Points on licence questions

Home of the traffic rant.
brounal
Board Meister

Points on licence questions

Post by brounal »

I had a perfect record but few days ago got some tickets that added 4 points . I know here they are on there for 5 years which seems absolutely unfair . Hear previously it was two or three years?
I am considering getting a job driving and am wondering if these 4 points will really prevent me from doing that.
Also heard that in some places not sure about BC I can ask Judge? about going to traffic school or something and then the tickets will be taken off sooner or the points won't be recorded ?
Also how much will these 4 points cost me on my license and how much on my insurance. I was at think highest level of discount as said have clean record since lived in BC for around 4 years.
I could possibly plead not guilt but don't think would win.
Last edited by brounal on Apr 29th, 2015, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Points on licence questions

Post by GordonH »

^^^ answers at least 1 of your questions http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/ti ... oints.aspx
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

From my own experience...

Several years ago I got two tickets within the 12 month period they use (knock on wood, my only tickets and haven't been stopped since). Since they were 3 points a piece that put me in the 6-point area, which I want to say at the time was a $300 premium. So I had to pay that $300 before renewing. However, I don't believe my actually insurance premium was affected. It was kind of a one time shot for me there.

Your 4 points is only $175 (3 or less there is no penalty).

My job requires driving and it's never affected it in any way. But I'm sure it's dependent on what the infractions area (i.e. going 20km over on a highway might be passable in an employer's mind...a DUI, not so much).

With regard to driving school, ICBC only states that giving up your license for a period of one month (may reduce points) or one year (eliminate points) is the only way to affect that.

Honestly, I doubt 4 points will hold you back from employment.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I believe you can dispute the ticket, and on the day of hearing ask the judge to re-consider the punishment sighting clean driving history. Most judges will consider removing points if asked politely enough, even if you're guilty. You might still have to pay the tickets, but the points will be removed and you'll save money on insurance and less worry about consequences.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

It all depends on the employer - in many cases they'll include the number and what type of driving infractions they allow within a certain time period on their applications or postings.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Captain Awesome wrote:I believe you can dispute the ticket, and on the day of hearing ask the judge to re-consider the punishment sighting clean driving history. Most judges will consider removing points if asked politely enough, even if you're guilty. You might still have to pay the tickets, but the points will be removed and you'll save money on insurance and less worry about consequences.

Anyone else know if this is true?
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

You better hope what Captain awesome says is true otherwise you're screwed for the next two years.http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/ty ... cence.aspx
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

django wrote:You better hope what Captain awesome says is true otherwise you're screwed for the next two years.http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/ty ... cence.aspx

Why do you assume the OP is in need of a commercial license?
Kelo_Can613
Fledgling

Post by Kelo_Can613 »

JPs do not have authority to remove demerit points in traffic court; they can only reduce fine amounts or extend the time you need to pay.

Of course, if you dispute and are found not guilty, then you don't pay or get any points :)
Last edited by Kelo_Can613 on Apr 30th, 2015, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Kelo_Can613 wrote:JPs do not have authority to remove demerit points in traffic court; they can only reduce fine amounts or extend the time you need to pay.

JP stands for Judge presiding or something Prosector?

This seems really unfair both in the length or time these points remain on ones record and that there is no traffic school type option in BC like there is in many other places.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ all info needed can be found in the link I posted earlier.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Ok JP is Justice of the Peace and read that link and few other ones as well.
As said 5 years is ridiculous and so is not option to go to a traffic court type of thing that many other provinces and states have as way to reduce or eliminate points .
Also the dispute form is not the best it seems as there are three charges on the ticket and the dispute form makes me pick not guilty or says guilty with time to pay or reduction of charges option but there should likely be a simple guilty option for them as well.
I have no argument with one of the charges possibly even two of the charges but mostly trying to maybe get the first charge dismissed so would then have 2 points instead of 4 and not have problem if want to go for commercial license. And of course be nice to not have to pay the 175 surcharge for 4 points .

I am not worried about fine amount or time to pay mostly only the points thing . As said up till now have a perfect record which is why think there should be some time allowance for people like me in the 5 year period or a way to get the points removed entirely.
Maybe be better if stated what did happen . I was getting some bad pains in my upper body area and was going to drive myself to the hospital.. I know maybe should have called ambulance but wasn't really really bad yet so was going down lakeshore and at the traffic circle by 711 forget the cross street , the new circle built last year by new bridge there was a semi that had hung himself up on the center of the circle so that a person could not go thru the circle to get to the other side of Lakeshore. There was a person standing behind the semi and I stopped and they waved me to go and didn't really think it was police . I couldn't see the police car it was behind the semi out of my line of vision and the officer was not that identifiable as pretty sure was wearing white shirt , black vest and not sure if had hat on or not. Yellow stripes are not very visible on the pants from my frontal angle and just thought it was some traffic person . I know in hindsight wish at least had camera in my vehicle and if she had her hat on then guess should have been more obvious that she was RCMP.
She waved me to go and I figured since again was in considerable pain and not thinking 100% clearly to go to the left thru the traffic circle as there were no cars in the circle or near the circle on the road that went down which was behind my Doctor's clinic. I parked and went to see my doctor and then drove home . The policewoman showed up at my house with the ticket in hand .
So got charged with failure to obey police officers direction , not obeying traffic control device since went thru the traffic circle wrong way thru the one section of it but as said semi was in the circle and blocked off traffic from the other directions .

Last charge was for expired plate. Thought it expired on the April 26th and guess it expired on the 24th. Was not thinking that clearly due to my pain or would have taken one of my other properly plated cars. But really did think it was the 24th. That fine was 100 bucks and not arguing that at all . And don't think that one adds any points.

So don't think likely going to win this and mostly just upset to have a perfect record and now will have these points on there for 5 years and can't go for commercial license which was interested in going for but now that door is slammed shut for two years.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Although I hate to come across as heartless, I find it difficult to agree that any of this can be deemed not fair. It does apply to anybody in the same situation, and in this case specifically, it sounds like each of these points could have been fairly easily avoided altogether had you been more responsible and more aware. For example, it's fair if you looked at what turned out to be RCMP and then continued the wrong way into a traffic circle, but then apparently at no other time did you look or notice the person. As you drove around the person, you likely would have noticed markings, or gestures asking you to stop.

It may seem harsh, but the same rules apply to everyone and are completely preventable. Unfortunately, that also means that you have to simply live with the consequences of your actions.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

onestop67 wrote:Why do you assume the OP is in need of a commercial license?

Well when the op stated he/she were thinking about getting a job driving I went out on a limb I guess.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”