For those who hang out in the left lane..

Home of the traffic rant.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: For those who hang out in the left lane..

Post by TreeGuy »

dodgerdodge wrote:But he wasn't driving illegally. The highway through West Kelowna is only 80km/hr. The new law states "on multi lane highways with speed limits of 90 or above"
Doesn't mean he shouldn't have moved over to be courteous to others though.

Sorry Sir but you are incorrect! My wife who works as an ICBC broker brought home a pamphlet on this new law and it states,

"The law applies to all motorists travelling on BC highways with two or more lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction, and a posted speed limit of 80 Km/h or greater."

ETA Ministry of Transportation website, Keep Right, Let Others Pass Law http://tranbc.ca/2015/06/15/keep-right-let-others-pass-law-is-now-official-on-bc-highways/#sthash.K2ZjVjWb.dpbs
Last edited by TreeGuy on Jul 3rd, 2015, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Always Sunny wrote:Nearly every article I've read states that the limit must be over 80km/h, while the government website states 80km/h or greater.

Four of the main media outlets putting out incorrect information, that isn't very helpful! Hopefully MOT will put up signs along the highways to educate the driving public seen as how the news media screwed it all up.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

TreeGuy wrote:
Four of the main media outlets putting out incorrect information, that isn't very helpful! Hopefully MOT will put up signs along the highways to educate the driving public seen as how the news media screwed it all up.

More signs, what will that cost tax payers 20 million?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Always Sunny wrote:Nearly every article I've read states that the limit must be over 80km/h, while the government website states 80km/h or greater.

TreeGuy wrote:Four of the main media outlets putting out incorrect information, that isn't very helpful! Hopefully MOT will put up signs along the highways to educate the driving public seen as how the news media screwed it all up.

I noticed that as well. Hopefully more people know about straight.com as I'd never heard of it prior to looking up articles last night.

I'm not sure that it's been clarified yet, but I've spoken to many police officer friends and they said they're happy with the change, but there's been no communication as to which section of the BC MVA applies. It's still (or at the time we spoke) not written to cover this change.

It's unfortunate that signs would be there answer. We already have tons of those new "let others pass" signs. The reality is, if you don't choose to educate yourself, you'll get a ticket.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I don't thing it matters what the speed limit is. To me, it is simple courtesy--the left lane is for passing, or turning left, so-----keep right when you are driving and don't hog the left lane, just because you think it is your right. Too many people are in the me, me, MEEEEE mode, and it is soooooo frustrating for other drivers. Keeping right only makes it right, unless you are passing, or turning left, then move back to the right to make it right.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The problem is how poorly some people merge and join the flow of traffic. Being in the right lane with even the odd on-ramp causes people to camp in the left lane, there is just simply far less hassle and easier to maintain a constant speed. I do have a tried and tested solution though. Change the right lane into an HOV, this way it magically becomes the passing lane leaving the left lane for slower traffic. :)
Your welcome.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Poindexter wrote:The problem is how poorly some people merge and join the flow of traffic. Being in the right lane with even the odd on-ramp causes people to camp in the left lane, there is just simply far less hassle and easier to maintain a constant speed. I do have a tried and tested solution though. Change the right lane into an HOV, this way it magically becomes the passing lane leaving the left lane for slower traffic. :)
Your welcome.

Sorry but I think you have that reversed.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Then you haven't driven on hwy 97 in Kelowna where the HOV lane has become the passing lane. Was intended to be taken as sarcasm..... :3/
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

TreeGuy wrote:Sorry Sir but you are incorrect! My wife who works as an ICBC broker brought home a pamphlet on this new law and it states,

"The law applies to all motorists travelling on BC highways with two or more lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction, and a posted speed limit of 80 Km/h or greater."

ETA Ministry of Transportation website, Keep Right, Let Others Pass Law http://tranbc.ca/2015/06/15/keep-right-let-others-pass-law-is-now-official-on-bc-highways/#sthash.K2ZjVjWb.dpbs

Great so another law is introduced and we already have conflicting information meaning half the people are following it correctly and half think they are following it correctly but aren't.
Well that kind of makes sense that this new law would also cover the highway from top of bridge hill to Westbank BUT difficult to police that with so many left turn intersections along the route and right lane mergers that may need moving over for. Will be interesting to see if anyone is actually ticketed for it on that stretch
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

TreeGuy wrote:Sorry Sir but you are incorrect! My wife who works as an ICBC broker brought home a pamphlet on this new law and it states,

Now with new label going from District of West Kelowna to City of West Kelowna. I would suspect Hwy 97 within the city boundaries are no longer under that new law. As is within City of Kelowna.

Within city limits its just 4 lane highway, or is this wrong
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

GordonH wrote:Now with new label going from District of West Kelowna to City of West Kelowna. I would suspect Hwy 97 within the city boundaries are no longer under that new law. As is within City of Kelowna.

Interesting thought. Are there any sections of Highway 97 through Kelowna that have a speed limit posted at 80 kph or above? I think 97 from the bridge to Butt Rd will stay under the provincial jurisdiction. Isn't 97 through Kelowna under provincial jurisdiction? It just has lower speed limits.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Now with new label going from District of West Kelowna to City of West Kelowna. I would suspect Hwy 97 within the city boundaries are no longer under that new law. As is within City of Kelowna.

TreeGuy wrote:Interesting thought. Are there any sections of Highway 97 through Kelowna that have a speed limit posted at 80 kph or above? I think 97 from the bridge to Butt Rd will stay under the provincial jurisdiction. Isn't 97 through Kelowna under provincial jurisdiction? It just has lower speed limits.

City of Kelowna boundary on Hwy 97 goes from East side of the bridge to just south of Commonwealth Rd (just north of Ellison Lake aka Duck lake)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I am not trying to be argumentative, I just want to figure this out. :)

I found this excerpt from the City of Kelowna website:

"Highway 97 falls under the jurisdiction of the provincial Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure and is operated by the Ministry. However, the City of Kelowna works together with the Ministry on the signalized intersection with the City's crossing roads."

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page2629.aspx
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

TreeGuy wrote:Interesting thought. Are there any sections of Highway 97 through Kelowna that have a speed limit posted at 80 kph or above? I think 97 from the bridge to Butt Rd will stay under the provincial jurisdiction. Isn't 97 through Kelowna under provincial jurisdiction? It just has lower speed limits.

Right up at the top end near Reeds corner, is that section 80? I know it climbs to 70 and it's certainly 80 heading out towards airport past university

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”