For those who hang out in the left lane..

Home of the traffic rant.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: For those who hang out in the left lane..

Post by TreeGuy »

Gixxer wrote: Traffic gets tied up, get use to it, or leave earlier.

Thanks for the tip! Note to self: L-e-a-v-e E-a-r-l-i-e-r

But seriously, I am seldom late for appointments (I shoot for ten minutes early), I have lived on the Westside for 12 years, trust me I am use to it. But that is not the point. We all need to share the road, think of others, be courteous and not drive around like a bunch of narcissistic people with attitudes of entitlement. The Chambers truck was travelling in the left lane the entire trip into Kelowna. At each intersection traffic was tied up behind as he had to gain momentum from each light, no reason for him not to tuck over after he passed the logging truck.

Really though, all in all it doesn't matter I was just adding to the conversation. But thanks for being snarky! ;oP
Eires

Post by Eires »

TreeGuy wrote:
Thanks for the tip! Note to self: L-e-a-v-e E-a-r-l-i-e-r

But seriously, I am seldom late for appointments (I shoot for ten minutes early), I have lived on the Westside for 12 years, trust me I am use to it. But that is not the point. We all need to share the road, think of others, be courteous and not drive around like a bunch of narcissistic people with attitudes of entitlement. The Chambers truck was travelling in the left lane the entire trip into Kelowna. At each intersection traffic was tied up behind as he had to gain momentum from each light, no reason for him not to tuck over after he passed the logging truck.

Really though, all in all it doesn't matter I was just adding to the conversation. But thanks for being snarky! ;oP

Commercial drivers are taught to move back to the right lane as soon as it's safe to do so - this type of driving gives the rest of us professional drivers a bad name. Besides it's just courteous & common sense not to tie up traffic.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Eires wrote:Commercial drivers are taught to move back to the right lane as soon as it's safe to do so - this type of driving gives the rest of us professional drivers a bad name. Besides it's just courteous & common sense not to tie up traffic.

That's the problem with this new law as it stands. The whole of 97 from Westbank to Reeds corner does not have a speed limit of 90 or more so drivers who choose to stay left are technically not in the wrong. However it is absolutely frustrating to sit behind vehicles who, for whatever reason, decide they like staying left even though they aren't turning off. That section from the bridge to Westbank is the worst part yet nothing has really changed to force people to move over and of course those that are turning off at next intersection have every right to be there
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Being a commercial driver myself I have first hand experience driving a large truck through Kelowna. The middle lane is the fastest, because the right hand lane is stop and go with drivers turning right with them having to wait for pedestrians crossing the street.

The DCT truck was probably going to Gorman Brothers for a load of chips.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

dodgerdodge wrote:That's the problem with this new law as it stands. The whole of 97 from Westbank to Reeds corner does not have a speed limit of 90 or more so drivers who choose to stay left are technically not in the wrong. However it is absolutely frustrating to sit behind vehicles who, for whatever reason, decide they like staying left even though they aren't turning off. That section from the bridge to Westbank is the worst part yet nothing has really changed to force people to move over and of course those that are turning off at next intersection have every right to be there

Even though it has a highway name, it's not as such. It's two lanes in order to move a large amount of traffic through an urban area. Slower vehicles travelling under the posted speed are to be in the right lane so as not to interrupt the flow. Anyone doing the speed limit has every right to be in either lane. Just because people want to drive faster than the posted speed doesn't mean everyone has to make a clear path for them. Out of the cities yes, but not that particular stretch of road. The problem with applying the "keep right" law on roads such that is that every time someone makes a lane changeit increases the chance of a collision being caused by it. We already have enough people crashing into each without making rules to cause more accidents.
I birn quil I se
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Gixxer wrote: The DCT truck was probably going to Gorman Brothers for a load of chips.

He was Kelowna bound, so he was probably using the left lane through West Kelowna so he would be ready for his left hand turn onto Gordon Drive. LOL In his defence people don't give trucks enough room to maneuver and when they signal to change lanes drivers don't let them in. On my work truck and trailer I mounted LED taillights so that when I put my signal on drivers definitely see it and if they want to pretend they don't, I start sliding over anyways.

I drove truck for a bit in Edmonton, I appreciate what it takes to drive a truck through busy traffic. If I see a rig signalling to change lanes I am the driver that backs off and gives lots of room allowing them to move over. I will even give a flash of the lights to let them know its clear.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Randall T wrote:The problem with applying the "keep right" law on roads such that is that every time someone makes a lane changeit increases the chance of a collision being caused by it. We already have enough people crashing into each without making rules to cause more accidents.

The problem we have now with this stretch of highway is the drivers weaving in and out of the traffic and squeezing into the buffer zone drivers create for themselves. Slower drivers being courteous and sticking to the right would help alleviate this.

But lets face it, it's a mess out there in traffic. Too many people in a big rush to go nowhere, too many people driving with a sense of entitlement and definitely too many people not paying attention and playing on their phones.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

TreeGuy wrote:
The problem we have now with this stretch of highway is the drivers weaving in and out of the traffic and squeezing into the buffer zone drivers create for themselves. Slower drivers being courteous and sticking to the right would help alleviate this.

But lets face it, it's a mess out there in traffic. Too many people in a big rush to go nowhere, too many people driving with a sense of entitlement and definitely too many people not paying attention and playing on their phones.

Saw this very thing happen today when a rather impatient speeding driver (i was slightly over the speed limit and he flew past me) came up behind a car in left lane. The car was staying left to overtake a slower vehicle ahead and had a motorbike in front of him. This jerk in his diesel truck swung into right lane and then realized he had little space to pass so indicated and forced his way in front of car and behind the bike. The car had to brake and swerve violently, almost hitting the concrete median to avoid a collision. All this so the truck could get a few seconds ahead. I have no idea if the car driver gave chase or took guys details as i got stuck on next red and they disappeared from view.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

"Saw this very thing happen today when a rather impatient speeding driver................" Maybe this should be under the thread "YER AN IDIOT". Seems to fit that pretty good. Read some of the horror stories on that one.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I see away too much of that kind of thing and more often than not it is speeders.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

dodgerdodge wrote:
Saw this very thing happen today when a rather impatient speeding driver (i was slightly over the speed limit and he flew past me) came up behind a car in left lane. The car was staying left to overtake a slower vehicle ahead and had a motorbike in front of him. This jerk in his diesel truck swung into right lane and then realized he had little space to pass so indicated and forced his way in front of car and behind the bike. The car had to brake and swerve violently, almost hitting the concrete median to avoid a collision. All this so the truck could get a few seconds ahead. I have no idea if the car driver gave chase or took guys details as i got stuck on next red and they disappeared from view.

Maybe it was the same jackwad on the oyama hwy today, I'm passing a line of cars at about 15km over the speed limit and this crazy person comes up behind me from no where, must have been travelling some goofy fast speed.... blares his horn and slams on the brakes. I'm still passing a semi so I can't exactly get out of his/her/it's way.... they drop back and cut over into the far right lane behind the semi then jumps in front just as I've passed the semi and about to move over into the slow lane again... scared the absolute crap out of me. The thing about this new law is that people seem to think it gives them license to be absolute idiots to people who are in the left lane. And lots of people seem to think it applies to all roads instead of hwy's with a posted speedlimit of 90 or more.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:
Maybe it was the same jackwad on the oyama hwy today, I'm passing a line of cars at about 15km over the speed limit and this crazy person comes up behind me from no where, must have been travelling some goofy fast speed.... blares his horn and slams on the brakes. I'm still passing a semi so I can't exactly get out of his/her/it's way.... they drop back and cut over into the far right lane behind the semi then jumps in front just as I've passed the semi and about to move over into the slow lane again... scared the absolute crap out of me. The thing about this new law is that people seem to think it gives them license to be absolute idiots to people who are in the left lane. And lots of people seem to think it applies to all roads instead of hwy's with a posted speedlimit of 90 or more.

Absolutely true, i don't think people are fully aware of the law as it stands. Today on 97 between Westbank and Daimler there were 3 campers all travelling the limit and all staying in the left lane. People were getting frustrated and going round on the right and cutting back in. Turned out they were all turning off at Daimler. Now of course they could have stayed right until nearer but as it was busy and they were travelling the limit maybe they thought there was no issue.
On the truck theme i had a diesel ford behind me coming down 97 towards Antlers beach where it is 70 and there has already been a speed check there this week so i'm keeping to the limit, he's riding my bumper all through the 70 then when we speed up to 90 he passes me on the double yellows going like a bat out of hell. Freaking idiot!
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Maybe it was the same jackwad on the oyama hwy today, I'm passing a line of cars at about 15km over the speed limit and this crazy person comes up behind me from no where, must have been travelling some goofy fast speed.... blares his horn and slams on the brakes. I'm still passing a semi so I can't exactly get out of his/her/it's way.... they drop back and cut over into the far right lane behind the semi then jumps in front just as I've passed the semi and about to move over into the slow lane again... scared the absolute crap out of me. The thing about this new law is that people seem to think it gives them license to be absolute idiots to people who are in the left lane. And lots of people seem to think it applies to all roads instead of hwy's with a posted speedlimit of 90 or more.

When caught doing dumb stuff like that road bullies should be limited to driving tiny sub-compact cars for a couple of years. It's not very intimidating when a Spark is buzzing and weaving back and forth behind you and blowing a beep-beep horn.
I birn quil I se
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

The campers are a bad situation, but being a regular driver of one I certainly understand it. You get over early whenever you get a chance because no one will let that huge vehicle get in front of them. If you think it can be difficult to change lanes in a car, try it when you are 45-50 feet long with not great visablility. When you are that big you can crowd over, but that is EXTREMELY dangerous and should not be necessary. People should learn to drive properly. If they would allow people to merge they would not have to move over away ahead of time and cause these problems.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Smurf wrote:The campers are a bad situation, but being a regular driver of one I certainly understand it. You get over early whenever you get a chance because no one will let that huge vehicle get in front of them. If you think it can be difficult to change lanes in a car, try it when you are 45-50 feet long with not great visablility. When you are that big you can crowd over, but that is EXTREMELY dangerous and should not be necessary. People should learn to drive properly. If they would allow people to merge they would not have to move over away ahead of time and cause these problems.

If I'm heading South into town, anytime after the airport is fair game for me to get in the left hand lane to turn at Reeds corner. It's kinda a catch-22. If there is little traffic, I don't fuss about getting over but am also not in peoples way (as there is little traffic). If there is more than a little, I know I have to get over early so I can be in the left lane. But because there is traffic, I know I am holding someone up. I'd love to be able to change lanes closer to Sexsmith, but also know how others drive.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”