For those who hang out in the left lane..

Home of the traffic rant.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: For those who hang out in the left lane..

Post by Smurf »

One thing is for sure, tourists, of whom we have many, will not know all these laws and variances so expect lots of problems. I know I had/have lots of problems when I travel. Legal U-turns a intersections with lights in the states got me for a while. I know of one intersection in Las Vegas which is 3 lanes each way with turning lanes and U-turns are allowed. It makes it exciting sometimes when you have an aggressive driver U-turning right in front of your 40+ foot monstrosity..
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Smurf wrote: It makes it exciting sometimes when you have an aggressive driver U-turning right in front of your 40+ foot monstrosity..

It never ceases to amaze me how drivers think you can stop a vehicle that weighs upwards of +7000k on a dime.
You try to leave a buffer zone and they cut in front or pull out from a side street right in front of you and then slow down!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

People do it all the time to the buses. We have some great bus drivers around our town, and thank Heaven for them. Otherwise, we would have some bad, bad accidents because people think buses can stop on a dime.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The sooner Kelowna gets rid of the HOV lane the sooner some of the constant need to change lanes back and forth (and the increased risk that every lane change involves) will be lowered. Very few people seem to abide by the HOV rules anyway.

The other thing they have to get rid of are City busses being required to stop and pick up or drop off passenters while occupying most of the right hand (sometimes only) lane. Sometimes even the bike lane gets thrown into the bus stop.
missmorgan

Post by missmorgan »

maxx wrote:
I certainly don't intimidate that easily.....especially if I'm doing the legal limit through town where there is no requirement to 'stay right'. I don't care how important you think you are - If I'm doing the posted limit through town and you catch up to me, you're the one that's breaking the law.

If you were walking on a sidewalk, 3 people abreast, and someone was walking behind you, wanting to pass, would you just keep blocking their way? I would hope not. It would be common courtesy to let the person pass. Why is driving any different? Why do you think it's your place to not let someone get to where they want to get to? Are you really that self-important?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

missmorgan wrote:
If you were walking on a sidewalk, 3 people abreast, and someone was walking behind you, wanting to pass, would you just keep blocking their way?

By far one of the best analogies I've read about the subject. Kudos :)

The whole thing I don't get about this "argument" is how so many people simply can't differentiate driving on a "highway' through town and driving a "highway" between towns. While they are the same "highway", the driving dynamics are completely different and it shouldn't take that much common sense to be able to realize that and drive accordingly.

If you are driving down a highway such as 97C, and you are not passing - you have no reason to be in the left lane what so ever, there is none. One can try and justify it all they want, but it doesn't change the simple fact that there really is no reason other than passing or if the right lane is obstructed or in a poor state of maintenance (snow as an example).
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Maybe they need to change the name of Hwy97 from Sexsmith to the Glenrosa turnoff. Make it one big Harvey on the Kelowna side and Randall Blvd or whatever on the West Kelowna side. That may take away some of the confusion whether it's a highway or not. It's really the civilized thing to do.
I birn quil I se
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Randall T wrote:Maybe they need to change the name of Hwy97 from Sexsmith to the Glenrosa turnoff. Make it one big Harvey on the Kelowna side and Randall Blvd or whatever on the West Kelowna side. That may take away some of the confusion whether it's a highway or not. It's really the civilized thing to do.

The whole can of worms starts with the Motor Vehicle Act itself by defining literally any public road way as a "highway".

Having said that though, it still shouldn't take much to figure out traffic dynamics differences when one is within city limits and when one isn't.

Going down 97 through West Kelowna is quite a bit different then when you turn off on to 97C.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Bsuds wrote:You try to leave a buffer zone and they cut in front or pull out from a side street right in front of you and then slow down!
Try it pulling a fully loaded super B weighing 63,500 KG. happens a couple or more times a day,i think some have a death wish.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Dizzy1 wrote:The whole can of worms starts with the Motor Vehicle Act itself by defining literally any public road way as a "highway".

Having said that though, it still shouldn't take much to figure out traffic dynamics differences when one is within city limits and when one isn't.

Going down 97 through West Kelowna is quite a bit different then when you turn off on to 97C.

It shouldn't be too difficult but when people get in their cars there is a high probability their IQ level drops significantly.
I birn quil I se
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

I can't believe we are still jabbering about the losers who tie up the left lane on the highway. If you are blocking someone and the right lane is clear to be in move over even if you are doing the limit. You really have no idea who is behind you and what there circumstance is.. This year I had a limited time to get to see my wife and father before they both passed away and both deaths were unexpected at different times. I was blocked by so many idiots just doddoling and not letting me by. I was able to thankfully talk to both so don't think the guy behind is just some jerk. It might mean the difference of saying ""I love you to your wife"" one last time.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

nikonfan wrote:I can't believe we are still jabbering about the losers who tie up the left lane on the highway. If you are blocking someone and the right lane is clear to be in move over even if you are doing the limit. You really have no idea who is behind you and what there circumstance is.. This year I had a limited time to get to see my wife and father before they both passed away and both deaths were unexpected at different times. I was blocked by so many idiots just doddoling and not letting me by. I was able to thankfully talk to both so don't think the guy behind is just some jerk. It might mean the difference of saying ""I love you to your wife"" one last time.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

nikonfan wrote:This year I had a limited time to get to see my wife and father before they both passed away and both deaths were unexpected at different times. I was blocked by so many idiots just doddoling and not letting me by. I was able to thankfully talk to both so don't think the guy behind is just some jerk. It might mean the difference of saying ""I love you to your wife"" one last time.

This is totally sarcastic but "if you're in a hurry you need to leave sooner".

I have daydreamed about what you describe and I just picture some *bleep* saying "THE SPEED LIMIT IS 80 IM DOING 80".

Glad you got your last words in.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

Atomoa wrote:
This is totally sarcastic but "if you're in a hurry you need to leave sooner".

I have daydreamed about what you describe and I just picture some *bleep* saying "THE SPEED LIMIT IS 80 IM DOING 80".

Glad you got your last words in.

Well unfortunately sometimes in life things happen that are completely out of your control like a stroke. If you get a call to get to ICU quick the self righteous putz going slow in the fast lane holding up traffic has no idea what type of crises is happening to the guy on your bumper. For gosh sakes, just move over and let the guy go! Chances are that is not happening to the guy on your bumper and if you would have asked me that 12 months ago I would have been sceptical too but it happened to me 2 times in 6 months.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”