer pulls over the slow poke just because they are in the wrong lane. When the speeder is the one who would most likely cause an accident.
hail Satan y'all
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

I don't care "how fast" or "how slow" you want to drive, it's none of my business. I will not purposely impede traffic and I expect the same from others.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

whatwhat wrote:I do completely agree that people who want to drive slower need to go into the right lane but I don't think its a cause to be pulled over. Yes, it is annoying, and I'm not sure what would be a good way of going around getting people to follow that rule. But if someone is going to posted speed limit, and someone else is speeding and a police officer pulls over the person driving the speed limit but just in the wrong lane, that just does not seem like a proper use of their time and resources. I do get quite angry and annoyed when I get stuck behind someone going slower then me on the highway, but I also get annoyed with the a**holes that drive like morons driving extremely, and unsafely over the speed limit. I would be more frustrated if I witnessed both an excessive speeder and a slow poke driving along, and the police officer pulls over the slow poke just because they are in the wrong lane. When the speeder is the one who would most likely cause an accident.

I think you spoil your argument when you jump to "excessive speeder" and a "slow poke" (hogging the left lane).

We're talking about a law that will be enacted. Then there will be two laws. Speeding and travelling in the left lane, not passing or turning left. Neither excuses the other.

The one annoying issue that does seem to elicit much comment is the driver who has been travelling in the right lane and is allowing faster traffic to pass by in the left lane, and them comes upon a slower vehicle in the right lane and then pulls into the left lane to briefly travel in the left lane while passing the slower vehicle in the right lane, only to be tailgated by a vehicle coming faster in the left lane.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i see everyday way more people speeding than i do hogging a leftlane

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”