Thanks MOT, West Kelowna, WFN and Peachland

Home of the traffic rant.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: Thanks MOT, West Kelowna, WFN and Peachland

Post by GoStumpy »

dodgerdodge wrote:
It not specifically a weekend problem, its an everyday problem when you have to travel up and down 97. Early afternoon today and i'm heading towards Hudson/Westlake intersection and traffic is tailed back because of the lights, its not weekend or rush hour yet we have a tailback caused by traffic lights. I can see they changed to green and i can also see the vehicles move forward but i failed to make it to the lights before they change yet again to red, i don't know what that distance was but half a kilometre at best.
It's just not going to get any better and don't forget they have already stated there may be advance turns put in for the cross traffic at that intersection which means even longer wait times on the highway!

This is a direct result of an increase in population down Westlake Rd. I work in that area and see the traffic daily, they had to extend the advanced green a LOT, and that is not helping the traffic coming up the highway.

Yes it can be improved, ideally by a double turn lane, but in the meantime we can sit back, relax, enjoy the music, it'll all be over in less than 10 minutes. If you hate it so much take Boucherie and come down Hudson :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:
This is a direct result of an increase in population down Westlake Rd. I work in that area and see the traffic daily, they had to extend the advanced green a LOT, and that is not helping the traffic coming up the highway.

Yes it can be improved, ideally by a double turn lane, but in the meantime we can sit back, relax, enjoy the music, it'll all be over in less than 10 minutes. If you hate it so much take Boucherie and come down Hudson :)

Increase in population was known about for years, i mean planners knew how many homes were forecast for Rose Valley but failed to implement anything useful with our road system. They also knew there was an industrial estate right there with potential for much more building and then there's the gravel pit and all the constant truck movements, that whole area is a busy area yet when they made the move to improve the road we got turn signals and some bike lanes and new tarmac. They also gave us a roundabout. Bartley was always a nasty place to turn off the highway so naturally they gave us more turn signals and now Ross and Daimler too. They have successfully prevented free flowing traffic on the highway through West Kelowna and it will get much worse. I too have lived here for 9 years and seen a drastic change in the traffic.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

The main point of my original post is all the knuckle heads in charge are ruining the west side exactly like they screwed up Kelowna. When the crappy tire and Walmart were built there should have been a proper frontage road with an over/underpass onto 97 all feeding the crappy tire, Walmart and Gelatly not the crazy lights that just slow it all down. Do something about the Westbank downtown area, it's just a waist land anyway of mostly empty buildings. Peachland needs to tell the High Line bypass nuts to shut up and go away because as long as they bicker around about it MOT will do nothing about 4 laning through Peachland and getting rid of those traffic causing lights. Until those lights in Peachland were added you could sail right through to Princeton and on to Summerland. This past Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday traffic was backed up all the way up Drought Hill. It may not be traffic to all you Albertan tourists ( why you guys so scared to go the speed limit around curves?) but to us locals who have lived here for 30-40 years warned of this very thing 20 years ago when all this new construction was wanted and encouraged but our road infastructure was never built to adjust to it. Oh yes, they took our taxes, development cost charges, gas tax, road tax, ICBC increases but not to much of that was ever returned into proper highway or road expansion.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

nikonfan wrote:The main point of my original post is all the knuckle heads in charge are ruining the west side exactly like they screwed up Kelowna. When the crappy tire and Walmart were built there should have been a proper frontage road with an over/underpass onto 97 all feeding the crappy tire, Walmart and Gelatly not the crazy lights that just slow it all down. Do something about the Westbank downtown area, it's just a waist land anyway of mostly empty buildings. Peachland needs to tell the High Line bypass nuts to shut up and go away because as long as they bicker around about it MOT will do nothing about 4 laning through Peachland and getting rid of those traffic causing lights. Until those lights in Peachland were added you could sail right through to Princeton and on to Summerland. This past Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday traffic was backed up all the way up Drought Hill. It may not be traffic to all you Albertan tourists ( why you guys so scared to go the speed limit around curves?) but to us locals who have lived here for 30-40 years warned of this very thing 20 years ago when all this new construction was wanted and encouraged but our road infastructure was never built to adjust to it. Oh yes, they took our taxes, development cost charges, gas tax, road tax, ICBC increases but not to much of that was ever returned into proper highway or road expansion.

And can you imagine what a gong show it would be if the proposed 4 to 5,000 houses ever got built in Peachland at Ponderosa and New Monaco (i think that's what its called) It blows me away that they can sit and approve huge building projects that they say are good for the people of West Kelowna or Peachland yet fail to make concrete plans for improving traffic flow.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

nikonfan wrote:I would like to give a huge shout out and thanks to the MOT, West Kelowna, WFN and Peachland for totally turning the Westside into "Kelowna 2.0".

10 Reasons Why BC is Doing Highways All Wrong
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”