Frustrated with senior drivers

Home of the traffic rant.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Frustrated with senior drivers

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't think it's necessarily always about age. Many people get their license and rarely drive until they have to in rare and sometimes stressfull situations. The more you drive the better you get at it so don't hog the drivers seat and let your wife or whoever drive.
Don't wait till your forced to drive.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

A good habit to get into is to back into parking spots whenever possible while you have an inventory in your mind of your surroundings (bicyclists, kids, skateboarders, etc) .
With so many vehicles having poor visibility back there and trucks with high rear ends it decreases the chance of an accident.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Woodie says
Ageism.

You damn young punks dont know nothin; Yuh think we geezers should get outa your way so you can squeal yer weels, well you listen here buddy, we geezers made the world safe for you punks, and you don't know enough to respect us old folks.
We built this country and we built it for us, if you don't like it just drive your dam car off a cliff. so there.
We're lost but we're making good time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Driving is a privilege not a right, so once ones reaction time diminishes. That person needs to make that hard choice to let go of that privilege and move on.
Before they hurt someone or themselves.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I just wish they'd try to avoid rush hour if they're not working. Surely they can make thier appointments and get most stuff done mid day. You look around in rush hour and you see them struggle and wonder why they'd put us and even more importantly themselves, through that hassle.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Woodenhead wrote:What I've learned from this thread: It's OK to speak badly about youth, but not so when it comes to the elderly.

Ageism.

No, entitlement.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I'm entitled to be ageist!
Your bias suits you.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

There should also be a better way to report drivers that need to be retested.

I have a distant relative that has had three major accidents in four years. She had another major incident last month, and isn't even fully healed, but is already looking for her next car. Her children 'support' her driving (I think this is because they are lazy and don't want to take care of her themselves).

I tried to report her, as I have driven with her, and she is a nightmare on the roads, and I "didn't have enough information".

This woman drove through a dollar store. Right into the building. Past the parking beams, sidewalk etc.

I dislike how selfish people can be - choosing to drive because it is easier for them.

I don't think this lady will stop until she kills herself, or someone else.

Sad.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

A senior just managed to hit a tree, put the car on he side and go to hospital today......

It's ok Global castanet will put an article up in a couple hours
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

GordonH wrote:Driving is a privilege not a right, so once ones reaction time diminishes. That person needs to make that hard choice to let go of that privilege and move on.

What of the non elderly who have already hurt and or killed? If it is the privilege you say it is they they shouldn't be driving at all. This is where the ageism is coming into play.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Driving is a privilege not a right, so once ones reaction time diminishes. That person needs to make that hard choice to let go of that privilege and move on.

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:What of the non elderly who have already hurt and or killed? If it is the privilege you say it is they they shouldn't be driving at all. This is where the ageism is coming into play.

Those are for the courts to deal with, everyone deserve his or her day in court.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:
What of the non elderly who have already hurt and or killed? If it is the privilege you say it is they they shouldn't be driving at all. This is where the ageism is coming into play.

Agreed, why not if you are a repeat offender of serious offences like speeding or impairment. Should you not loose your licence faster than say a senior who has never had a ticket.

Gordon H wrote:

Those are for the courts to deal with, everyone deserve his or her day in court.

Exactly again, and after that they should loose their licence, just like people want seniors to. There are definitely people on both sides of the age fence that should not have a licence. There are probably a lot more young people that should not have a licence than seniors.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

GordonH wrote:Those are for the courts to deal with, everyone deserve his or her day in court.

Then let the seniors have their day in court as well and not leave it up to doctors and family. Equal treatment for all as far as I'm concerned.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Those are for the courts to deal with, everyone deserve his or her day in court.

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Then let the seniors have their day in court as well and not leave it up to doctors and family. Equal treatment for all as far as I'm concerned.

So you would plug up our court system (which is already back logged) with seniors who have not hurt anyone else or themselves so far. But are a danger to others & themselves being behind the wheel based on Doctors report. Why would you want this?
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

This may not be the best comparison, but I believe (don't know because I have never tried), that if you phone Revenue Canada on someone (for tax evasion etc) that they do a check up on that person, if the details provided are of enough concern.

I think if you phone someone in, and have their licence plate, name, address etc that it should be enough information for someone to investigate, or issue them a summons for a driver's test. Doesn't matter how old they are, or how many 'reported' accidents they have.

(We all know people who have had multiple small incidents, or unexplained scrapes etc that don't claim on insurance or report it...).

I don't think there would be a mad rush of people reporting everyone on their road, especially as you should have to leave your contact info as well. (They could track who is abusing the system.).

That way when children don't want to report their parents, etc other who are concerned can.

At the very least maybe the person could be sent a letter letting them know that they had been reported, and that they may want to think about their driving habits.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”