Comparing car accidents by city

Home of the traffic rant.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Comparing car accidents by city

Post by Bsuds »

LOL^^^

Can we break down the Stats for Kelowna to include "out of towners"?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I doubt it. But I am sure others thought it while I just came right out with it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:I doubt it. But I am sure others thought it while I just came right out with it.

If they're not actually involved in the accident they certainly have caused some.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Atenbacon, Victoria only has a population of 80,000. I got my data here. You can look up each city in the crash map, and divide the number by 5. As you can see, Victoria is Victoria proper, which is less than 100,000 people. Saanich, etc. are separate.

Victoria is the tourist capital of BC, so I would think there are a lot of out of towners, but then again, perhaps they mostly fly in and walk or take transit to get around. I know I've done that before when I've visited Victoria. Victoria also has much nicer weather than Kelowna. EDIT: Victoria has a higher accident rate than Kelowna. See below.

Here is a very interesting way to break things down.
BC= 4,400,057
Lower Mainland = 2,590,921 (59% of population and 71% of the accidents)
Vancouver Island = 759,366 (17.3% of pop. and 12.6% of the accidents)
Southern Interior = 728,270 (16.6% of pop. and 12.2% of the accidents)
North = 321,500 (7.3% of pop. and 4.2% of accidents)

A better way to summarize would be accidents per 100,000 people.
Lower Mainland = 2161
Vancouver Island = 1304
Southern Interior = 1319
North = 1026

Victoria = 2858 (assuming a population of 80,000)
Kelowna = 2488 (assuming a population of 120,000)
Kamloops = 1756 (pop. of 90,000)
Chillwack = 1546 (pop. of 90,000)

It's hard to make a fair comparison because of metro areas. When I have time I will consider metro areas, and do the exercise again.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Okay, here is a comparison of metro areas.

Kelowna (Kelowna, West Kelowna, Lake Country, Peachland):
Population = 179,839
Accidents/100,000 people = 2087
Casualties/100,000 people = 860

Victoria (Victoria, Saanich, North Saanich, Oak Bay, Colwood, Langford, Equimalt, etc.):
Population = 344,615
Accidents/100,000 people = 1691
Casualties/100,000 people = 612

SUMMARY:
Kelowna has 23% more accidents and 41% more casualties than Victoria on a per capita basis.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

I tried the interactive map and was unable to replicate any of the results you posted. The reason may be because its a graph, and not tangible numbers.

As for the new numbers posted, even more confusing that you would only analyze the two cities.

All in all, I really have no clue what you are attempting to show... what I see is that Kelowna ranks pretty average in crash statistics considering its size and Victoria ranks quite low. But I suppose that depends on the population numbers, which I grabbed from the source linked, not "Victoria Proper" or what ever it was you are using.

Rather than be confused, I'll continue on my merry way and pretend I never saw this thread. **I will go back and adjust Victoria's numbers in my post though but will make a second line... to have it at 80,000.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”