Overpass Jammers

Home of the traffic rant.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Overpass Jammers

Post by Glacier »

I totally get the argument that you're an queue jumping *bleep* in this situation, and no, I would not do this, but I'm trying to figure out how far the bypass would have to be before you wouldn't be an *bleep*. What if there was a frontage road that you took all the way up to Ross Rd. Would that be acceptable?

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:Image

This one time I was driving through Westbank while there were doing construction when all of a sudden I noticed that my lane is blocked faaaaaar ahead and everybody is piling into the right lane. Instead of simply merging at the very end, people had a mile long line up before the construction site.

So, I'm looking for a place to merge into the right lane. Does anybody let me in? Hell no, everybody is sitting bumper to bumper. Am I going to sit there with my blinker on in the empty lane? Heck no. So, after slowing down couple of times and being refused, I simply went all the way to the obstruction and merged in right before some old lady.

Some guy in a pickup truck was so upset about it (he was behind the old lady) that he tailgated me all until I got tired of his *bleep* and floored the breaks, scared the hell out of him to the point that he swerved into a ditch. Ignorant idiot.

Lessons here:
1. Don't line up like idiots for miles. You're supposed to do a simple merge at the obstruction - one car from one side, one from the other. It's simple and way more efficient.
2. Don't be upset that some people drive in the empty lane all the way and then merge - it's probably idiots behind you would not let them in, and now the guy is forced to do what looks like an a-holish move.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

^^^
Yes, this inability to perform a simple alternating merge used to be a daily gong-show at the bridge barrier going into Kelowna.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain, I totally agree, and have experienced the same. The other thing I've done when driving on a road I've never been on before is do exactly as the a**hole did above because I had no idea that the left lane was a turn only lane. Needless to say the guy who had to let me in throw his hand up in disgust.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Glacier wrote:How is that any different than me cue jumping by leaving a major highway in Kelowna, taking Glenmore up to Lake Country, and rejoin the highway there? Okay, maybe it's the length that is the difference, and thus taking Glenmore is okay. But that begs the question: How short does the bypass have to before it becomes unacceptable? 0.5 km? 1 km? 10 km?

One is a recognized roadway that leads one into satellite neighborhoods and other communities and one is an off ramp allowing access to merchants with an adjoining on ramp that allows one to reenter traffic when one is finished their business with the merchants.

As far as I know, the use of an off ramp in order to facilitate circumventing traffic is illegal. The only exception would be if directed to use the ramp to circumvent an accident or construction and then only if directed to by an official.

The ramps have a very specific purpose, one of which is not to allow asssholes to try and get in front of 40 or 50 cars. Even if it's not illegal, it is poor form.

The video of the **dewsh** bag stoppers is a great example of just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The problem I think that some are having is that it is perception. The frontage road is an example. Bylands road runs parallel to the highway from Ross or Julianne I think to Daimler. It is a roadway though and can be used as a work around when it looks as though traffic is heavy through to Westbank.

The ramp at Nancee Way is a ramp, not a thoroughfare. It's that simple and I know in my heart that those who use it as a means to "jump the Que" know that they are being assssholes; they just don't care.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Dear overpass bypassers:
I’ve been watching some of you, and you hardly advance yourselves to the extent that you think. This fascination you have with keeping moving tells us all that you may be:

unobservant;
really poor with time management;
unable to regulate your temper;
incredibly solipsistic; or
simply an *bleep*.

I feel confident in saying the above, because I had fit into most of those categories in younger years before life kicked me in the *bleep* enough to smarten me up.

By not granting yourself adequate time, you are elevating your blood pressure and missing out on the calming effect of the beautiful scenery of the mountains and the lake (I mentally block out the billboards).
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”