Comparing car accidents by city

Home of the traffic rant.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Comparing car accidents by city

Post by Glacier »

Here is a comparison of similar sized cities:

Kelowna = 2986 crashes/year (1260 casualties)
Victoria = 2286 (917)
Nanaimo = 1646 (700)
Kamloops = 1580 (620)
Prince George = 1404 (468)
Chilliwack = 1391 (550)

I would expect Kelowna to be higher than Kamloops, but didn't expect it to be nearly twice as high.
Last edited by Glacier on Mar 10th, 2015, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Comparing car accidents by city

Post by Hmmm »

1260 died in car accidents in Kelowna last year? You never here of them. Maybe 10 you here of.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

"Casualty" only means they required medical assistance. Not that they died.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

KL3-Something wrote:"Casualty" only means they required medical assistance. Not that they died.

oh yeah.....silly me. I'm sure that I'm the first one to quickly look at a post and then respond without really reading it properly. :)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Glacier wrote:Here is a comparison of similar sized cities:

Kelowna = 2986 crashes/year (1260 casualties)
Victoria = 2286 (917)
Nanaimo = 1646 (700)
Kamloops = 1580 (620)
Prince George = 1404 (468)
Chilliwack = 1391 (550)

I would expect Kelowna to be higher than Kamloops, but didn't expect it to be nearly twice as high.

pretty much sums it up, about most kelowna drivers, on top of the fact that we have great driving condtions year round,you wound think that nanaimo, chilliwack and prince george would be ahead of us for that reason alone
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I think it has more to do with the fact that a number people do not reside here year-round, and when they are here, a number of them have a lax driving attitude. There is also the possibility that they never really quite get to know their way around here, either. Then there are the tourists who REALLY don't know where they are going.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

the truth wrote:pretty much sums it up, about most kelowna drivers, on top of the fact that we have great driving condtions year round,you wound think that nanaimo, chilliwack and prince george would be ahead of us for that reason alone

Chilliwack and Nanaimo have less snow and ice than Kelowna, so I'm not sure why you'd lump them in with Prince George. To be fair, Kelowna is larger than those other cities, but surely not twice as big... or is it? "Kelowna" does not include Lake Country and West Kelowna.

Accidents in other Okanagan cities:
    Vernon = 833 (314)
    West Kelowna = 569 (226)
    Penticton = 489 (171)
    Lake Country = 133 (43)
    Summerland = 105 (23) {1/6th of all accidents happen at a single intersection}
    Osoyoos = 69 (17)
    Peachland = 65 (18)
    Coldstream = 65 (15)
    Oliver = 50 (19)
    Lumby = 31 (6)
    Okanagan Falls = 29 (8)
    Armstrong = 28 (4)
    Spallumcheen = 27 (7)
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:Accidents in other Okanagan cities:
    Vernon = 833 (314)
    West Kelowna = 569 (226)
    Penticton = 489 (171)
    Lake Country = 133 (43)
    Summerland = 105 (23) {1/6th of all accidents happen at one intersection}
    Osoyoos = 69 (17)
    Peachland = 65 (18)
    Coldstream = 65 (15)
    Oliver = 50 (19)
    Lumby = 31 (6)
    Okanagan Falls = 29 (8)
    Armstrong = 28 (4)
    Spallumcheen = 27 (7)

Interesting.

Judging by the numbers, people in smaller cities are less likely to call for ambulance ( 1/4 and less in Lumby, Armstrong, Coldstream, etc. as opposed to almost 1/2 in Kelowna and West Kelowna.

I think it means people living in larger cities are sissies and call ambulance for every single ouchie.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

If you call, you get paid for the ouchie. How much for a neck that hurts these days? Can't xray it, must take your word on it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:Interesting.

Judging by the numbers, people in smaller cities are less likely to call for ambulance ( 1/4 and less in Lumby, Armstrong, Coldstream, etc. as opposed to almost 1/2 in Kelowna and West Kelowna.

I think it means people living in larger cities are sissies and call ambulance for every single ouchie.

Very interesting. As it so happens, Kelowna and West Kelowna are the biggest sissies I can find in the entire province, including Vancouver....

CITY....................CASUALTIES/ACCIDENTS
Kelowna.......................42%
West Kelowna..................40%
Chilliwack....................40%
Oliver........................38%
Vernon........................38%
Nanaimo.......................38%
Vancouver.....................36%
Penticton.....................35%
Prince George.................33%
Lake Country..................32%
Victoria .....................31%
Kamloops......................30%
Peachland.....................28%
Okanagan Falls................28%
Cranbrook.....................27%
Spallumcheen..................26%
Osoyoos.......................25%
Coldstream....................23%
Summerland....................22%
Lumby.........................19%
Armstrong.....................14%
- Douglas Murray
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

you would think all the places were it rains waaay more would be ahead of us
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Armstrong must be the place where people don't even notice if cars hit them, and just keep on going with their lives.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

the truth wrote:you would think all the places were it rains waaay more would be ahead of us

I think ice is worse, though even if rain is bad, Chilliwack and Nanaimo have freeways instead of traffic lights. If highway 87 were a freeway through Kelowna, the number of accidents in the city would probably drop by 1000/year, and millions of dollars in insurance payouts.

The reason Armstrong has low casualty numbers is because most of accidents happen at low speed (I would guess). Plus, most of them are farmers, and farmers are tough as nails. They probably aren't sure if the pain they feel at the accident is from the accident or from working hard in the field.
- Douglas Murray
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Without a link showing where you pulled your numbers it is hard to determine anything from them... I honestly did try to find something remotely close to what numbers you put up there but found nothing close...

I decided to add my own (With links to the data sources)

The first number [###,###] is the population in 2011, pulled from here: BC population stats

The second number **#### is the crash data that I found from 2013 from the ICBC site: ICBC Statistics

Part way down the page is the Reports on B.C.'s regions, each region has the cities you listed.

The third number {####} is from the same site and is the Injured Victims stat.

The fourth number takes the Injured Victims divided into the Number of crashes. Lower the number the better. Kelowna ranks higher than average

The last number is simply taking the number of crashes and dividing by the population, which gives a severity number based on crashes versus population, the lower the number the fewer crashes per population. Doing so seems to put Kelowna slightly higher than average, but then again Victoria would seem to have a statistically odd ball low number, taking Victoria out of the mix and Kelowna would be slightly lower than average when it comes to accidents.

Kelowna certainly has it's fair share of accidents, I suspect the increase in summer traffic might have something to do with that.. Victoria I have no idea on it's low accident stats, especially for a city double the population of Kelowna... Maybe more police? I don't know.

Now that I typed all this, I wish I made an excel spreadsheet.. haha. Oh, added the calculation on the end of that jumbled mess to show your numbers I divided the casualties by the crashes.. yes your numbers do indeed show Kelowna is worse.

Kelowna = 2986 crashes/year (1260 casualties) [141,767] **8150 {2160} (.265)(.0575) .422
Victoria = 2286 (917) [316,327] **7990 {2060} (.258)(.0253) .401
Victoria = 2286 (917) [80,032] **7990 {2060} (.258)(.0100) .401 **Added**
Nanaimo = 1646 (700) [88,799] **4980 {1700} (.341)(.0561) .425
Kamloops = 1580 (620) [73,472] **5690 {1640} (.288)(.0774) .392
Prince George = 1404 (468) [65,503] **3940 {930} (.236)(.0601) .333
Chilliwack = 1391 (550) [66,382] **3840 {1320} (.344)(.0578) .395
Last edited by atenbacon on Mar 12th, 2015, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

atenbacon wrote:Victoria I have no idea on it's low accident stats, especially for a city double the population of Kelowna... Maybe more police? I don't know.

Maybe people are more relaxed?
One inescapable question: Are there fewer folks from ---ahem--- out-of-province in Victoria?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”